270 WSM W/huskamaw

You really have to step up and hand load to get the 270 WSM to shine. I shoot the 140 Accubonds at 3341 fps and it puts the stomp on everything I've put it on, I'm 1830fps at a 1000yrds and 1040 ft lbs of energy and it get's there flat and fast.
Down side is barrel life is like 1200 rounds ish, mine is fried but still very accurate with the Accubond but the velocity is way down now.

I'm re-barreling it this winter to a faster twist to shoot the 169.5gr Wildcats, it will put my 270 WSM in an other league, if I can run them in the 3000 fps range it will put me into the 1400yrd range for elk and deer if the accuracy is there I'll go farther, it will stay sonic till 2100yrds which is the same distance a 300gr Berger goes sub sonic out of a 338 Norma Mag.

You are only as good as what you can prove an replicate on paper right! So I would want the most punch I could possibly get from this dark horse too! Everyone says there no options with the 270 WSM. But just cause you have options with say 7MM, you dont even look at 3/4 of the bunch.
If I say 6.5 x284 at elk at 1000 and I hear " oh ya no problem!", "Amazing caliber" What!! The 270 WSM numbers dont lie, it's Capable and no one wants to admit it. 140, 150, and 169.5...Might only be 3, but an impressive 3. Honestly shot placement how much kenetic r u going to need, if a 6.5x284 can knock em dead...

Trying the 150 berger and 140 Accubond, load development in progress. It's all good!

Remember, when you looking at bullets and trying to punch and elk at long range energy isn't the critical factor it's impact velocity and momentum! You have to have that bullet open and thrash both lungs and get to the other side of the rib cage. I all ways forget but the Nosler 150gr Ballistic tip may be and excellent candidate, may even be better in the 800-1000yrd range than the Accubond because it will be less resistant to opening.
Remember your on the raged edge with this till we have some 160+ gr options which are in the works but slow to come to market. With what we have now I would say to 800yrd is very do able but that last 200yrds to a 1000 changes a lot of things!!
Also read a bunch of royinidaho, he also loves 270 stuff, well he kinda likes it all but he has good stuff on the 270 cals. Fun reading as well!!

The Results are in. They did it! We were able to play with seating depths with the 150 gr. Berger to fit into the Tikka Magazine and obtain 3/4" grouping @ 3200 fps. Now we shoot and build Huskemaw Turret.

Paitience paid off and there is now info to the questions I had that wasn't common knowledge before and the path has been paved. It can be done...

The Results are in. They did it! We were able to play with seating depths with the 150 gr. Berger to fit into the Tikka Magazine and obtain 3/4" grouping @ 3200 fps. Now we shoot and build Huskemaw Turret.

Paitience paid off and there is now info to the questions I had that wasn't common knowledge before and the path has been paved. It can be done...

Excellent! How about some more details :D If you haven't caught it Matrix Ballistics out of Canada are making some .277 bullets in the 165 and 175 gr weights that are getting some play now and they are sounding good!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.