Too much

beanur

6x24x50 Vortex too much I want to start long range 1000 yard shooting 270 WSM,,But would like your thoughts is that to much scope for normal hunts under 100 yards some woods or should stay with 4x16 Moa. Thought about buy the bigger of the two and selling if it was to big..Any thoughts or experence with this..most hunts varmints deer elk...gun)

That's the exact scope I have. for under 100 it does get cramped, but when you start stretching it out it is great. It's a compromise between having a scope that's great close in and one that's great for stretching it out. I found that while 6X might be more than needed, it's not that bad even at under 50 yards.

if most of your hunting is done in woods less than 100 yards yes that is too much. 6 power is just too cramped for the woods. I live in Nova Scotia and the woods are so tight here that 40 yards is a long shot (unless you pop out onto a power line).
Here I use a 3X9X40 burris full field mounted on a savage 7mm RM wich I leave on 3 power unless I find myself in a power line then I turn up to 9 power.
When I was liveing on the parraries back in early 1980 to 85 I had 2 systems a 24X lyman mounterd on a ruger #1 300 w mag for open land and a 2X7 redfield on a mod 70 win 3006 for the coolies.
Maybe you might want to use a good quality quick relese mount and have 2 scopes for the same rifle?

For Big Game under 100 Yards , I would want a BIG Reticle ( I like a Post and Horizontal Bar or the German type with an Inverted Post ) and somewhere around 2X to 4X . For 1000 Yard Big Game .... I have no experience . For small Varmints like Gophers and Pdogs at 1000 Yards , I would want as Fine ( Thin ) a Reticle as I could see and a Minimum of 24X on the top end . One of my favorite mid-Range Scopes is a 16X Leupold and the Reticle width just about blots out a Pdog at around 700 Yards if I remember correctly . You can make almost anything work if you try hard enough , but I would go with Gordos previously recommended 2 Scope solution .

Personal preference. Not "too much" but a compromise. I switched from 3-9, 4-12 and 4-16 to 6-24x50 a couple years ago and now even a really good 3-9 makes my skin crawl. I am fine with 6x on the low end. In other-words I personally think the compromise is worth it but very few and hopefully none of my shots are that close when hunting.. I will never buy a variable powered scope again that does not go up to at least 20x.

There is no one perfict scope for all uses.

I personally like the 1.5 x 7s for dangerous game, the 4x14 for general hunting at all distances
and at least 20 power for all target shooting beyond 600 yards.

I have 3.5x14x56 on most of my hunting rifles and find there bottom power of 3,5 to be perfict
for running shots and the ability to increase to 14 power for longer shots.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

D.ID I'm starting to lean towards the 6 low end I guess I could always sell it. I'm thinking if I buy the 4x I'll never know. This is kinda the last scope I will buy for a while. like I said its going a 270 Wsm for now..My next buy will be rifle either 7mm 300 mag or 300 Wsm the most I will get is a 338 just wanting to set up a rifle before I retire again in the next 2.5 years .gun)

Well one thing is for sure, if you get the vortex you will have enough scope for any rifle at about any range and if you decide you do not like it, resale should be very easy.

Will waiting and looking it finally paid off... I got an open box deal from cameraland. I was able to get an open box Vortex 4x16x50 FFP-Moa I figure it was a safe deal being that it was cameraland..Can't wait for it to get here..I'm Like a kid waiting for Christmas.:) Now to save $$ for the next buy a 300 wsm or 300 ultra...Savage maybe. For now it will go on my 270 wsm Browning white gold medallion with an Octagon barrel..gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.