IOR scope info needed

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Bob S., Dec 22, 2004.

1. Bob S.

Bob S. Well-Known Member

I'm thinking I want to try out an IOR scope. I held one awhile back and liked what I saw but had nothing at the time to side by side with. Where are the best deals on an IOR scope? 2.5-10x42 or maybe 4-14x50. I don't really like the larger objectives but...How bout the mp8 reticle vs the mildot.

2. sakofan

sakofan Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm thinking I want to try out an IOR scope. I held one awhile back and liked what I saw but had nothing at the time to side by side with. Where are the best deals on an IOR scope? 2.5-10x42 or maybe 4-14x50. I don't really like the larger objectives but...How bout the mp8 reticle vs the mildot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would recommend Quality Optic's Jim Maloney as far as a dealer is concerned. He hangs out here from time to time.

Several on this board have owned and liked IOR's.

I recommend the 2.5-10x42 tactical.
    I'm not real keen on IOR's hunting scopes. They are big, bulky and frankly the Zeiss Conquest eats it up. Not to mention several others.

But, the tactical models are where IOR really shines. Good solid adjustments, clear glass, tough.

May I ask what caliber of rifle you are concidering scoping with the IOR?
    The reason I ask is because I did have some eye relief issues with mine while mounted on a .300 Win mag.

I really like the MP8! I like it better than the standard mil dot. Very user friendly, and not a "busy" reticle at all..sakofan..Look up Jim @ Quality Optics. He'll treat you right! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Bob S.

Bob S. Well-Known Member

Sako fan - Thanks for the reply, I know <u>you</u> have addressed this in the past but I couldn't find a web address or email for Q-optics. The rifle is a 338 win mag and I am seriously considering a brake installation when it gets rebarreled this spring. That should help with eye relief problems. I was looking at the tacticle model 2.5-10x42. I have been a leupy fan for years mostly because of the warranty work they did for me in the past but want to try something with really good glass that I can afford (read can't afford swaro).The nikon, zeiss have caught my attention as well and the night force would be pretty hard to justify to the wife so I'm caught in the middle ground and want the best I can get for the money. I'm not looking for cheap just the best value. This will be a hunting rifle but I think I want a tacticle scope on top. The 1/2 mill clicks sounds like a good thing for come ups how are they to zero?(only dealt with 1/4 &amp; 1/8 in the past). I like the looks of the mp8 reticle as well. I hope this doesn't sound wishy-washy but its a tough decision when there are many trade-offs between the different scopes. I guess thats what causes all the discussion and soap boxing when scopes are mentioned.

4. Mike in Texas

Mike in Texas Well-Known Member

I have the 2.5-10x hunting version with 1/2 moa adjustments on my TRG-S in 338 Lapua.

Holds up quite well,although eye relief was close until I installed a better recoil pad. Seems IOR gives ER from the ocular, but does not take into account the adjustment bell extension which removes 3/8 inch relief. It can come to get you on larger rifles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Zero was easy and the 1/2 moa turrets let me adjust to 1000 yards in a single 25 moa turn of the elevation.
    May send it in to be fit with the -8 reticle for ranging and fast hold overs but so far I've not given up anything with the hunter model.

The only quirk found was that the parallax, while compensated for at ranges above 10 yards, will not allow use of 10x at 100 yards, which you'd only want for sight in anyway. On my scope 8x is max, and that's fine for the job at hand.

5. sakofan

I havent seen Q Optics on the boards for some time.
    I think I have his personal email, and if you like I can try to contact him.

I'm not as hot on IOR's as I was. But, I think they are a great value!!
    I like the FFP reticle when using a mil dot, MP8 or equivalent. Personal perference. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    IOR has opted to go to more of a "American" style scope, ie RFP or non magnifing reticle. But, so is Night Force, Leupold and many others.

To get into the FFP reticle scopes, you are talking about names like US Optics, S&amp;B, Zeiss, etc...$$$$ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So like I stated, IOR is a great value in tactical scopes.

