How to cut copper fouling???

I've never understood how a flexible bronze brush that is softer than steel and the bullets is going to ruin the bore. I guess that button they pulled down the bore to make riflings just ruined the barrel.
I do not remember his screen name here; perhaps others will chime in, but If you have a question about the video, he will happily answer it.

ADDED:

I just remembered - @orkan

It sucks getting old - CRS. 😇

Last edited:
I'd seen that video up before and hadn't watched it, cause I thought , Ah b's....another knuckle head CM lover on u tube spouting crud. Well, I watched it yesterday. What I got out of it was, the title is facetious and sarcastic, and from what I saw, the way he did it, I was right, that a bronze brush won't harm a barrel. Certainly not if used properly. I mean, that dude ( who is not a keyboard warrior ) had that brush SMOKING!
Not to say the bore did not increase in diameter; that would take some tooling I don't have to check. But then, I would not use the same methodology, either! Very entertaining video! Death to plastic brushes!!!

I'm not exactly sure, but I shot 5 minimum charge weight sighting in bullets, and 10 round ladder test. I did the standard barrel break in cleanings. Shoot-clean for first 5 shots then clean after 3 shots until ladder finished. The ladder showed relatively tight shot placement. I went back with 5 sets of 3 shot charges to check for a powder charge. I noticed that my groups were very erratic (i know that some will/should be…). I cleaned the rifle when I got home in my usual manner per Bore Tech's recommendations. I bought a bore scope because I wasn't sure what was going on, and I found this. Bore Tech Eliminator has always done great for me or I thought so at least, so I went back and scoped 4 other rifles of mine to verify my cleaning skills and found little copper fouling in them. Long story short, 30 shots with 8 cleanings focused on first 15 shots and 1 cleaning after 30 shots total. Btw, Bore Tech copper cleaner was absolutely useless against this copper. Eliminator cut more than the copper cleaner, but the best results of the three were the Montana X-Treme copper killer.
Then stay with the Montana cleaner and phosphorous bronze brushes. You might also lap with JB products just to attempt a quicker break-in.
Where premium aftermarket barrels are honed for size after gun drill and ream, yours probably had minimal honing if any. That is going to leave reamer feed marks (think internal threads on a nut) you're going to have to smooth out by shooting and cleaning until the barrel complies with your wishes.
Secondly, copper likes copper, meaning you're going to deposit a lot of jacket copper over bore copper deposits. It just gets worse without stripping it bare with your cleaning. You can see the flaky copper on your lands that are co-deposits, layer on layer in my opinion.
You might contact Begara to see if this is a warranty item. Give them a round count, cleaning count, etc. It's not a normal thing to have copper build this much. I've never seen it on factory or higher end barrels.

Then stay with the Montana cleaner and phosphorous bronze brushes. You might also lap with JB products just to attempt a quicker break-in.
Where premium aftermarket barrels are honed for size after gun drill and ream, yours probably had minimal honing if any. That is going to leave reamer feed marks (think internal threads on a nut) you're going to have to smooth out by shooting and cleaning until the barrel complies with your wishes.
Secondly, copper likes copper, meaning you're going to deposit a lot of jacket copper over bore copper deposits. It just gets worse without stripping it bare with your cleaning. You can see the flaky copper on your lands that are co-deposits, layer on layer in my opinion.
You might contact Begara to see if this is a warranty item. Give them a round count, cleaning count, etc. It's not a normal thing to have copper build this much. I've never seen it on factory or higher end barrels.
Everyone has been pretty shocked to see this much copper in the barrel, too. A buddy of mine agreed that this barrel must have missed its lapping session or cut with a dull system. I may try to reach out to Bergara and just see what they say. The sad part is that once I got the barrel as clean as I could, the rifle is shooting 1/2 MOA at 660 yards (the longest range that I can shoot), so the rifle is a shooter except when it hits its "excessive" level of copper fouling…

The only way to help prevent copper and lead fouling is to polish the bore. No matter what cleaning method or chemicals that you use, if the bore condition is addressed, you are spinning the wheels and get the same conditions after a few shots.

I recommend the polishes (aka abrasives) by NECO. The tolerances of their abrasives is much better than any others.

I use the abrasives for both fire lapping and lapping.

The only way to help prevent copper and lead fouling is to polish the bore. No matter what cleaning method or chemicals that you use, if the bore condition is addressed, you are spinning the wheels and get the same conditions after a few shots.

I recommend the polishes (aka abrasives) by NECO. The tolerances of their abrasives is much better than any others.

I use the abrasives for both fire lapping
Interesting product outside of Tubbs bullets.

I had a Savage 308 with a fat barrel that shot quite well but I'd shoot 20 rounds and mine copper out of the barrel all week. My Hawkeye confirmed that the barrel was as rough as a corncob. Tubbs system improved it but there really was no help for that barrel. Sold the rifle and a 223 I'd bought about the same time that had similar problems.

Haven't had a Savage rifle since.

What fouling?? Roughest barrel I have ever had! Lapped it, next step is Tubbs FF.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_0288.jpeg
    IMG_0288.jpeg
    23.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0287.jpeg
    IMG_0287.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 39
Colloidal graphite like lok-ease,moly coat and the tungsten stuff.... will reduce fouling... like others have said FINE lapping compound.....
Although.. in a hunting rifle.. if its good a few shots..leave it and clean it after season...

Colloidal graphite like lok-ease,moly coat and the tungsten stuff.... will reduce fouling... like others have said FINE lapping compound.....
Although.. in a hunting rifle.. if its good a few shots..leave it and clean it after season...
Yepper...I've tried both since the day we first heard of them and despite all the screaming and yelling we endured I've never stopped using either on every bullet I use...I DANZAC everything that goes down all my barrels and will never stopped using it..

most can not afford to re-barrel a rifle. Learning how to deal with the copper fouling is their only option, they can learn a lot from this thread. Their first line of defense is the purchase of a teslong bore scope.
True that.... And if you have a smart phone this is the way to go and they're pretty darn cheap from Amazon.
Amazon product ASIN B07TTQF24F