To eat or not to eat

Dave Schenck

The "dream hunt" thread got me thinking. What would be your first choice animal for the table and ideally where would you like to hunti it? I would like a Gemsbok (Oryx) in its natural habitat - the Kalahari desert in Namibia - one of the most beautiful places you could ever hope to find. I would shoot it with a 130Gr 270 bullet - preferably a premium point because they are tough. I have no idea what N American game tastes like but I am sure it is good.

Black Angus Steer about 950 lbs. I'd set up about by the hay shed and shoot it at approximatly 30 yards away with it graising grass -- head shot of course. Then quickly quarter it and get it to the cooler. Oh Ya, I love beef.

Black Angus Steer about 950 lbs. I'd set up about by the hay shed and shoot it at approximatly 30 yards away with it graising grass -- head shot of course. Then quickly quarter it and get it to the cooler. Oh Ya, I love beef.

Now that's funny right there !!!!!!!!!!

I've heard that elk and a lot of other game animals are good to eat really haven't tried that many although i'd like to and plan to.

My younger brother gave me a hunk of backstrap from a young whitetail doe.
I decided to eat it pronto --yeah i was hungry---I had a roaring fire going in the fireplace -one of the steel insert fireplaces.
I decided to sear it over the open flames -so i cut two-three thin steaks - dropped the steaks in italian dressing to soak a minute or two -washed the ash removal shovel off and used it to hold the small cuts of fresh venison -it was snapping popping super hot -couldn't hardly hold the shovel hot.........out came two little steaks sizzling to beat the band --Fit for a king let me tell you...

I use to big game fish a lot and did the same thing w/ yellowfin tuna and wahoo ---i'd get a deep grill as hot as possible charcoal not gas.
Put a little fan aimed into the flames to really get it superduper hot -then throw a fat specially filled -bled out right -pink tuna fillet in there for one minute--so good it will make you tear up ...Man i'm starving now..........

hard to say....

but i feel the degree to which food taste good is directly related to...(1) how hungry you are and (2) the surroundings and the atmosphere in which you consume it...... i remember a certain caribou hunt in Quebec....eating caribou tenderloin and filets of northern pike, grilled over hot campfire coals while watching the northern lights put on a spectacular firey display...yum

another favorite would be grilled dall sheep ribs....of course that was after living off freeze dried food for a week, humping a forty lb backpack, then making a great 400yd shot on a 39 inch ram...

cant leave out moose roast, slow cooked all day in a dutch oven, covered with campfire coals, while out glassing for grizzlies....served over homemade biscuits that my brother made in a frying pan....little burned on the bottom but the gravy cured that.....yum yum....AJ

Two inch thick slabs of moose tenderloin, seared and fried with onions and mushrooms, served with fried potatoes, toast, and an ice cold beer! Moose roast stuffed with mushrooms, onions, green peppers, and bacon and cooked slowly for a few hours ain't bad either. Never had dall sheep, but I have heard it is a delicacy.

I'm starting to drool over here after reading the last couple posts. Makes the Digiorno pizza I'm about to eat seem very very bland.

Thanks a lot fellas :(

A nice fat grain fed antelope from North of Shelby, Montana. These goats are amazingly tender and flavorful. I wish they were bigger. mtmuley

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.