Is Leupold Mark 5 HD 7-35x56 too much for hunting?

I had one on a varmint rifle and sold it because it was too much scope for me. I replaced it with a 6.5-20.
The 7-35 was a great scope and fun on the range. Good luck.
So you traded a 7x low end with 14.7' FOV for a 6.5x low end with 14.1' FOV because the 7-35 was too much? Was it the extra .5x low end but wider FOV?

I just went through the same thing with a hunting scope. I put a 5x20x56 nightforce on for pa deer hunting and took it off because hunting in the woods the fov was just to small for moving deer at close range in the woods. IMO knowing what type of area your hunting is what you should be focused on making that decision if it is to much scope. I own or have owned about every nf scope out there but i am back to a 4x12 swaro for deer hunting pa woods. If your not in wooded timber go big.

I wouldn't trust a leupold if your going to dial it. I know of two Mark5s that have lost zero after adjusting. I would personally look at the nightforce nx8 4-32.

I know of a few NF that have had issues as well. All brands will have scope failures.
To the OP. I have NF, Mark5HD, ZEISS, SB Exos, Swaro and so on. The Mark5HD in 5-25 is what I would recommend. I have a few in the 5-25 as well as the 3.6-18. I much prefer the 5-25 over the 3.6-18. I've been dialing the hell out of my Mark5's and not a single issue. I've also yet to see or hear of anyone having any issues with the turrets or zero on the Mark5's. Only issue I've seen or heard was a parallax that came free. Don't over think it too much. Get the 5-25 and be done. You'll have no regrets. Good luck.

Have the NX8 4X32 on my 28 Nosler but going to try a Mark 5 -5X25 on my 6.5 PRC. Love the Nightforce if I don't like the Mark % I'll have another NX8. Just my 2 cents, good luck on your choice.

Morning -

For me, as a west coast, coastal hunter, it is too much glass. My primary "big game" hunting is wild / feral pig and non-migratory deer in mostly rolling hills / oak savannah. I've traveled out of state for elk and mule deer and have been comfortable with the optics I have - though I must say I recently upgraded a scope to a Swaro Z6i 2.5x15x44 and am very pleased (my tired eyes are :) ) at the clarity and 15 power.
I've tried to create a balanced approach (and not duplicate the same zoom power on everything) - binos support glassing, spotting scope to reach out, rifle scope for a range (for me) up to 400yds.
Hope this helps and best of luck!!

Best

Michael

I have access to a good deal on a Leupold Mark 5HD 7-35x56mm FFP TMR ($1500 NIB w/Mark 4 rings). I was initially looking to buy the 5-25x56 before I came across this deal but after research I see several recommendations to go for the 3-18 version for a hunting scenario. To clarify this is going on a primarily long range hunting rig for out west. It's a GA Precision built Remington 700 in .300 WM with a 3B contour 24" barrel in a Manners EH1A. To say the least it's not a lightweight mountain rifle from the get go but weight wasn't a primary factor in the initial purchase decision. I guess my only concern is whether I will encounter close quarters scenarios that could present a challenge at 7 power. I have other lightweight setups for hunting tight timber and can carry them when that is the plan but I also know how Murphy shows up at inopportune times..lol. Just curious what others have experienced. Thanks!!

In full disclosure I did ask this same question on another forum but figured there may be more with experience on this exact optic here.

I don't think you should buy it! Just give me the seller's info & I'll go ahead & take it off his hands.🤨

Same boat I am in - trying to decide between the Mark 5 and NX8 - I think both will perform better then I/my gun will ever be able to shoot haha

Easy fellas...not trying to get in a measuring contest here. Not trying to start a ****ing match...just trying to redirect to a solid hunting setup. If we were after a range setup we wouldn't be having this conversation. I fully realize there are emotions involved and I get it...really I do...I'm just trying to make my best choice on a hunting rig for hunting elk and mule deer out west for my setup and potentially me and my wife's rig to make them both viable at anticipated yardages encountered. Yes I do get a pro deal on both Leupold and Nightforce. That has a small bearing on the overall decision. I appreciate everyone's passion and input.
That's a great price and perhaps getting it and trading into or selling it on to get what you really want could be a path for you. I shoot a 5-26.x56 for PRS and have hunted w/it, and dial the magnification way down for game (12-15x max). That much magnification in a hunting scope makes acquiring targets and especially getting back on-target pretty tough when under pressure. Right now I'm very happy hunting a Leica 2.5-10x50 w/ballistic reticle - .300wm is a good match for this optic out to 500 yards.

That is a killer deal for that scope. I picked up a 3X15 X44 5HD to put on my Custom 300 WSM and it has worked perfectly so far. turned down to 3 works for most brushy areas and up to 15 for for the longer distance shots. but, I limit my shots to 450 yds and most have been under 200. Most often this scope is available delivered for under $1K. It also weighs under 20 ounces if that makes a difference to you.

Where is the majority of your hunting going to be done ? If your in timber then it will be to much if your hunting in Wyoming Montana or Colorado it would be fine.

I really think only you can answer that question. Where do you hunt, in the wide open west, or in the forests of the east. Trying to make quick acquisition on seven power in the woods is awful hard, at least it is for me. If your hunting where it is farily open and you are doing a lot of glassing and setting up for longer range stuff I think it would probably work. It would not be my first choice by any means.

I wouldn't use that magnification range personally. Even mule deer hunting out east in Montana my opportunities have popped up from glassing / distance and from walking up and over coulee to coulee. I want the lowest mag when walking and dial it up only when needed.

That's just me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts