Is Leupold Mark 5 HD 7-35x56 too much for hunting?

You don't make any sense. So he will use it on 25x, or 20. So what? He's getting a killer deal on it, better than 5x25
You are right. He can use it at the lower magnification but the bottom end and field of view is what I failed to mention. The purpose of his rifle and style of hunting would definitely suggest that the majority of the time even the low end of 7 would not be to bad in open country.

He should get that scope if that is his only option with his deal.

This is exactly what is mounted on my 300PRC rifle so you can guess my opinion but as many others mentioned above it really depends on the game, your landscape and hunting habits. I would not try to take this rifle in the forest with minimal x7 magnification. Installing a scope like this immediately narrows your range of options so, if you need something more universal you would have to pass by the deal.

IMG_20210318_115818.jpg

show off 😊

Everyone has opinions and experiences so I'll just offer this article. Historically, I have found these guys to be pretty insightful on a variety of topics and good. I'm still in the process of digesting the information.

Everyone has opinions and experiences so I'll just offer this article. Historically, I have found these guys to be pretty insightful on a variety of topics and good. I'm still in the process of digesting the information.

Any experience with the XTR3?

Any experience with the XTR3?
No, I have an older Leupold 6.5x20x50 VXIII which has served me well for many years. My experience (opinion) is that if you're taking 1000+ yd shots, the gun, ammunition (consistency of), and environmental variables wash out the importance or need for uber-high power scopes. It's a system we're putting together and if you focus on one variable and not enough on the others the net results will be lacking. Point being, that if you miss the wind read, etc, you miss no matter the scope.

Being able to dial down in timber weather your out west or anywhere is alway a good option in my option. 18 power is more then enough for shoots out to 700 yard. If you like to shoot pass 1000 yards then (which I wouldn't recommend on game animal) then go for it. JMO

So you're passing up a beautiful buck because it's not far enough away? Wow.
This is a tread in the Long Range Hunting forum. You are arguing about something that is not related to long-range hunting. Yeah, if you have a scope set on 7x you may not find the buck on 30, 50 100 yards, but hay, that's not a point really. If the guy wants a long-range hunting scope and blasts those bucks on 800, that's what this is all about.

This is a tread in the Long Range Hunting forum. You are arguing about something that is not related to long-range hunting. Yeah, if you have a scope set on 7x you may not find the buck on 30, 50 100 yards, but hay, that's not a point really. If the guy wants a long-range hunting scope and blasts those bucks on 800, that's what this is all about.
I'm really not arguing at all. I've just never heard of a hunter, whether capable of 1000 yard shots or not, refusing a beautiful, mature animal because it was too close.

Exactly. If shooting <100 yards, go with a good old 30/30 or something similar and iron sights. For those naysayers, a 30/30 @ 100yds has about the same energy as a 300 Win Mag @ 600 yds. Choose the tool for the application and the forum.

Exactly. If shooting <100 yards, go with a good old 30/30 or something similar and iron sights. For those naysayers, a 30/30 @ 100yds has about the same energy as a 300 Win Mag @ 600 yds. Choose the tool for the application and the forum.
He's not saying that. He is saying he wants flexibility to shoot near and far. Many are in the same boat in this thread, including me.

He's not saying that. He is saying he wants flexibility to shoot near and far. Many are in the same boat in this thread, including me.
I'm just suggesting that @ <100 yards in brush or trees it's the wrong gun (setup) for the application and will lead to frustration. I have been there. A 30/30 is very inexpensive compared to a 300 Win Mag with a $1500 scope. So I finally succumbed to adding a 30/30 to my "portfolio" because I also have a similar LR rifle. To each their own and to their own situation. Take care.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.