These aren't flies but at least I can eat them!!!!

Desert Fox

These aren\'t flies but at least I can eat them!!!!

Went to our club shooting range afterwork and meet-up with friends, for an afternoon shooting session. I got there ahead of everybody, so I went ahead and set up target at 100 yards, and checked my rifle zero. Fired three rounds from my 308 Tactical Rifle and confirmed that all three 155 Scenars landed dead center at the 1 inch circle of the target. No reason to waste anymore ammo, so I just set there in the bench and wait for my friends. A few minutes had passed when I notice several quail started feeding just behind my target; the two of them were pretty good size. The quail were really an inviting target but I don't want to just blast them away and waste those tasty meat, so I decided to aim for the head. With and acurate rifle and such a short distance was easier said than done. Couple that with a bobbing head that never sitstill, it created quite a challenge. Never the less I did get both of them. I hit the larger of the two a bit low closer to the breast and I split the neck of the small one. The darn Scenar didn't expand /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. Anyway here's the bird picture;
Picture034.jpg

Picture035.jpg

Tomorrow it'll be marinated with Wishbone Italian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Picture036.jpg

Re: These aren\'t flies but at least I can eat them!!!!

What in the world are those orange thingys on the plate?

Eggs! before there popped out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Eggs! before there popped out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that some kind of a delicacy, or what /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif The unborn eggs that is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Nice shooting... you guys must have a pretty early quail season there in California. It doesn't open here untill September. ~JT

Is the season open?.............
confused.gif

Sounds like fun. I would love to bird hunt with a rifle but in Utah it is illegal to harvest birds with anything other than a shotgun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ok, to all the nervous nellies about "shotgun" or "out of season"

Please, when you post these "stories", you just need to have the "disclaimer" they are "For educational purposes only and are stories to illustrate a "technical perspective" and in no way represent any admission of fact, legal deposition or inference of the promotion of illegal activites".

Anyway, "possession of game" is "evidence of hunting" and so please eat the evidence, destroy any pictures and/or "Ted Kazinscy letters" which may implicate you at a future date!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Anyway, they are just "big flyes" and you don't have to scrape them off the paper with a magnifying glass and tip of a needle to eat!

Drive on!!

Mule

So should I go out a whack a Mule Deer in June, take some pictures, post them on this board and then "eat the evidence"? Is it OK? What's the difference between a Quail out of season and a Bear or Steelhead? Out of season is out of season... period. If there is no season on quail in the great state of California... then nice shooting (as I stated in my earlier post). If there is a season... then the shooter can deal with that, I simply asked a question. ~JT

Ah, lighten up a bit.

Just trying to keep the "youthful indescretions" from becomming a "felony". If you needed that muley to feed your family, then I would not care one wit about in/out of season. I get tired of all of us hunters whom finance wildlife and game managment but need a lawyer to wade through game regulations, time adjustments based on miles away from the time zone lines ect. I am not promoting "illegal" harvest of game but I doubt we have the makings of a quail terrorist cell.

Just trying to lighten up the "oh, crap-- he shot quail out of season" flavor of this thread.

Mule

I hear you Mule... I really don't care much about a couple of quail, or a muley doe. But that don't make it right. I figure when it comes to stuff like this the Army policy works well: Don't ask, Don't tell (and definately don't post pictures!) At least he's eating them, if I'd have shot one of those little guys with the .25 or the 6mm there'd have been nothing left but feathers. ~JT

Sorry guys, I didn't relialized that this post created a ruckus. I did'nt mean to offend anyone nor I condoned illegal taking of games. Obviously there was lapsed of judgement on my part here which I'm apologizing to everyone and to make matter worst, posted them on a public forum. With that said, I'll deal with the consequences of my action. Mule, Thank you and .25AOD I'm sorry.
By the way I'm requesting the moderator to delete this post. Thank you. DF

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.