Least accurate gun

Remington mdl 7400 semi auto. that was the worst gun Ive ever owned. best group I ever got was about 4 inches 3 shot with Federal Premium. 6-7 inches was the norm. That gun cost me a really nice buck. Traded it for an old cheap mosberg 12 ga I was so ****ed.

Remington mdl 7400 semi auto. that was the worst gun Ive ever owned. best group I ever got was about 4 inches 3 shot with Federal Premium. 6-7 inches was the norm. That gun cost me a really nice buck. Traded it for an old cheap mosberg 12 ga I was so ****ed.

Interestingly enough, mine shoots 1 inch groups at 100 yards with 3 types of factory ammo, 4 inch groups with a 4th.

My 7400 was bought at a pawn shop. I am a very capable shooter so something was clearly wrong with it. Im no expert or gunsmith so I dont know what it was didnt keep it long enough to find out. May have been a mistake on my part to get rid of it. Id be interested in your opinion on what was wrong.

Last edited:
Another lemon I had was a Kimber 84M Longmaster Classic .308. New out of the box, the best I could get it to shoot was 2" groups at 100 yards. Kimber's customer service was less than stellar when I contacted them. They acted like it was my problem the rifle wasn't accurate. I sent it back to Kimber. After I got it back it actually shot worse than when I sent it to them. Three months later, with a fair amount of tinkering, I was able to get it to shoot close to 1 MOA with handloads on a good day. But I expected more form what Kimber advertises as a "hunting rifle with a match grade barrel, trigger and chamber."

The Kimber has been long gone for several years and was replaced with a Tikka T3 Stainless Hunter .308 which shot like a dream out of the box with factory ammo.

Needless to say it is very unlikely I will purchase a Kimber again.

My 7400 was bought at a pawn shop. I am a very capable shooter so something was clearly wrong with it. Im no expert or gunsmith so I dont know what it was didnt keep it long enough to find out. May have been a mistake on my part to get rid of it. Id be interested in your opinion on what was wrong.

Hard to say. Could have been fouled or so dirty it didn't shoot well. Or, the crown may have been bad. Other various things come to mind as well. With mine I tried both cheap and expensive loads, and it shot the cheap loads very well (Rem Core-Lokt 150, Federal Fusion) but the expensive ones it did not. That was OK with me. :D

Yours may have ended up at a pawn shop because the previous owner couldn't get it to shoot well either.

FYI last year I tuned my uncle's Sako 30-06 for him. When I started he couldn't hit anything well for a variety of reasons. After the tune we tried 5 kinds of ammo in his. 4 of the 5 shot well at 100 yards and grouped at 1.25 inches or less, but at 200 yards only 1 of those 4 carried over to shooting well. The fact that he could get groups just over 1 inch at 200 yards with one of them was good enough for him. But, it goes to show that ammo can make all the difference in the world.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.