Scope advice needed

tundraotto

Howdy - 1st time poster here and could use some help. I have a Sako TRG-S in .270 Win and have a 3-9x40 Nikon Buckmaster on as a scope - it just doesnt do for longer range for me - as nice a scope as it is for the price. I am looking to upgrade with:

*20 MOA Farrell base (as long as I can find one)
*Scope for up to 1000yds

I have done some research and so far these scopes have sparked my interest:

*Nikon 6-24x50 Monarch -1" tube
*Pentax 8.5-32x50 Lightseeker-30 +30mm tube
*Bushnell 4.5-30x50 Elite 6500 -too many $$$ -no MOA turrets +30mm tube.
*IOR 16x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope -way too much $$$ (maybe could find a sample one if this is the one)

I am kind of limited to $500-$600 for the scope and would like more rather than less magnification. I would like to stick to a major brand as I would like for this scope to be it. Am I too fixated on the 30mm tube?

Tell me what you think. Trying to do this once

In your price range the Nikon is a great scope. The Bushnell 4200 Tactical is in that price range also and has turrets but the glass leaves much to be desired in my opinion. Another $50 or so would buy a 6-24 Sightron SIII and with 100 minutes of adjustment should get you to 1000 with a 0MOA base.

BUMP -

I have narrowed it down to the 2 Bushnells;

Elite 4200 4-24x50 Mildot
Elite 6500 4.5-30x50 Mildot

Is the extra dough warranted for the 6500? I like everything on it except the turrets - If it had the 4200 knobs it would be a done deal...

Any aftermarket knobs available for the 6500?

the 6500 is getting a reputation that it won't hold POI. quite a few of them are being returned for this reason.

i'm with KRP, the Sightrons are a great buy for the money. the turrets and tracking of the Sightrons are second to none.

thanks for the replies!

While it aint perfect well see what she'll do.

I ordered the Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 mildot from ebay with my 10%ebay coupon and the $153 microsoft coupon - I hope that one comes in 60 days like its supposed to...

so paid about $300 for it which seems like a steal to me compared to what they seem to sell for...

Hopefully its all that, I cant find a Ken Farrell 20MOA base so I just got the Burris 2pc tactical picatinny mounts for SAKO dovetail with the Burris XTR Mediums and some butler Creeks. Hopefully it works out - will put some serious time on it soon.

Good luck with it, I hope it works well for you and you are happy with it. I think you will want a sloped base or some Burris Sig rings to go along with it. The one I had didn't quite have 50MOA of total adjustment.

Let us know how everything works out.

I was going to say to check out Weaver, but...lol. :rolleyes: Bushnell should work out fine, I had some cheap ($110) Tascos and they weren't horrible, but did leave something to be desired. I replaced one with a 6-24x42mm AO 1" Weaver V24. Quite a difference, but still not as good as $1000 glass. I have a VX-III 6.5-20x50 LR 30mm tube on my 22-250, but don't quite have the money to do this on every gun. I left the one Tasco (6-24x40mm MD AO 1") on my .17 HMR and it's satisfactory, I guess.

The Bushnell should definitely work out for you, should be quite a difference.
(There are no BAD scopes, just many grades of GOOD. lol) Don't know if that is really true:D?

Good Luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.