I shot a bear!!!

[ QUOTE ]
4 scenarios:

a) Your dad's shots are ignored by the bear
b) Terrified, the bear leaves it's hide and exposes itself to you
c) The bear is wounded by your dad with 5" of daylight left
d) Someone becomes the unintended recipient of your dad's fire (as noted above)

If you cannot see and positively ID what you intend to hit...your finger should be nowhere near the trigger. Congratulations on a successful hunt...I hope I'm never in the same woods as you and your father.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the fifth scenario? His dad, being a responsible hunter, knows that you should not shoot anything that can't be positively identified decides to positively identify the base of a tree on the close edge of the area the bear is in and after carefully aiming at it he hits it 3 times. This could also be called shooting into the brush by a kid that is focused on a well placed shot to his bear and didn't ask dad what exactly he was shooting at.

There. Now we have the up views and the down views represented. Lets wait for the hunter (and / or his dad) to settle this all out.

Thanks 4ked ,
you have a way of pointing out what should be obvious ,but often isn';t.I have often hunted where the intended quarry is able to hide from me in the vegetation that is there but it is without a doubt not people cover.After shooting a rock that afforded a good aiming point near the las t location elk have broken cover , crossed the draw and ended up getting shot at half the original distance.
Bottom line is that no one knows if they weren't there, and it would be better to give tyhe benefit of the doubt till closer inspection reveals the details.
That may have been 3 cents worth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif if so I will expect ( and probably get ) my other penney back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Jim

Jimm if I am in error I gladly appologize and congratulate the young man on his bear kill!!!I was taught at a very early age to be careful with guns and never shoot at uncertain targets! If someone tells me he had a good brush shot I distance myself from him.

Sniper2,
You are not in error and I don't think you owe anyone an apology.
I guess what I'm getting at here is that what you were taught at an early age should be passed on to others ,but that it is easy to have " prior contempt without investigation", and I am the worst to jump at such conclusions.
I read somewhre here today from aa poster ( I'm sorry I can't remember ) who said " I don't like my posts when I read them the next day". Man ! what an understatement, for me too!
I reckon its not about being right so much as it is about all coming to the same understanding of what works and what dont. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Jim B.

And I would like to add that I am opposed to shooting into the collective greenery without knowing what is in there. I also have hunted on the same piece of private property where a hunter aimed at an elk and missed only to hit his own buddy wearing cammo/orange on the other side of the field. Knowing your target and what is beyond it IS very important.

I anticipate the response from the young bear hunter or his dad. After all, it was the dad that fired the shots. How many of us as young men would have said "Dad, what in the heck were you doing. You didn't know who was in there." as he was skinning your bear.

Anyone?

Hello everyone. Sorry took me a little longer to reply than I would have liked. I did not mean to cause a stir with my story. I did not go into full detail about the brush shooting, but I will now. The brush was a group of pine trees of about 10, surrounded by scrub brush thats knee to waist high. If there was a person hiding in there with that bear I'm sure either of them would have been running out far before the first shot of which my dad fired into the edge of the brush on the trail where the bear was last seen. The piece I am hunting is private property, there is not a lot of people wondering around in there. The people that own it themselves do not even hunt. What I meant by saying I should have shot into the brush was meaning I shoulda been the one shooting because I have shot the last 3 bears and he has missed or they have gotten away. I guess you needed to be there to see it. My dad was using the same aiming point I'm sure. Hes not just spraying bullets across the mountain side. He always picks spots on trails to shoot so he shot at the edge of the trees, which was still on the trail, in full view, nothing was in the way. After 3 shots and 5 minutes the bear was walking very fast uphill coming out of the top of the brush. There is the full explanation of it. I hope everything is better and hope people dont think were just shooting into every brushy hillside we encounter.

[ QUOTE ]
If you keep it up, we'll be reading about you in the papers "Hunter shoots other hunter/camper/kids playing in the woods/family member while shooting at unseen bear in the brush".

If I read this wrong, sorry about the outburst. Hunter safety is a big issue with me. I was shot in the leg by a hunter doing exactly what you describe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hunter Safety is my Top Priority when afield but, If you believe that shots in the field at known Backstops are any different than shots at game, you shouldn't be shooting in the first place. Shots into a known visably safe back ground are far more safe than shots through game animals due primarily to the fact that game animals are slightly elevated and bullets can have dramatic deflections while penetrating an animal and end up in very unexpected places. Although I personally would not have fired "spooking" shots, I have no problem w/ a man doing so if he's doing it safely and he's not bothering other hunters by spooking their game as well.

If a man knows his Backstop, it's no different than shooting at your local range. Actually it's probably a good bit safer statistically.

Sounds like he was on private property w/ a known backstop so, safety was taken into consideration. No problems here.

Congrats on your Bear!

Reloader

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.