I got my deer!!!!!

257 wby. All time favorite whitetail cartridge. Might have to give some hammers a try in mine. I normally shoot 110 Bibbs in mine. But have piled up the meat over the yrs with various 100 gr @ 3600 fps. I've killed deer with 243 to 300 rum and most in between and nothing drops them drt like a 257wby. Those northern lights are beautiful. Im going to iceland next fall for a week to see them for myself. Hope they show.
Shep

Tomorrow is the last day of deer season here. After an abysmal season of seeing next to nothing I was desperate to get something, ANYTHING. anyway….I'm very happy with my deer here, it's no Boone and crocket but for a meat hunter like me it's a darn nice buck. The hammer hunter 75 grain out of the 257 Weatherby at 4150 fps performed amazingly. I had my nervousness about such a light bullet going so fast, I like exit wounds…and I got that! Broke a rib going in, broke two ribs exiting, hit farther up and back than I meant to and the beast still piled up in less than 20 yards from where it was shot. Shot was probably somewhere between 250 and 300 yard, didn't measure, just eyeballing it that seems right. Some pics of the deer in the field where it lay and then of the head on a tractor tire haha…
Congrats and I told you so😉

Very nice Calvin!

What do you reckon that deer weighed on the hoof?
Not a clue haha. It's not the biggest bodied one I've ever taken….i don't think….of course, we've had a freakishly warm and relatively snowless November and December, and that meant I could just drive right into the field right up to the deer after I gutted it, just had to lift it into the truck box. Somehow they feel MUCH lighter when you don't have to drag them a quarter of a mile through thigh-deep snow by yourself. 🤣

I've been consistently going to gym for about half a year now strength training, and can actually tell a big difference when it came to lift the thing into the truck, again working solo. Deadlifting = deer lifting! 🤣

Recent Posts