Least accurate gun

My wife got a Remington 22 semi, not sure what the model it was. I didn't have it that long to even find out.
It came as an anniversary gift and I shot a 5 shot group at 50 yds in calm conditions. The group.....8 INCHES
Without her knowing I sold it in a heart beat and bought another 22. I just hope she doesn't look in the safe:rolleyes:

I know that Remington, its 597 model, I got one to, it has like 9lb trigger pull and likes to spit bullets left and right, I did some modifications to it, got it free floated, glass bedded front of action, it shoots OK now using Wolf match and CCI MINI-MAG I even use it to shoot wabits 30 - 50 yards away.

Yep that's it. I never in my life experienced anything like it. I could shoot better groups off hand with my muzzleloader!

I know that Remington, its 597 model, I got one to, it has like 9lb trigger pull and likes to spit bullets left and right, I did some modifications to it, got it free floated, glass bedded front of action, it shoots OK now using Wolf match and CCI MINI-MAG I even use it to shoot wabits 30 - 50 yards away.

Hello everyone worst ones i have owned that really stick out in my mind was a savage 110 in 300win mag. Just trying to get any thing around a 6 inch and you was lucky. then the stock broke around the recoil lug area and the mag shot out about as fast as the bullet. Then i had a 7mm savage 110 my brother bought the same day i bought the 300. the 7mm would shoot 3 inch but that was on a really good day. I had a BAR 300win mag that would not shoot under 8 inch pattern. Them are the worst three rifles i have ever owned so far. I have had a few that will shoot 1.5 to 2.5 which is not for me but im pretty sure they could of got a lot better with handloads.
By the way great site you all have here. I will spent a lot of time on here. I belong to a couple other sites but this one has a lot of stuff and information up my alley.

My worst is an 1893 spanish mauser in 7x57. It shoots 6" groups at 100 with any ammo. The barrel is probably trash since it turned 110 this year. The second worst is my 300 RUM. Rem 700 sps tha shoots 3-4" groups with handloads. That one needs a stock. SBruce, I know what you had with the 220 swift. I rechambered one for my uncle that shot 1.5" when I got it and .5 when I gave it back. That was using the same handloads.

SBruce, I know what you had with the 220 swift. I rechambered one for my uncle that shot 1.5" when I got it and .5 when I gave it back. That was using the same handloads.

I read somewhere that Ruger was using Douglas barrels on their varmint rifles for a while back in the late 60's/early 70's.?? I often wonder if mine was one of those barrels. It sure did shoot sweet for a "factory" rifle.......It didn't shoot those super tight one hole groups until I had it glass bedded and free floated, but it wasn't too bad plain jane stock either.

I read somewhere that Bill Ruger was heard to brag that he never spent more than $12 on a wilson barrel. That was the standard barrel for most calibers/models. The 220 that I worked over was an early '80s production rifle that shot pretty good until some idiot in Alaska trimmed up the breech face and had the headspace set at .040" I had to set it back and re-cut the chamber. I think the improvement in accuracy came from having the chamber cut concentric to the bore.

On the Ruger # 1 if I recall correctly Ruger used Douglas barrels from 1968-1973, Wilson from 1973-1991, and Ruger made their own barrels after 1991.

I have a 1980 Ruger # 1V 220 Swift that shot OK out the box, but nothing like what my 1968 .243 Ruger # 1 S26M groups.

I have a ruger well i just sold it but it was the m77 target and it shoots really good just a tad over a 1/2 inch but its really picky on brass prep. If i dont anneal after three firings she starts opening up the groups really quick. I loaded some new brass up and shot a few groups with the new brass and it was around a 1 1/2 groups. I came back to the house and grabbed some that was new brass that i annealed same charge weight i loaded them the same night and the annealed new brass rounds was right back to a tad over a 1/2 inch. Im a firm believer in annealing case neck after that.

I had a Ruger M77 mark II in 30-06 that shot patterns, not groups. Biggest disappointment ever in a rifle. I have never owned another ruger rifle and will not own one. Now their pistols on the other hand I have more than a few and they are exactly the opposite.

My first bolt action rifle was a 7X57 ruger m77. I was never able to get this rifle to shoot better than a 2" group. After a while I sold the rifle. It may have just needed to be glass beded but I didn't have the knowledge at the time. I haven't had anything shooting that bad since. I still have several fine shooting Ruger handguns.

Howa 300 win with a thumb hole stock sent it back because the stock cracked twice right behind the action and the trigger has a lot of creep and breaks like crap.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.