I got my deer!!!!!

Nice! What a way to cap off your season! I've got some 92 grain HH's I've been waiting to try in my 257 Bee just haven't got a round to it. I hunted 9 days of our deer season and never saw a single animal.
It's like that up here. I've hardly seen any deer at all this year. Even when it has given a dusting of new snow, five different places I walked in and saw next to no fresh deer tracks. Very unusual for this place this time of year.

But we had two brutally cold and LONG winters, again even for us, with deep snow (not that deep in the south of the province but that's typical) - the reports are coming in from alll over from within a 150 mile radius of where I live that guys just aren't seeing them - though in typical fashion my sister hit one with her car at night at highway speed a couple weeks ago, suffering pretty bad whiplash -
But we think those two severe winters took their toll. Good news is, no matter how cold it gets here now, they're already off to a better start. They've had it easy so far, AND….this buck will have almost certainly impregnated any does that he was going to be able to already, so my "extraction" of him at this point from the environment shouldn't really affect the local whitetail population at all. 😁

It's like that up here. I've hardly seen any deer at all this year. Even when it has given a dusting of new snow, five different places I walked in and saw next to no fresh deer tracks. Very unusual for this place this time of year.

But we had two brutally cold and LONG winters, again even for us, with deep snow (not that deep in the south of the province but that's typical) - the reports are coming in from alll over from within a 150 mile radius of where I live that guys just aren't seeing them - though in typical fashion my sister hit one with her car at night at highway speed a couple weeks ago, suffering pretty bad whiplash -
But we think those two severe winters took their toll. Good news is, no matter how cold it gets here now, they're already off to a better start. They've had it easy so far, AND….this buck will have almost certainly impregnated any does that he was going to be able to already, so my "extraction" of him at this point from the environment shouldn't really affect the local whitetail population at all. 😁
Hope your sister heals up. Those deer are terrible on the road. We had a bad winter last year and broke snowfall records. Most reports I've heard from Northern MN are the same. Our wolf population is out of hand as well. No shortage on those.
IMG_7297.jpeg

Hope your sister heals up. Those deer are terrible on the road. We had a bad winter last year and broke snowfall records. Most reports I've heard from Northern MN are the same. Our wolf population is out of hand as well. No shortage on those.
View attachment 516680
Mmmmmhmmmmm. Northern Montana isn't far from my neck of the woods at all…heck I've been there! 🤣. Just a ways to the southwest.

Don't have too many wolves here, further north there's lots BUT..,the coyote population is frankly out of control right now (maybe the liberals will suggest moving more wolves in to keep the coyotes in check 🥴). That's hard on the deer too, when the snow is up to their bellies and their feet just sink right to the bottom while those dang prairie jackals (a new term I just coined 🤣) just walk on top of the ice crust…fawns don't stand a chance under those circumstances.

Mmmmmhmmmmm. Northern Montana isn't far from my neck of the woods at all…heck I've been there! 🤣. Just a ways to the southwest.

Don't have too many wolves here, further north there's lots BUT..,the coyote population is frankly out of control right now (maybe the liberals will suggest moving more wolves in to keep the coyotes in check 🥴). That's hard on the deer too, when the snow is up to their bellies and their feet just sink right to the bottom while those dang prairie jackals (a new term I just coined 🤣) just walk on top of the ice crust…fawns don't stand a chance under those circumstances.
In in Minnesota. Land of 10,000 wolves 🤣

some more random pictures. There's the single copper fragment I found under the skin on the offside beside a casing for scale.

ALSO: this fuzzy little buffoon (third picture, in the tree) just about blew my cover! I had been hiding in a tree line dividing two fields, just set a blanket on the ground, sat down and got comfortable, and didn't move for a little over an hour before mr buck showed up. BUT….as soon as I sat down in the bush I heard all kinds of commotion right beside me…it was a SQUIRREL!!! And he was VERY concerned about my presence there, climbed up into this tree and just chirped his little head off at me for 5 minutes under I whispered "come on man, get out of here already, im not after you". And then he actually shut up!!!!! 🤣

Some views of the fields.

Attachments

• IMG_7079.jpeg
    IMG_7079.jpeg
    412.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7095.jpeg
    IMG_7095.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7080.jpeg
    IMG_7080.jpeg
    429.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7078.jpeg
    IMG_7078.jpeg
    674.4 KB · Views: 62
In in Minnesota. Land of 10,000 wolves 🤣
Oh for crying out loud, montana is MT, not MN! 🤣

Speaking of MT… @RockyMtnMT i think I had said I'd let ya know what I thought of the bullets after giving them a shot (see what I did there ?🥴). I'm officially a believer. Good stuff.

@Muddyboots i haven't seen you in here yet either, I figured you'd find this interesting

That pic of the head on the tire.....you sure you shot that Deer....looks from the round depression...like you hit it between the lookers with a sledge hammer!! Ooooooo...maybe that's what you meant....you did say you got it with a Hammer!
Well done
Hahahaha I totally see it now! In fact, there is no depression, it's just a trick of the lighting in my uncle's dimly lit shop.

Got this one at 3:50 p.m. last day here too! Normally I drive 7 hours North West to a 1/4 section I own ..this one...in my backyard...round trip...17 minutes! Rut here started 3 weeks later than usual. Been a strange season!View attachment 516765
Nice! That's gonna be a decent haul of
Venison. Everyone obsesses over antlers but the first thing I look at is the neck and nose. If they have a full breadth nose (not a skinny pointy nose) and a real beefy looking neck like that you know they're physically at their peak size and packing some serious muscle on their bones! Happy eating!