Looking for my first rifle.

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by lucky_lefty, Jul 13, 2009.

1. lucky_lefty

lucky_lefty Member

I have a shotgun, AR and a few pistols, Now I would like to get a bolt action rifle. My intentions are to shoot out to and past 1000 yards, I was thinking of a 308, or a 300 win mag. My spending limit is no more than 1k for the rifle and I will buy the optics later on. I like the remington 700 series but I heard that there is better out there. I know nothing about bolt action rifles and I was actually looking at the 700 sps because of the longer barrel. Am I thinking right or should I look elsewhere.

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

IMO there is no better Choice for a first bolt action rifle that a Rem700 Sendero. It has a HS stock, fluted 26" barrel it comes in many diffrent chamberings that will get you to 1000yds and them some.

Do you want to hunt with it?

3. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

get a sendero

4. 3fingervic

3fingervic Well-Known Member

Are you left handed? Do you want a left handed gun? If not go for the Sendero. If you do may I suggest a Savage 10 FLCP-K in .308 for about $750. I just had one made by Savages custom shop (lefty) in .300 which was $950ish. You could also go to buds gun shop and get a left handed Rem. 700 sps in .300wm for $510 and put a real nice aftermarket barrel on it for $400. Putting you at a little over $900.

5. woolecox

woolecox Well-Known Member

+1 to the Sendero and also the Savage 12 Series. Usually very good out of the box and easy to accurize. You might also consider the new Winchester M70 Super Grade if they every become available to the public. If you are serious about shooting out to 1000 yards, I would go with the 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM at least. Check out the links:

Remington Model 700™ Sendero® SF II Specifications

Model 70 Super Grade, Bolt Action Deer Elk Big Game Rifle, Winchester Repeating Arms Product

Savage Arms Model 12 Varminter Low Profile

6. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

My vote will always go to the savage. Own 2 of them and not looking back. My next build when it comes around will be based off of the Savage Target action.

Tank

7. 3fingervic

3fingervic Well-Known Member

I agree. For the money they are hard to beat. They are really a system with a lot of possibilities.

8. awesfall

awesfall Member

Savage model 12 can not beat it. just bought it love it shoot 1/2 moa at 150 out of the box I would suggest the 300 wsm it is a great rifle with better powder burn....

9. purpledragon

purpledragon Well-Known Member

Spend the little extra over your 1k budget and get the Sendero .I bought one in 7mm STW when remington first offered it,and not a moment goes buy that I regret the choice.