270 WSM

I have clear up through 190 grain .277 bullets. using a 29 inch barrel. The my twist is kinda max at the 175's. don't tell me about .284 having the BC edge. I shot competitively with a 7STW.

G1 .bc ~ 636 on a 165 .277. To compare that sectional density to a 7mm, you can shoot a 180 ELDm with a g1 bc of ~ .780. Not very close AT ALL

That might be some of the most BS I've heard in a long time. Run the mass produced 27s and the mass produced 28s. It's no contest. The 28s have more high BC offering than the 26 cal too. I am here to tell you that In similar cases the 284 wins in every measurable category. 27 vs 28 nosler. 270 wsm vs 7wsm. 280 vs 270. The 27s lose in terminal and external ballistics. I love my 27s for hunting. But the twist rate is the down fall of the diameter and there's zero reason to handicap your self when both the 6.5s and 7s are better at LR.
Me personally I'd run 140 grainers out of my 257 wby if someone made a bullet that weight and a twist rate to stabilize it. To each they're own I guess.

The Ram my friend used my rifle to kill it at 704 yards, 270 wsm with 165 matrix 3000fps
The buck I used the same rifle and bullets shot that at 30yards, and the elk I killed the bull at 420yards same rifle but different bullets 126 hammer hunters ar 3450fps. All one shot kills all went less then 20yards
I'm pretty much settled on a 270wsm. I could care less about the coefficients if I have a 130-140 grain bullet that can shoot great at 5-600 yards I'd use that regardless of bc. I'd also leave my 7mags and 280ai at home just because I don't care much for that diameter bullet. I've shot elk with 280ai 300wm and 338 edge, I'd choose the 300 and 338 over the superior bc of the .284.

I build a good number of 270 WSM's, it's really one of my favorite hunting rounds since I bought my first one, I run two different reamers both throated for 165 Matrix and 170 EOL, one tight neck one .004 clearance on Norma brass. It's the right capacity to run a good weight hunting bullet with acceptable recoil. It's really fun to run a 110 TTSX in the 3500+ fps range for coyotes and antelope with very low recoil. It's a very versatile general hunting round!!

I'm going to build a 270 Sherman MAX next, looks like the capacity is right with the WSM but then I get the ADG brass, should be perfection!!

Last edited:
It's really fun to run a 110 TTSX in the 3500+ fps range for coyotes and antelope with very low recoil.

I have a Tikka T3X in 270 WSM that I got for my 9 year old daughter to use. It's braked and she's shooting low recoil handloads of the 110gr TTSX. She's yet to go hunting with it, but with the brake, there's almost no recoil with this load.

First of all, the 270 WSM is a fantastic cartridge; unless you are hunting polar bear. Are you hunting polar bear? If not the 270 WSM will handle it. I'll tell ya why I like it. I started with 39-06 when I was 14. Killed lots of deer and coyotes with it. But when I got my 270 WSM I found it could do most of what the 30-06 can do with a bit more velocity and a lighter bullet. And with the new bullets we have now, that is even more true today. I would say 270 WSM rifles are better now than when they were first introduced due to the better bullets. I tried the 7 WSM, the 300 Win Mag and they deliver if you really want to punish yourself to get a critter dead. But dead is dead isn't it? Why suffer almost as much as the critter you are hammering? No need. Kudos to the guys who can shoot accurately with the Super-big magnums. But consider there may be an easier, more shooter friendly way to do it. Here's where guys who hate the 6.5 Creedmoor may tell you it can't kill anything and that 270 bullets are just too small. But a lot of dead critters beg to differ. Does the 300 UltraMag have more power? Sure it does. But it kicks the stuffing out of anyone in a rifle the same weight as a 270 WSM.
Lgg6QiLh.jpg

Works for little critters too because it is nimble.
6xBl3gBl.jpg

Now if you really want a 1,000 yard polar bear rifle, you want something bigger, heavier and a tripod. But if ya want a rifle that can do most everything else you want a 270 WSM. Any critter within 500 yards of mine is one shot stone cold graveyard dead. But if that's not your cup of tea, I would suggest leaving behind all the smaller weaker suggestions and just so go 338 Lapua Ackley Improved. But bring something motorized to carry it.

I have a Tikka T3X in 270 WSM that I got for my 9 year old daughter to use. It's braked and she's shooting low recoil handloads of the 110gr TTSX. She's yet to go hunting with it, but with the brake, there's almost no recoil with this load.

What brake are you running on the WSM in order to take it down for her?

What brake are you running on the WSM in order to take it down for her?

I do not know. It is a side discharge brake that came on the rifle. I purchased it from SiddTheKidd here on the forum. I went back and looked at the original ad and there wasn't a model or brand listed for the break.

I'll try and post a picture later this evening.

Also, bigngreen, I saw that you posted on that ad and suggested the exact combination I loaded for my daughter. I had forgotten about that.

G1 .bc ~ 636 on a 165 .277. To compare that sectional density to a 7mm, you can shoot a 180 ELDm with a g1 bc of ~ .780. Not very close AT ALL

You are not comparing like products. I have actually shot big game with match bullets in the past with poor results. Zero expansion and the search was on with less than a dime sized exit hole

Win. M70 factory 1:10 barrel, 140gn Accubond, RL 22 @ 3240 fps. I picked it up in 2004 and it has been my go to set up for deer and smaller game. Here are just a couple of critters it put down. Pronghorn at 418 yrds, mule deer at 60 yrds. I love the cartridge and load. Bullet has preformed flawlessly. However I just inherited a Kimber Hunter in 280ai I am working up a load for and am looking forward to giving it a try.

Attachments

• 20150928_094744.jpg
    20150928_094744.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 133
  • 2015-11-15 12.58.37.jpg
    2015-11-15 12.58.37.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 134
Tikka T3 Lite in 270 WSM. Shoots slightly under 1/2 moa without much testing. Very little recoil. Plenty accurate. Easy to carry. Love it!

I love my 270 wsm. Built around the 165 matrix for LR work and I load up the 126 hammers around 3459-3500fps for close shots ... i'm really interested to see someone do the 270 Sherman max. And what kinda number it Produces

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.