Vihtavuori powder

They stated the older the powder gets the hotter it gets
This is true with all powders. Depending on the climate you live in. In a high humidity environment powders absorb moisture, slowing their burn rate, and in a desert environment they dry out, increasing their burn rate. I have experienced this, in both environments.
Here's a rabbit hole for ya: 😁
I have gone to using the Boveda packs and a small Bluetooth monitor to control/ stabilize powder moisture levels.

Last edited:
Some years ago I read an article that one of these powders can turn acidic with age and can self ignite. I don't remember what number so I discontinued using Vihtavuori powder altogether.

I clearly remember looking into a bottle and noticing a slight yellow hase on the powder and it had a acidic smell. This was about 38 years ago. I'm sure it has been corrected by the manufacturer and not to worry any longer. I personally continue using the most common brands IMR etc.

What is your barrel length? I find N565 just about perfect for a high density load with 100% powder burn for 175s out of my 22" barrel.

It's 26" and I'm using h1000 and rl26 with my loads now. Thinking of trying the b powders and get a few pounds on hand that I know work just to have back up

It's 26" and I'm using h1000 and rl26 with my loads now. Thinking of trying the b powders and get a few pounds on hand that I know work just to have back up
The you can probably go with a slower powder like N570, but you'll most likely have a full case with a bit of a crunch at max pressure.