How to cut copper fouling???

bdeternv

I know this is an age old question but the threads that I saw were older.

I have a Bergara B-14 Wilderness Terrain 300 PRC that is very sensitive to copper fouling. I am shooting 180 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips at 3100fps. It is a 1/2 MOA rifle when clean, but it will open to almost 2 MOA pretty quickly. I have tried Bore Tech Eliminator, Bore Tech Copper cleaner, Montana X-Treme copper killer, and Montana X-Treme bore polish. Soaking and or scrubbing the barrel with a nylon brush has been in vain.

I am open to any suggestions that will help! Thanks in advance!!!

Brandon

Attachments

• IMG_1286.jpeg
    IMG_1286.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1288.jpeg
    IMG_1288.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 143
I know this is an age old question but the threads that I saw were older.

I have a Bergara B-14 Wilderness Terrain 300 PRC that is very sensitive to copper fouling. I am shooting 180 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips at 3100fps. It is a 1/2 MOA rifle when clean, but it will open to almost 2 MOA pretty quickly. I have tried Bore Tech Eliminator, Bore Tech Copper cleaner, Montana X-Treme copper killer, and Montana X-Treme bore polish. Soaking and or scrubbing the barrel with a nylon brush has been in vain.

I am open to any suggestions that will help! Thanks in advance!!!

Brandon
I switched from nylon to bronze brush a long time ago. Don't be afraid to use it - this is your most economical course of action since you already have a good list of solvents before going to a more aggressive route. Whatever solvent you use, A WORD OF CAUTION: READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY TO THE T, ESPECIALLY IF YOU SOAK IT IN AN EXTENDED AMOUNT OF TIME.

Last edited:
JB Red, used first on a punch type jag with patches. For what ever reason, few know of the JB Red or Bore Bright as it is more aggressive than the regular JB. If carbon and copper persist, then use the JB Red (Bore Bright) on a iosso or Montana Extreme plastic brush short stroking the brush back and forth in a scrubbing action.

The Copper Killer is best applied with a wool mop soaked with solution, you have to get enough solution in the bore to make it effective. When you apply the solution with a punch type of jag and patch, much of the solution gets squeezed off the patch.

Clean every 20-30 rounds, MAX!

Last edited:
Some rifle barrels go 20 rounds between cleanings but some can barely make it 10 shots. Wipe-Out with Accelerator 10-20 strokes, then a couple dry patches. Follow it up with Ballistol or Kroil on patch. Then shoot ur groups, it'll only get better.

I have been using Hoppe's 9 Black.
The bottle is black with step 2 High- Performance Copper Cleaner. Wrote on it.
And I use a bronze brush.
I run the brush up and down 10 -12 times and soak the brush again and run it 10 to 30 times up and down, run a soaked patch up and 2 dry . Check with bore scope and do it again if I have to.
This stuff has really worked for me. 👍

Others will have solutions regarding to removal of existing copper.

Allow to recommend for future reference the treatment of bullets and bore with hexagonal boron nitride. It really helps in many regards including reduced fouling and easier cleaning, ESPECIALLY with bullets of long bearing surface or pure copper construction vs gilding metal (like Barnes and swift for example).

Other coatings exist, like tungsten disulphide, molybdenum disulphide, lubalox, the old Barnes baked on blue xlc, nickel plating…

HBN is miles away superior to all of them in all relevant regards. I highly recommend it.

It's too bad IMR enduron powders are discontinued. The combo of HBN impregnated bullets and copper erasing powders made copper fouling a non issue for me even with old school ungrooved Barnes X bullets.

No, the very last thing you would ever want to do to fix copper fouling is to polish a bore.
Use the blue J-B Non-Embedding Bore Cleaning Compound.

Then solve the issue with Tubb's FinalFinish, and coat bullets with Tungsten Disulfide (WS2).
Blue?