Huskamaw to fancy for my rifle?

+1 To everything that has been said already. I don't believe you will have a scope that it "too good for the rifle." In my experience, I would rather save some money on the rifle and make sure I put a quality scope on it.

I will say that for a standard rifle which wont have a cheekpiece or stock pack on it for weight savings purposes, I prefer the 40-44mm objectives. They allow a slightly lower ring which helps keep your head down on the rifle.

I have a Vortex 4-16x44 HST on a Tikka T3 as a lightweight pack rifle and I have never found myself wanting for a 50mm. I have 50mm scopes on some other heavier rifles, but I also have stock packs/cheekpieces on them.

Overall, it sounds like an awesome setup and I recommend getting the absolute best scope you can.

You don't want the scope to be the limiting factor. One can always customize a gun. Can't really change the scope (other than buying a different one).

You don't want the scope to be the limiting factor. One can always customize a gun. Can't really change the scope (other than buying a different one).

Plus... If you go with decent picatinny rails on your rifles, then you only really ever need a couple of good scopes that you can then move from rifle to rifle. Why buy five or more $1000+ scopes (one for each rifle) when you can get a really good one and move it around. I can only shoot one gun at a time anyways, but sometimes I let my brother use a gun when he hunts with me, so I have a 6-24x50 and a 3.5-21x50. 2 scopes cover all my hunting needs and I can let my brother hunt with me when he wants to.

I have over a dozen rifles, excluding shotguns and other rifles that I wouldn't use a scope on... But 2 good scopes is perfect for my situation. I can't afford good glass separately for all my rifles... And I'd rather have 2 good scopes than 14 mediocre scopes.

Plus... If you go with decent picatinny rails on your rifles, then you only really ever need a couple of good scopes that you can then move from rifle to rifle. Why buy five or more $1000+ scopes (one for each rifle) when you can get a really good one and move it around. I can only shoot one gun at a time anyways, but sometimes I let my brother use a gun when he hunts with me, so I have a 6-24x50 and a 3.5-21x50. 2 scopes cover all my hunting needs and I can let my brother hunt with me when he wants to.

I have over a dozen rifles, excluding shotguns and other rifles that I wouldn't use a scope on... But 2 good scopes is perfect for my situation. I can't afford good glass separately for all my rifles... And I'd rather have 2 good scopes than 14 mediocre scopes.

I might think about letting a couple of rifles share a scope, but I don't want to grab a rifle that isn't sighted in and go hunting with it.... I have all my rifles scoped and ready to go that need scopes...

Update:
My gun shop notified me that they cannot get a Model 70 ss in 300wsm until the end of January. So I forked out an extra $400 dollars and got a Sako 85 Finnlight in 300 wsm. And now I can't make up my mind on wether to go withe the Huskamaw 50mm or the the VX-6 Leupold 50mm. Thoughts?

Either one should work, but I think the Huskemaw will have better adjustment. I have the VX6 2-12, and while not unusable could be better.

I have always liked Leupold there are times when I wished had a BDC dial. I have a couple of MK4 that are mil/mil and they are great but you never know the BDC could be better/quciker

I agree that both are usable but having used both, the Huskemaw has better optical quality and superb turret adjustment, very rugged, and a and nicely weighted and featured reticle

I just ordered a Model 70 Extreme Weather 300wsm. I've been considering the Huskamaw 4x16x42 Blue Diamond. But I'm not sure if this brand is intended for custom Long range rifles? Am I getting to fancy of optics for a blue collar rifle? My goal is to become a confident shooter from 500 to 700 yards. Feed back please:)

If your platform were a smaller caliber, I would say the 4x16x42 would fit your bill. Why not step up to the 5x20x50 Huskemaws Blue Diamond? Your .300wsm has the power and range, so it would make sense to compliment it with a 20x.

I currently have two 5x20x50 Huskemaws, and despite what you read, I absolutely love them. As an owner of Lieca, Zeiss and Leupold glass, I'm satisfied with the Huskemaws in every aspect and on every level. With my load, I shoot consistent groups at 1000 yards. Glass is certainly clear enough to see my 15"x15" steel targets at that range, so Deer and Elk sized targets are not an issue.

This past deer season, my brother took his Mule Deer using his Huskemaw at 620 yards. Before having Huskemaws, we would have never had he confidence to shoot that far with our Leupold VX3 4.5x14x42's. Not saying they are not capable, but even with custom turrets on the VX3's, they cannot compare to the turrets that comes with the Huskemaws.

I have a scope for each of my scoped rifles. If I want to grab one and go hunting I don't want to have to stop first and sight it in again.

You can save a lot of money by swapping scopes around but it isn't something I want to do because when I go hunting that's all I want to have to worry about.

Most of my hunting though is done on a whim here in my home county so I'm in a very different set of circumstances than someone who has to plan hunts well in advance and travel to a hunting destination.

Right now I'm carrying three rifles in one truck and three in another and depending on the circumstances I may grab one or more of them when I get out to hunt.

If I'm shooting from the truck (perfectly legal here if you are disabled) then I grab whichever one I want or think is best for the circumstances at hand.

I have a scope for each of my scoped rifles. If I want to grab one and go hunting I don't want to have to stop first and sight it in again.

You can save a lot of money by swapping scopes around but it isn't something I want to do because when I go hunting that's all I want to have to worry about.

Most of my hunting though is done on a whim here in my home county so I'm in a very different set of circumstances than someone who has to plan hunts well in advance and travel to a hunting destination.

Right now I'm carrying three rifles in one truck and three in another and depending on the circumstances I may grab one or more of them when I get out to hunt.

If I'm shooting from the truck (perfectly legal here if you are disabled) then I grab whichever one I want or think is best for the circumstances at hand.

Makes sense! I feel the same way to a certain extent, so I leave the scopes on the two rifles I use the most, however, when I want to change them out on another rifle, I send 2-3 bullets down range, and then adjust and go, or I do it the evening before!

If I didn't have a range close by... This probably wouldn't work.

It's done. Ordered the VX6 3x18x50 CDS side focus and illuminated. I really wanted to see a Huskamaw in person and nobody within a hundred miles sells them. What do you do?
That's a great scope. I have the VX-3L 3-18x56 and I'm sure you'll be very happy.

I also have the VX-6 4-24x50 on another rifle and it's great as well.

Just remember in low light conditions, fog, or haze back off on the power and you'll add another five minutes or so to your useable shooting time.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts