Gun decision for my sons first rifle

Gooseblitz

Hey guys I am looking at a rifle for my 10 year old.
I have been back and forth. Trying to avoid too much heart burn for the Mrs.
Looking at a Weatherby Vanguard in .243 $420 or Remintgon 798 in 30-06 $449 . I prefer the the .243 but I have been wanting to get a Z98 Mauser action. Trying to keep under $450.

I like Ruger Hawkeye Carbine but none in my price range. I also like Tikka and Browning X-Bolt by nothing easy enough on the wallet.

What do you guys think?

243win are great for kids. I used one until I moved up to a 25-06. I took a few muleys, a couple Coues and a cow elk with mine. When he's too big for a 243 you'll have a great varmint or truck gun. You can cut the factory stock down and buy a factory take off down the road for next to nothing. I would prefer a 700sps on sale over a m788. All the big boxes have em on sale around this time of year in youth models, and SPS, usually.

I have several Model 700....I was interested in the 798 not the 788. Although I have always been intrigued with the 788.
I would not mind finding a used A-bolt either.

Hey guys I am looking at a rifle for my 10 year old.
I have been back and forth. Trying to avoid too much heart burn for the Mrs.
Looking at a Weatherby Vanguard in .243 $420 or Remintgon 798 in 30-06 $449 . I prefer the the .243 but I have been wanting to get a Z98 Mauser action. Trying to keep under $450.

I like Ruger Hawkeye Carbine but none in my price range. I also like Tikka and Browning X-Bolt by nothing easy enough on the wallet.

What do you guys think?
The .260 Rem would be a better choice than either. The recoil of the 06 will be more than most 10yo's can handle comfortably unless it's set up just right.

Ballistically the .260 is superior to both with better BC's and energy than the .243 and much flatter shooting than the 06 with half the recoil. I'd look at a .308win for him before even considering the 06.

Spend some time shopping the classifieds and gun broker.

With your budget I'd look at the Savages and Remingtons.

I grew up with Winchesters, Weatherbys, Sakos... anything except Savage and Remington.

Since I started customizing and building my own rifles, I've joined the Rem 700 crowd.

Rem and Savage are platforms that you can easily build on due to the plethora of aftermarket parts.

In any case, remind the wife of the high $$$ refrigerator she made you buy since it was going to have to last for many years.

If you buy a decent rifle, your son will cherrish it for a lifetime.

My son will inhereit a bunch of Winchesters someday that I got from my father and him from his.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.