How to cut copper fouling???

The only way to fix the real problem is to rebarrel the rifle. Been there done that.

While this idea is tempting, consider the cost:
1. New match barrel $440
2. Gunsmith fees to thread, chamber, etc $400
3. Shipping the rifle $100 each way

Total average cost $1,040

You can choose a nice carbon bbl for an additional $400 and thread the muzzle for a brake, add another $100 to that.

Replacement barrels are not inexpensive. I'd try the Tubbs idea first.

I've never paid more than $150 for a gunsmith to rebarrel. If bedding is required that's another $125-$150. I also usually deliver the rifle to them directly so it's only gas for two round trips.

Barrel cost to me is usually around $400-$450 if bought by the gunsmith and delivered to them.

Consider Tubb Dust for continued maintenance. It's added to your powder to aid in copper removal much like that found in some brands of gunpowder. I haven't used it but it's there should I get a heavy fouling barrel.

I've never paid more than $150 for a gunsmith to rebarrel. If bedding is required that's another $125-$150. I also usually deliver the rifle to them directly so it's only gas for two round trips.

Barrel cost to me is usually around $400-$450 if bought by the gunsmith and delivered to them.

Could you provide us with the contact info for your gunsmith that will do a rebarrel job for $150? I've rebarreled several rifles over the last few years. I used several different smiths. It looks like they all have grossly overcharged me.

While this idea is tempting, consider the cost:
1. New match barrel $440
2. Gunsmith fees to thread, chamber, etc $400
3. Shipping the rifle $100 each way

Total average cost $1,040

You can choose a nice carbon bbl for an additional $400 and thread the muzzle for a brake, add another $100 to that.

Replacement barrels are not inexpensive. I'd try the Tubbs idea first.
You can do a remage for $400 plus tool cost and gauges. The tubbs will mainly polish the throat which is one source of fouling. However if the bore is bad it's going to be an ongoing issue.

The only other thing you can try is some flitz metal polish on a patch on a brush and try and polish the barrel. A buddy does that on all his factory rifles. But if the barrel has excessive tooling marks and the bore is rough it's going to be hard to fix without changing the barrel.

How much is your time worth? Have to spend several hours cleaning a junk barrel that fouls badly in 15/20 rounds, put a new barrel on from a reputable manufacturer, and have the work done by a reputable smith. There's a few really good, some decent, and a lot of not so good smith's out there.

How much is your time worth? Have to spend several hours cleaning a junk barrel that fouls badly in 15/20 rounds, put a new barrel on from a reputable manufacturer, and have the work done by a reputable smith. There's a few really good, some decent, and a lot of not so good smith's out there.
If it's a hobby my time is worth zero. That's the definition of a hobby. It shouldn't take several hours once you learn how to address the issue.

Recent Posts