IOR scope selection advice needed

ohnomrbillk

I'm building a 224 TTH on a savage single shot RBLP. It will wear a heavy barrel and an A5L stock from the great Mr. Russo. It will be shot only prone, or off a bench. Targets will range from paper to Pdogs. 100 yard minimum, to 1000 yard on rare occasion. 300 to 400 yards pdog shots will be common. So...
Do I get the 10x56, 10x42, or the 16x42 and why.
Thanks in advance. wk

I've been bustin' my chops deciding on a scope. I'm trying to consider all of the variables and found that any of the upper end scopes will do the job. But doing the job the most efficient way is what's important.

You have defined your "job" quite nicely. Paper or PDs only. Thus the fixed power is a good choice.

Your shooting will be done in daylight hours only so you don't have to worry about dawn and dark. However the fixed power scopes are better for light transmission than the variables. Thus, objective diameter isn't that much of a consideration. Except for size, weight and bulkiness.

Target definition and clarity out weights power and brightness. An example is good eye glasses that darken are better than poor eye glasses that don't. The sight picture is darker but definition is much better.
With most targets in the 3 to 400 yd range and even if it went regularly to 1K, 10X will work well.

Next the reticle. I'd suggest that the MP-8 is the only way to go. But it would be better if it were MOA vs Mils. But a drop chart printed in both MOA and Mils will save shot adjustment time if the occasion arises.

Conclusion: First choice: 10X42, Second Choice: 16X42, third choice: 10X56

If you're spotting through the scope then I may, just may, move the 16X42 to teh #1 spot. If you're switching from a spotting scope to the rifle, then target acquisition will be a bit quicker/easier with the 10X with its larger field of view.

Not enough Scope Mag.....

Unless you have "wunderkind" eyes , I would not go for any of those choices for Pdogs at 1000 Yards . For my old eyes , 16X for Pdogs works out to maybe 600 Yards or so ....and that's with a FINE crosshair . At that range , the Crosshair will just about blot- out the Pdog . I did make some lucky hits at 635 Yards with a Leupold 16X , but I was wishing for more Power . Beyond that , I would want a lot more Magnification .

Hi,
I got 16x42 with MP-8 and I love it.
I did a comparation side by side with Leupold VX III 6-20x50 with 30mm tube and I setup the leupold at 16x power to be the same as IOR.
I ranged far far away with both scopes and IOR bit by far the leupold (sorry leupold guys) by CLARRITY, CRISP IMAGE AND BIGGER FIELD OF VIEW.
Yes field of view bigger then Leupold and the IOR is 16x42 with 30mm tube.

I could not belive my eyes the quality of this scopes.
To answer your questions, go with 16x42 and get from Gene at optic buster the 3x lens adaptor.
I am not familiar with the IOR scopes but if the eyepiece is between 1.4 and 1.75 inches in diameter, we have a polymer rubber adaptor that will slip on the scope and it should work fine. The 3X one will enlarge the image to abot 20X. The lens is $100 and the adaptor is $5. If you want to try one know it can be returned for a full refund, send a check to:
Gene Davis
3450 Pleasantville Rd. NE
Pleasantville, OH 43148
E-mail: [email protected]
Thanks,
Gene

So this can ansver your questions and also get you more power for pdogs at 1k.

Chris

I've got a 16x IOR on my 8twist 22-250 that works great and another one that floats around from gun to gun.
I used it to shoot prairei dogs to 2200 yards with the BMG, it workt but 1000-1500 yards is practicle! Have not had much mirage problems with 16x even in the heat of the day here in Wyoming so the 16x get my vote.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.