270 WSM

Is there an extensive thread on reloading the 270 WSM? I purchased a set of Redding competition dies on another forum, looking to get started reloading for the new rifle, it shoots the Federal Fusion 150gr like the attached picture. I would like to shoot the heaviest bullet possible and then have a Model 7 built in 270 WSM with the data gleaned from reloading.
Most 270 WSMs are 1-10 twist so the 150s is the heaviest bullet you can run realistically. I would not attempt to build a 270 WSM for heavies on a Model 7. They are simply too short for good performance. You need at least 3.00 to run the heavies with a 1/8 twist and I use a action with a 3.125 box to run the Berger 170s at 3.120 which puts the boattail at the neck shoulder juncture. Getting 3050 fps with H1000.

don't tell me about .284 having the BC edge. I shot competitively with a 7STW.

That might be some of the most BS I've heard in a long time. Run the mass produced 27s and the mass produced 28s. It's no contest. The 28s have more high BC offering than the 26 cal too. I am here to tell you that In similar cases the 284 wins in every measurable category. 27 vs 28 nosler. 270 wsm vs 7wsm. 280 vs 270. The 27s lose in terminal and external ballistics. I love my 27s for hunting. But the twist rate is the down fall of the diameter and there's zero reason to handicap your self when both the 6.5s and 7s are better at LR.

The whole idea of the perfect bullet having the highest BC is more what I was getting at. I have seen the BC numbers on every cal for many years and it doesn't give them the winning edge! Any caliber on paper having the highest BC doesn't make them an instant winner. It appears to me that the competitive winners has more to do with case design. big shoulder angles and long throats. I also think that as bullet weight goes up so do barrel harmonics and barrel whip.

7mm Ballistic Performance
There are several heavy, high-BC match bullets offered in 7mm including the 175gr SMK, 180gr JLK and Berger VLDs. Berger claims a 0.684 BC for its 180gr VLD bullet. There are no bullets of a smaller caliber that have higher BCs than these 7mm bullets. The following table shows the ballistic advantages of 7mm cartridges.

If You really want high BC get into really big 30 a 338 cal

1588622005729.png

Bet this beats 270 WSM as well and has a pretty high BC. But you may need to man up for the recoil.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts