Copper fouling

bedrok

Couple questions about fouling in a friends rifle I'm trying to make shoot: I've found Over the years that stainless barrels are a lot easier to clean and defoul than moly. But this one (25+ year old Douglas moly) is giving me fits. I've used alternating treatments of copper remover and powder solvent thinking there're layers of copper and hard powder built up. The patches following the copper treatments keep coming out blue, not getting any better. I finally used Witches Brew and the patch came out totally black. So my question is do I have more hard powder than copper in the bore and does anyone have any recommendations on better cleaning products? I can still see traces blue Oxidized copper in the corners of the grooves.

Be careful if using "Witches Brew" from what you are describing it is an old barrel. Do you know how many rounds it and cleaning practices? You can get some Sweets 7.62 or Montana Copper solvent Just remember that you will probably have to do many repeated cleanings, Use a nylon brush to but the solvent in the barrel. If you are going to use bronze/copper brushes make sure you run from the chamber to the muzzle and not in reverse.
Thanks
Len

Attachments

• Montana.jpg
    Montana.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 80
Depends on what is wrong as to what it needs, I stuck with copper and carbon solvents, combo solvents, this and that.... but I finally "fixed" a rifle of mine that had gradually (years) degraded from a consistent .5/.75 moa gun to 2 moa (odd fliers) by cleaning it with a mild bore polish.

Again, different issues need different methods but I used KG2. There are other polishing products but this did it for me. A buddy used JB bore paste and Kroil on a felt plug, fixed his similar issue.

Couple questions about fouling in a friends rifle I'm trying to make shoot: I've found Over the years that stainless barrels are a lot easier to clean and defoul than moly. But this one (25+ year old Douglas moly) is giving me fits. I've used alternating treatments of copper remover and powder solvent thinking there're layers of copper and hard powder built up. The patches following the copper treatments keep coming out blue, not getting any better. I finally used Witches Brew and the patch came out totally black. So my question is do I have more hard powder than copper in the bore and does anyone have any recommendations on better cleaning products? I can still see traces blue Oxidized copper in the corners of the grooves.
Patches can come out blue if you use anything copper or bronze in your routine, like a jag or brush, essentially giving you a false positive. Bore tech has jags that won't cause the patches to turn blue. I only use nylon brushes with mine, and I use the bore tech jags - I think they are called proof positive.

Last edited:
You can give Sharp shooteRs Wipe-Out foaming bore cleaner a try along with Wipe-Out accelerator and as a reasonably cheap to try and it can not harm your barrel.
Been using it for 10+ years and it never ceases to amize me how well it removes copper and carbon.

Patches can come out blue if you use anything copper or bronze in your routine, like a jag or brush, essentially giving you a false negative. Bore tech has jags that won't cause the patches to turn blue. I only use nylon brushes with mine, and I use the bore tech jags - I think they are called proof positive.
Absolutely second this^^^^^^^^
I bought a set of Tipton Nickle plated bore jags to eliminate the false positive my brass jags were giving me.
Set has jags from 17-50 caliber.