Rifle scope buying advice needed!

yodasheet

Hey guys!

I've occasionally had the opportunity of hunting with my friends rifle and it was always an amazing experience.

Last week I decided to pick it up as a serious hobby now but I still have lots to learn.

I'm sick of using my friend's gun and scope, so I've already purchased a rifle (Marlin X7) but I want to put some more research into scopes so thought I would ask you lovely people.

I've seen some great options compared on on old threads and am leaning towards the Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn as it seems like a really great buy for the price.

I've set myself a budget of $250 for the scope – what do you guys recommend?

Also I am looking for something in the range of 200-300 yards.

Thanks ahead for all the help!

I have a Marlin X7 that I love . I have just a plain old Leupold VX1 3-9X40mm on it that is a perfect fit for that rifle . That scope can be had for around $200 . With that being said , I have a Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12X42mm on another rifle that in my opinion is a great scope for the money . Its very clear and has a bdc reticle that is very nice . With a little searching you can find one for just under $300 . There are a lot of great scopes out there in the price range you have . I'm sure you will get more good advice from others on this forum . Hope this helps . By the way , what caliber is your X7 ?

The diamond back hp is hard to beat and it can be had for sub $250.

High magnification isn't needed for the distances described. A 3-9x will meet the needs. Look into leupold vx2 3-9x.

I am often in the same market as you. I agree with the Vortex comments, Also check out Nikon and Leupold, they both have some that are in the price range you speak of. Reticle is something to keep in mind. as you can build drop charts if you have a reticle like the vortex BDC.

currently I have a vortex diamondback 3x9x40 on my 300wm. then a vx2 leupold on my .375h&h. and a Nikon 3x9x40 on my savage 22.

My main criteria for scope searching is weight (as I hike many miles with mine) glass clarity, warranty and magnification of course. to big of a bell, and your scope sits high and can be awkward to get a quick sight picture.

Swarovski makes some incredibly light scopes.. as for the glass the name can vouch for itself.

Swarovski makes some incredibly light scopes.. as for the glass the name can vouch for itself.

I love my swaro's, but they won't hit his budget.

Find a used vari x 3, vx2, etc (they can be had for a decent price) Also the cabelas Euro scopes are on sale as well.

I'd look at somewhere in the 3.5x10 or 3x9 variant.

The Leupolds are bulletproof and made in america, between my dad and I we have 50 years on our main hunting rifles with them and probably north of 100 big game kills.

A good friend of mine is selling a like new vx-1 4-12x40. He just recently upgraded scopes after I let him shoot one of my guns at distance. He's asking $250 for it. It's like new, only a few months old. If you're interested pm me and I can send you some pictures and his contact info.

People need to get over the name Swarovski. The binoculars are fantastic. The scopes are mediocre. I had four z5 5-25X 52 and none had glass as good as Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 or Leupold VX-6 4-24X52. They are about four ounces lighter than the 6500 and six ounces lighter than the VX-6. During the two or three years I used the z5 it went back twice for a new erector.

People need to get over the name Swarovski. The binoculars are fantastic. The scopes are mediocre. I had four z5 5-25X 52 and none had glass as good as Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 or Leupold VX-6 4-24X52. They are about four ounces lighter than the 6500 and six ounces lighter than the VX-6. During the two or three years I used the z5 it went back twice for a new erector.

Didn't you send back 2 of your Bushnells that didn't focus right as well?

Didn't you send back 2 of your Bushnells that didn't focus right as well?

The first one I bought was blurry above 25X. I sent it to customer service. When it came back it was crystal clear at the top end but was blurry below about 10X. I returned it to Bushnell for a full refund. That's what they were doing in those days.

I have never had other problems with them like I did with the Swarovskis. The Bushnells have been on big kickers while the Swarovski was on a rifle about seven pounds with a case like the .25 Gibbs firing eighty-five grain bullets. Not exactly a big kicker.

My biggest gripe is that Swarovski's glass is not as good as the others I mentioned and cost about twice as much when I purchased these scopes; aside from the fact of replacing the erector twice.

The first one I bought was blurry above 25X. I sent it to customer service. When it came back it was crystal clear at the top end but was blurry below about 10X. I returned it to Bushnell for a full refund. That's what they were doing in those days.

I have never had other problems with them like I did with the Swarovskis. The Bushnells have been on big kickers while the Swarovski was on a rifle about seven pounds with a case like the .25 Gibbs firing eighty-five grain bullets. Not exactly a big kicker.

My biggest gripe is that Swarovski's glass is not as good as the others I mentioned and cost about twice as much when I purchased these scopes; aside from the fact of replacing the erector twice.

You are entitled to your opinion, one which you and you alone pretty much have..

Ive used them side by side with NF, Leupolds, Etc and none of them have matched when it came to detail, low light, or looking into the shadows.

You are entitled to your opinion, one which you and you alone pretty much have..

Ive used them side by side with NF, Leupolds, Etc and none of them have matched when it came to detail, low light, or looking into the shadows.

You are entitled to your opinion also. I also have used them side by side with a Nightforce 12-42X56 and a 5.5-22X56. None of my Swarovskis could keep up with them for detail or low light performance. I don't compare them by looking into shadows. I used to think my Bushnells were as good as the Nightforces when I did that and looked at leaves and twigs in the woods. Then I switched to an optical chart for resolution and deer antlers in the woods for low light comparison after the sun sets. They can not be hand held for this purpose or you get wrong information.

I read of others who love Swarovski binoculars but who will not own one of their scopes. I didn't believe them when I first purchased mine. Of course now I do.

This would be hard to beat for the price...

Minox ZA 5 HD 2-10x40

Maintenance | Camera Land NY[name]=Minox-ZA-5-HD-2-10x40---Plex-minox&catalog[product_guids][0]=1258642

In the past I would have suggested the $299 Eurooptic Zeiss Conquest but those sold out.

Rifle scope discussions are a can of worms. I have been as guilty as many with posting my opinion and will try to restrain myself in the future. Choices are extremely numerous and individual input is only personal perception. I've read hundreds of opinions on the best scope and there are hundreds of opposing arguments for one's favorite. The OP gave a price range and distance and could possibly go up a few $. Perhaps he should do more research and possibly take a trip to a shop or two and physically view scopes to arrive at what he perceives as a good fit. Most scope manufacturers have fairly good customer service and some are downright excellent. Prior to purchase, check the online sites like Amazon, Cameraland, Optics Planet etc. Lots of sale items this time of year, many with free shipping TYD. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.