I shot my bear Saturday!

Coyboy

After a long 5 week season I finally got my chance. The bears were not hitting the bait well, because of the bumper crop of acorns this year. I was about ready to call it a season, but decided to give it another try.

I reached my stand about 3:30, belted in and took my usual 1/2 hour nap. At 4:30 I heard somthing comming. Sure enough it was the second bear of the season (first was quite small in week one). I decided it was large enough for my first bear, and took a very long 40 yard shot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The 140gr BT from my 280 took out the near shoulder, ripped the arteries and veins off the top of the heart, and ripped up a good portion of one lung exiting with about a 1" exit channel.
The dressed sow wieght in at 195lbs. and I couldn't be happier.

I learned a ton about bears from this summer and falls baiting and hunting. In 5 years when I can get another tag I'll be starting with a leg up on them.

Sorry I'm picture illiterate with my set-up fellas.

Hey man,

Don't sweat the pix as you painted a good pic yourself. Congratulations your bear is a good ( dead ) bear. Thanks for sharing, also you don't have to have a digital cam to share pix . If you have a scanner / copier you can share regular pix . If you are unsure just email me , Jim

Coyboy

Bet you were sweating out having passed up the little bear.

Congratulations. You worked hard, didn't give up and finally suceeded.

Word of wisdom- Bears are well known to harbor trichinosis (trichina worm) just like pigs. Cook the meat well. Heat will kill it easily

Congrats Coyboy. Good job on the patience and good job on the shot. Having shot my first bear last spring the memory is fresh in my mind and I can appreciate the feelings whacking (I mean harvesting) your first bear brings with it.

What color was it?

bufalobob, Thanks for the tip I didn't know that.

4kedhorn, The bear was all black with a brown muzzel. Our bears here don't often run different color phases like out west. Ocasionally they have a white blaze on the base of there necks.

I look at the 35mm pictures my neighbor took of me and the bear in the field. I have a smile on from ear to ear, it's that feeling nonhunters never know or understand.

congrats on the first bear. They are hard to get here in montana cause can't bait em or run em with dogs so its glass and stalk.
Have you ever eaten bear meat before? you are in for a treat.

Cowboy, Hoping to grill some steaks this week. It'll be the first taste of bear meet for the familly.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.