How much magnification is too much?

Jay,

That would be 8.5 min/rev. I have only 8-32 power scopes, I'm the kind of guy who puts a 6-24 on a 22LR!. If you have a 6-24 with 68 clicks/rev, I've never seen that and perhaps milanuk should consider moving up to a 8-324 so the floating point math isn't in the picture. I do know that the 8-32's have exactly 64 clicks. No 4 extra after the #8 on the dial. That's interesting. I'm not so sure I'd even like that. Being a computer guy, I like powers of 2, 4,8,16,32,SIXTY FOUR, 128, ... It's easier for ME to do the math because of that just cause I have worked in binary for so long. Binary to hex to decimal conversion is rather native to me.

[ 03-14-2003: Message edited by: 4mesh063 ]

Well Jay, there is no number 8 on my turrets that I just went and looked at. My 8 is a 0 instead. Duh, I guess if there's 64/rev, there would be no 8 on the dial. In any case, 64 it is on the 8-32's

4mesh063,

I guess this comes down to one thing I don't like about 1/8 minute clicks... I'm entirely too used to 15 minutes per revolution, ala Leupold (and others) 1/4 minute click systems. My Weaver V16 has 12, and I though it was weird. As long as its whole numbers of clicks, I can work w/ it. It's nice when the click value is *really* as advertised, as in 1/8 or 1/4 minute, but I have that Sightron where the 1/8 minute clicks (0.125) are closer to 0.150. Kind of messes up being able to count 'minutes', as 5 'minutes' on the turret equals about 6 minutes in reality. Again, w/ a good drop chart, it's workable.

I'm considering just putting the SII up for sale and applying the funds towards a better scope and being done w/ it for good. I don't personally have that much need for 1/8 minute clicks as a general rule. But now that I actually got one scope that could really use them (old steel Weaver T6), it doesn't have them. Go figure. But the 1/4 minute clicks are dead nuts on, no question about it. So it's a keeper in my book!

Monte

Monte&Mesh, I just checked both my sons 6-24 w/bmil-dot and my own with fine plex and my 4-16Sig. on my Cooper, the 6-24s Sigs have 8.5 MOA, goes to #8 then has 4 more clicks to get back to 0, Monte may like this, my 4-16 Sig. (1/4 per click), exactly 64 clicks, (goes to #7 and then 8 clicks back to ZERO) I know that does seem kinda funny that the 6-24s have 8.5, but I didn't make the scopes
grin.gif
Have a good day gentlemen, I'm going to bed.
confused.gif
wink.gif

I recently bought a Burris 200941 8-32x50 with Ballastic Mil-dot and very happy. So I decided to buy a Burris 200930 6-24x50 both of these are black diamonds. I was not happy with the 6-24, it had black dots in the scope that appeared to be something from the factory. This was a new-in-box scope. I believe Burris has great optical engineering but quality control is not so good. Like a hit & miss. The Ballastic mil-dot is a great reticle, though.

Send it back and ask them to get the peckertracks off the lens. I just returned a fogged Black Diamond and they fixed it very promptly, no complaints at all.
Good luck,

I am going to send it back and I love the life time warranty. However, consider this is a new-in-box scope. It just cut my Burris experience in half. New owner should not have to send new scope back to factory to get it right? That's what QA is for? I do love that ballastic mildot reticle and am thinking of getting another black diamond with the side focus. But I also own a few Leupolds and never had this kind of problem with the Lupies. So I am back wondering "black diamond" or "leupold LR".

There was another topic on Burris scope quality and customer service no too long ago at Accurate Reloading... more of the same problems. I'd do a search over there and read up first.

I know many have had good luck with the quality and service but the ones that haven't, and some are real, real bad, they scare the crap out of me so I steer clear of em.

QC should have caught that, but if lots of them look like that you never know if they just let em go and deal with the ones that complain about it.

I have a 2-7 Burris on my Savage Striker 308win I got with the pistol, I'm crossin my fingers until I can replace it with a high power Leupold rifle scope. The posi-lock on mine don't cut it if you dial in for your distance.
frown.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.