Jeff in Texas should get in this thread too, as he is an IORite.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif...sakofan....

6. Mike in Texas

Sakofan,
    If it ever gets here, SWFA is marketing a new unit for a company called Extreme Optics. 4-16x56 with target turrets and FFP mil dot. I did the alpha and beta unit testing. Ziess conquest won't come close ( assuming the production units match the engineering units) and the cost is $800.00.

Take a look at one when SWFA gets them into stock. Might be a good solution to the ffp selection issue.

Mike
    Granbury (Hoodcounty)
    Texas

7. Jeff In TX

Jeff In TX Well-Known Member

Sakofan,

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

I was actually at Jim's house last week while on a business trip to KC. I was able to pick up my new SouthPaw DPMS 20" Bull Panther AR-15.

It's sporting a brand new IOR fixed 10X tactical with the MP-8 reticle. Very nice setup.

Anyhow Jim is still alive and kicking and will beat anyone's prices on IOR. He also handles US Optics scopes, but they're out of my price range.

Here's the link.

Merry Christmas everyone and have a happy and safe holiday season!
    Quaitly Optics <font color="blue"> </font>

8. Bob S.

Bob S. Well-Known Member

Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. sakofan

[ QUOTE ]
    Sakofan,

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

I was actually at Jim's house last week while on a business trip to KC. I was able to pick up my new SouthPaw DPMS 20" Bull Panther AR-15.

It's sporting a brand new IOR fixed 10X tactical with the MP-8 reticle. Very nice setup.

Anyhow Jim is still alive and kicking and will beat anyone's prices on IOR. He also handles US Optics scopes, but they're out of my price range.

Here's the link.

Merry Christmas everyone and have a happy and safe holiday season!
    Quaitly Optics <font color="blue"> </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Jeff!!

Glad to know Jim is doing well. I wouldn't buy an IOR from anybody but Jim. He's a great guy.
    He also handles Badger Ord. rings and P rails.

The new rifle sounds great!! Have you had a chance to shoot it yet??
    I have admired those DPMS setups at a distance. Never got to hold one, let alone shoot one. Please give us here a full report as soon as you can...sakofan....

10. sakofan

[ QUOTE ]
    Sakofan,
    If it ever gets here, SWFA is marketing a new unit for a company called Extreme Optics. 4-16x56 with target turrets and FFP mil dot. I did the alpha and beta unit testing. Ziess conquest won't come close ( assuming the production units match the engineering units) and the cost is $800.00.

Take a look at one when SWFA gets them into stock. Might be a good solution to the ffp selection issue.

Mike
    Granbury (Hoodcounty)
    Texas

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike, I saw that scope talked about on some various forums, including SWFA's. I hope it lives up to it's billing. I already am NOT crazy about a 56mm objective lens. 4-16x is just right for me though.

Since you were involved in the testing, can you share your personal observations about the Extreme??
    "Inquiring minds want to know!" ..sakofan... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. Mike in Texas

I'm not a big fan of 56mm objectives either, but you do the marketing research and find out what sells. 56mm sells more than any other high end scope. Since this is XO's first venture they wanted to gather market share with their 1st product. It does have some incredible glass on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now,
    What would you like to know and I'll try to be as specific as I can.

12. Jeff In TX

Jeff In TX Well-Known Member

Sakofan,

[ QUOTE ]
    The new rifle sounds great!! Have you had a chance to shoot it yet??
    I have admired those DPMS setups at a distance. Never got to hold one, let alone shoot one. Please give us here a full report as soon as you can...sakofan...

[/ QUOTE ]

The new DPMS looks to be a shooter. Jim and I put about 30 rounds down range. We were shooting Blackhills ammo, but really don't know how well it shoots yet.

The trigger pull is probably around 6 to 8 pounds, which didn't help much with ringing out the accuracy. Plus we literally had the sun setting right over the target, so we fought that small issue. Both Jim and I had a couple of .75 groups @ 100 yards. Not too bad to start off with.

