Is the 6.5 Creedmoor the best do it all cartridge ever

Never heard anyone with much hunting/rifle experience at all making all these exaggerated claims about the CM,s abilities, except for maybe a few 12 year olds on FB. And if you spent your time listening to 12 years old on FB, you have bigger problems than your hate for the cartridge.

When I was 12, 20 gauge shotguns and 30-30s were bad ***. Guess it's just a new cartridge these days.

Here is what I came up with for a comparison based of H4350 and Berger 140 VLD with the middle road cartridges, as H4350 is very popular for both, low barrel erosion and Good temp stability, to keep it even I used 24" barrel for all and Ran each one to its design pressure. All to Default COAL listed in QL
So here is my unbiased findings:

Cartridge , Design Pressure, QL Pressure calculation, Speed,
6.5x55 Swedish, 55,114, 55,085 , 2726
6.5x47 Lapua, 63,091 , 63,062 , 2743
260 Reminton, 60,191 , 60,179 , 2748
6.5 Creedmoor , 63,091 , 63,053 , 2803
6.5-284, 59,465 , 59,426 , 2879
6.5-06, 60,200 , 60,147 , 2883

Not a lot of difference in velocity with the middle Cartridges within their design spec. but the 6.5 Lapua is just were I expected it to be within design pressures, less powder capacity same design pressure as Creedmoor equals less velocity.
I did not bother with cartridges like 264 Win Mag or other magnums as H4350 is not a powder for them, even case capacities like the 6.5-284 and 6.5-06 are handicaped using H4350 as far as speed goes.
Before someone says QL is not an accurate method of calculating go to Berger Bullets They also use software for some of their data "The loading data in this manual has been developed using a combination of handloading software and live fire testing."
http://www.bergerbullets.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Safety_Info.pdf

And if we check them out to the best powders for each we would still end up the same.
Interesting. Hodgdon data shows max loads with h4350 the 6.5x47 out doing the Creed by 110fps with 140g.

My experience lines up with Hodgden. Although our Lap is a dasher. Not much of an improvement but does have some.

Either way I would not consider either one of them to be a better 1000y hunting cartridge than a 300wm as the creed has been made out to be.

Steve

I really like my 6.5 Creedmoor, I have grown to love it. The first time I heard of the cartridge I thought Catchy name but give me a 264 Win Mag with a 26" barrel. Then because of circumstance I ended up going with the Creed. Do I think it will out do a 264 WM, no. Do I think it will out do a 6.5 284, at the speed some run their 6.5-284, yes, but to 6.5-284's potential, no.
Even at the speed I run my 143 ELD-X 2998 fps out of a 26" barrel it doesn't really compare as a hunting cartridge to a 300 WM. Even my 30-06 will out do it with heavy bullets 200+ grain at 1000 yards an it is slower than a 300 WM.
Do I think it will take down game at 1000 yard, yes if bullet placement is were it should be. Would I attempt it, no I don't have the experience shooting that distance so I would not try it, to great a chance of me wounding an animal.

Interesting. Hodgdon data shows max loads with h4350 the 6.5x47 out doing the Creed by 110fps with 140g.

My experience lines up with Hodgden. Although our Lap is a dasher. Not much of an improvement but does have some.

Either way I would not consider either one of them to be a better 1000y hunting cartridge than a 300wm as the creed has been made out to be.

Steve
Using your own words. Put them both in sp lapua brass and how can that be. The H data is hornady which cannot handle much more than 57k psi Lapua will run significantly higher. Rl26 isn't an option in the 47 due to that small primer. Leaves alot on the table for the creed. Berger's 135 at 2990 is a sammi load Your not getting there with the 47 and I doubt your dasher will get there either. Cut a chamber for the 147 or in my case we are looking at the 150 serria and now you have something that shouldn't give up anything in a short action to a standard bolt faced cartridge.

Another thing to consider for the east coast lib state guys is this. In Mass NJ NY and a other states are looking at this also. We cannot order components online without a major hassle. In some cases the online places (midway etc etc)will not ship period even with the proper paperwork mailed to them. The state AG here has sent them contracts to not sue if they don't ship the items. Even when they are legal to purchase she will file suit wasting money.
Having a lot of what is mentioned is a fairly tale here because if they don't have in stock they will make sure that you pay there price and there haz mat and there shipping to get it. This translates to highest retail +10% as a rule

I heard Chevy is renaming the Camero to the Creedmoor

The CM isn't the rage in BR
Most-Popular-Long-Range-Rifle-Cartridge.png

This question makes me thing of a Beatles interview question in which they were asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world. In my opinion the 6.5 CM isn't even the best round in the 6.5s.

Hodgdon Shows 6.5x47 using a 30" barrel shooting Berger VLD and running pressures of 52,500 CUP not PSI.
It shows 6.5 Creed using a 24" barrel shooting Hornady A-Max and runnung pressures of 59,200 psi.
Not an apples for apples.
(Funny I have shot Nosler Brass from the get go for My 6.5 Creed, it uses LR primers and I have never had an issue with primer pockets in 1000 round with my first build, some cases over 10 loadings. I really think Hornady had a bad batch of cases when they first came out with the Creed.)
It also shows roughly the same amount of powder for each and both being compressed.
They do not give data like COAL, that surprises me as that is real important to know.
The 6.5X47 Lapua is another cartridge I almost went with. May still someday, who knows. The 6.5-284 is a possible rechamber for my Creed barrel in the future.

This question makes me thing of a Beatles interview question in which they were asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world. In my opinion the 6.5 CM isn't even the best round in the 6.5s.
I always loved that answer, and it's so true sometime you just make do with what you are given. A lot of people don't know Paul McCarthy was the Beatles best Drummer.
But that's another debate every bit as controversial as this one.

Using your own words. Put them both in sp lapua brass and how can that be. The H data is hornady which cannot handle much more than 57k psi Lapua will run significantly higher. Rl26 isn't an option in the 47 due to that small primer. Leaves alot on the table for the creed. Berger's 135 at 2990 is a sammi load Your not getting there with the 47 and I doubt your dasher will get there either. Cut a chamber for the 147 or in my case we are looking at the 150 serria and now you have something that shouldn't give up anything in a short action to a standard bolt faced cartridge.
Sure enough. Subtract the barrel length and they would be very close if you figure 25fps per inch of barrel.

Steve

I always loved that answer, and it's so true sometime you just make do with what you are given. A lot of people don't know Paul McCarthy was the Beatles best Drummer.
But that's another debate every bit as controversial as this one.
Ummm... It's McCartney. mtmuley

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts