Is Leupold Mark 5 HD 7-35x56 too much for hunting?

ChiefO

I have access to a good deal on a Leupold Mark 5HD 7-35x56mm FFP TMR ($1500 NIB w/Mark 4 rings). I was initially looking to buy the 5-25x56 before I came across this deal but after research I see several recommendations to go for the 3-18 version for a hunting scenario. To clarify this is going on a primarily long range hunting rig for out west. It's a GA Precision built Remington 700 in .300 WM with a 3B contour 24" barrel in a Manners EH1A. To say the least it's not a lightweight mountain rifle from the get go but weight wasn't a primary factor in the initial purchase decision. I guess my only concern is whether I will encounter close quarters scenarios that could present a challenge at 7 power. I have other lightweight setups for hunting tight timber and can carry them when that is the plan but I also know how Murphy shows up at inopportune times..lol. Just curious what others have experienced. Thanks!!

In full disclosure I did ask this same question on another forum but figured there may be more with experience on this exact optic here.

My knee-jerk response would be to say yes, but it really isn't that simple. It definitely wouldn't be my first magnification range choice for a hunting optic, but there is a work around for this. There are plenty of people who have mounted a 45° red dot sight for close quarters work and use them with great success. There is a guy named Geoff Nemnich who kills coyotes like cancer. He is an amazing shooter. You can find dozens of his videos on YouTube, under his name and under an excellent series called "the last stand". He has made hundreds of kills on camera everywhere from 10' to 500y or more with a leupold scope that is a 6.5-20×50. He uses the offset red dot on running coyotes with unbelievable efficiency. If you slapped on one of those, and then also hit the wide open west with the option of 35x magnification..... I can't imagine a scenario that you couldn't excel in with that scope.

I personally wouldn't use that for hunting but that doesn't mean it isn't right for someone else. I want a wider FOV to find game quickly if needed. A deal on something that doesn't fit the intended purpose is not really a deal in my book. I hunt whitetails and also western game so I need something more versatile than 7x on the low end.

You guys are echoing what I was getting from some others. The Oregonian, you and I are in the same boat in needing multi-purpose optics.

Now....having marked that off the list. It seems most are in favor of the 3.6-18x44 in the Mark 5. I personally wish the objective was larger. What would be your recommendation given the platform it will be going on. Intended use of this gun is primarily elk and mule deer hunts.

I had one on a varmint rifle and sold it because it was too much scope for me. I replaced it with a 6.5-20.
The 7-35 was a great scope and fun on the range. Good luck.

I've read some of the complaints on leupolds not dialing well but I thought this issue was resolved with the Mark 5 from reviews I read. The Nightforce NX8 is a great optic and I'll certainly put it in the lineup. Back when I shot competitively Nightforce was the standard for LR optics. I'm still active and they offer a discount but not as strong as Leupold. I'm not letting price dictate my direction but it sure helps.

I don't really want to get into a debate on the topic here, but I would trust leupold to dial better than almost any manufacturer out there. Everybody makes mistakes, but they don't make enough of them for someone to say that. I've been dialing them for decades and I've never even seen a tracking issue with my own eyes.

I have access to a good deal on a Leupold Mark 5HD 7-35x56mm FFP TMR ($1500 NIB w/Mark 4 rings). I was initially looking to buy the 5-25x56 before I came across this deal but after research I see several recommendations to go for the 3-18 version for a hunting scenario. To clarify this is going on a primarily long range hunting rig for out west. It's a GA Precision built Remington 700 in .300 WM with a 3B contour 24" barrel in a Manners EH1A. To say the least it's not a lightweight mountain rifle from the get go but weight wasn't a primary factor in the initial purchase decision. I guess my only concern is whether I will encounter close quarters scenarios that could present a challenge at 7 power. I have other lightweight setups for hunting tight timber and can carry them when that is the plan but I also know how Murphy shows up at inopportune times..lol. Just curious what others have experienced. Thanks!!

In full disclosure I did ask this same question on another forum but figured there may be more with experience on this exact optic here.
I just ordered that same exact scope this afternoon illuminated. That will be my 3rd Mk 5 the other 2 are illuminated 5-25x56 TMRs. I can tell you I pay quite a bit more than that. I also have 4- MK4s 2-illuminated, don't let anyone tell you they are no good. And they are made in the USA!!!!! If you don't want that scope, PM me and I will buy it.

I just ordered that same exact scope this afternoon illuminated. That will be my 3rd Mk 5 the other 2 are illuminated 5-25x56 TMRs. I can tell you I pay quite a bit more than that. I also have 4- MK4s 2-illuminated, don't let anyone tell you they are no good. And they are made in the USA!!!!! If you don't want that scope, PM me and I will buy it.
It sounds like he has a pro deal so it is doubtful that you could get the same deal, though I could be wrong.

Easy fellas...not trying to get in a measuring contest here. Not trying to start a ****ing match...just trying to redirect to a solid hunting setup. If we were after a range setup we wouldn't be having this conversation. I fully realize there are emotions involved and I get it...really I do...I'm just trying to make my best choice on a hunting rig for hunting elk and mule deer out west for my setup and potentially me and my wife's rig to make them both viable at anticipated yardages encountered. Yes I do get a pro deal on both Leupold and Nightforce. That has a small bearing on the overall decision. I appreciate everyone's passion and input.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.