I think once I get the trigger pull down to around 2 or 3 crisp pounds the groups will tighten up nicely.

This was my first experience shooting any type of AR rifle, so we're still in the hand holding stages. Once the holidays are over, I'll work on the trigger and really start to shoot it and see what it can do.

By the way, Jim is a DPMS dealer also and like all his customers, he treated me very well on the deal.

Before coming out to pick up the rifle, Jim took it to George at GA Precision to install the ambidextrous safety and Teflon coat the barrel. George also gave it good going over. The rifle checked out very well. I picked the rifle up at GA Precision before heading to Jim's. Marty took the time to show me the ins and outs of the rifle and how to break it down and put it back together. Once I understood exactly how to break it down and put it back together, Marty made sure. He broke it down one last time went back to work. As he was leaving, he told me to put it together and have a great time shooting it. There is really nothing to it, but was really glad he took the time to make sure I understood the process. Excellent customer support.

I'll keep you posted once I see what it can really do. But I really like it so far.

Happy Holidays!

13. sakofan

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm not a big fan of 56mm objectives either, but you do the marketing research and find out what sells. 56mm sells more than any other high end scope. Since this is XO's first venture they wanted to gather market share with their 1st product. It does have some incredible glass on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now,
    What would you like to know and I'll try to be as specific as I can.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that the reason people still insist on huge objectives, is because they are under the illusion that "The bigger objective my scope has, the earlier and later I can deer hunt."
    Never mind the fact that I always seem to loose my reticle, long before my scope looses a sight picture. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I have preached for a long time that huge objectives are obsolete. The quality of glass and coatings have leveled the playing field. But, lets move on..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Questions pertaining to the scope in question! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

1) Eye relief?
    (Does this scope offer adequate eye relief, even on big recoil rifles?)

2) Adjustments?
    (How would you rate the adjustments on this scope? Accurate?
    Metric or MOA?)

3)How would you rate this scope to say a S&amp;B PMII or US Optics SN-3?

4)Is it more in line with a Nikon Tactical, Super Sniper, IOR, etc.?

14. Mike in Texas

1) Eye relief?
    (Does this scope offer adequate eye relief, even on big recoil rifles?)

One of the rifles used in testing was a TRG-S in 338 Lapua with no brake. I had a very nasty conuscion from this, very nasty. Eye relief is sufficient to keep me from having been cut, or even touched by the scope, from the bench, sling supported prone, or bipod prone.

2) Adjustments?
    How would you rate the adjustments on this scope? Accurate?
    Metric or MOA?

The adjustments are solid 1/4 moa units. I box tested this scope for repeatability for 500 rounds on an accurate 308.
    One of the tests was to shoot a round, move the windage and elevation 40moa and return to zero, then shoot another round. No groups showed any error in return to zero.
    Knobs are made for the gloved hand, adjustments are both audible and tactile. You know when you've adjusted this unit.

How would you rate this scope to say a S&amp;B PMII or US Optics SN-3
    The glass on the XO scope is every bit as clear as the SB.
    I had a Swarovski owner offer me his TDS and cash for the prototype if that is an indication of quality.
    (I don't compare anything to a USO....they could not repair my last scope and it's been 2 years with no replacement.)

Is it more in line with a Nikon Tactical, Super Sniper, IOR, etc.?
    It's in line with the 5 best reputable scopes on the market today. It ( the enginnering unit ) bested some of these top 5 in informal man on the street testing. You know, at 1000 yards, look thru this new scope, then look through your top 5 unit, and tell me which one has better resolution, color clarity, and contrast. We put a few dozen sets of eyes behind this unit. No one said that the XO was inferior to their scope. about 1/3 wanted to buy one that day they looked at it. I could have sold the prototye several times.

I really did abuse the heck out of this unit, and we found a couple things to do better, which were done, and were minor;
    ie; I didn't like the turret markings or the way the turrets were attached. Been changed.

Hope this answers some of your questions satisfactorily.

Mike
    Granbury, Tx