Is Leupold Mark 5 HD 7-35x56 too much for hunting?

Personally I don't like to go above 4x on the low end in a hunting scope but that's just me ... a 3-15x or even better, 3-18x is about perfect but 4-20x is also a solid choice. I was spotting coyotes for a buddy once and had one standing still at 80y for about 30 seconds one time and he was never able to find him in his 6x low end scope. Easiest chip shot we've ever had off his back porch but he had too much scope.

I'd say 7-35x is too much for a rifle that will be used hunting. I have a few 5-25x scopes and prefer that magnification range for hunting situations.

I shot my last 2 deer, one muley and one whitetail at about 25 yards, both in Montana, in places where we expected shots from 200-300 yards. Not what I expected, but both very nice; whitetail just missed B&C. So, 7 IMHO is too much.

VX6 HD is something to consider. I have two of them with two different reticle and am very satisfied. Mine are 3 x 18 x 50.

ChiefO I live in Montana and hunt elk,muleys and sometimes black bear with a 300 win mag and my go-to rifle wears a Leupold VX lll 6.5-20X50.
I have never had a problem with it.
A good friend had the same scope several years ago and fell off the side of a steep hill and long story short the scope hit a huge clump of rocks and bent the whole scope in the 1st week of elk season.He called Leupold and gave serial number on scope and a pic of bent scope still mounted and Leupold told him to mail the scope to them and gave a RO number.They express mailed a brand new scope that day and didn't even have the broken scope in hand yet!
Stan got the scope in 3 days.We mounted the scope and he finished the season with the new Leupold.
Nightforce will not do that.I tried a used Nightforce as a loaner and it was just too heavy as I am not young and healthy.Thats why the owner wanted to sell that Nightforce,too heavy.
7 power is a bit much for close work like a few others have said but I have picked up animals fairly close at 6.5.
On another rifle a weatherby vanguard(howa) 300 weatherby mag that I got just for long range and a huge muley showed up at 12 yards so just beware of short distance just incase.
Flyguy1 knows that feeling.
Old Rooster

If you are going to shot only long range it would be a good way to go I think, but there has been trouble dialing in Leupold scopes for different yardages. Now I don't know if they have corrected their problem. I used a 6 x 20 Leupold for a few years deer hunting. Found that FOV was to small at close ranges even on low power, and hard to find the animal. Hunting in the west can be close or far. I moved to a 2x8 Leupold scopes on most of my hunting rifles with a duples, but my yardage are about 500yds or less. Now I just got a CrimsonTrace Ser-5 in 3x18x50mm with a 34mm tube. It will be awhile before I use it to see how it's going to work out. My ranges will extend out into the 700 to 800yds ranges with that scope. Now I got a hell of a price for it, and so if it don't work out I will go to a NightForce scope in the same range of power. Now if you are going to shoot ground Squirrels or small varmints at longer yardages, that a different story. I use a straight 20 power on my 220 swift for that, but the scope you are looking at would be great for that. If the price is right you can try it and see how it works out for you. You can mount it on something else if it doesn't work out or sell it. The other is why are to other people selling the scope? There might be something going like the scope isn't tracking. Now I like Leupold scopes and have several of them. I have been one that use the duplex as my range adjuster for yardage out to 600yds and adjusted my hole by using the duplex.

How far do you want too shoot? How good are your eyes? How old are you?

I am old - my eye sight gets worse every year - I like to shoot far.

I love my Mark5 7-35. The 7x on the low side has not been an issue given this scope has a 35mm main tube.

While the scope might not be for everyone (cost alone) be carful to group it based on 7x or 35x when comparing it to more traditional "skinny" main tubes. Likewise comparing the Mark5 line to other older <$ Leupold scope turrets. The Mark 5 has great hardware. And it have a steep price to go along with it.

I which I could afford to put this scope on prairie dog gun.

jjw
ND

A lot of the statements in this thread are exactly why pro deals get taken away... then people cant understand why...

As for the actual question being asked in this thread I have the 5-25 mark 5 and a 3.6-18. Both are great scopes. I have not shot with the one you mentioned but I would imagine on a sunny day the mirage would be killer and the amount of times the high end was useable would not be very often.

I wouldn't trust a leupold if your going to dial it. I know of two Mark5s that have lost zero after adjusting. I would personally look at the nightforce nx8 4-32.
I know of two guys who miss dialed a solution. I wouldn't use anything but open sights and Kentucky windage. Rolling eyes; shaking head ; LMAO........

A lot of the statements in this thread are exactly why pro deals get taken away... then people cant understand why...

As for the actual question being asked in this thread I have the 5-25 mark 5 and a 3.6-18. Both are great scopes. I have not shot with the one you mentioned but I would imagine on a sunny day the mirage would be killer and the amount of times the high end was useable would not be very often.
You don't make any sense. So he will use it on 25x, or 20. So what? He's getting a killer deal on it, better than 5x25

I used to want the highest magnification scopes. I prefer them for range shooting. But they are not worth a flip very early and very late. All of my hunting rigs have 2-20x and 3-15x. Low magnification is vital in low light and if your target just got bumped from his bed. You just can't find him at 7x magnification at 80 yds. I know some super humans say they can, but those of us that have tried (and don't wear a cape) can't.
Low magnification will save your hunt sometimes and the additional magnification on the upper end can't do that for you.

I used to want the highest magnification scopes. I prefer them for range shooting. But they are not worth a flip very early and very late. All of my hunting rigs have 2-20x and 3-15x. Low magnification is vital in low light and if your target just got bumped from his bed. You just can't find him at 7x magnification at 80 yds. I know some super humans say they can, but those of us that have tried (and don't wear a cape) can't.
Low magnification will save your hunt sometimes and the additional magnification on the upper end can't do that for you.
8o yds is not long range hunting. just saying....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.