how many shoot the .300 wsm?

albertakid

Okay so I have a real wild hair to rebarrel my beloved .308 into a .300 wsm and am wondering how many of you use this round and what kinda barrel life etc.. am I looking at. Also i this a good idea as I don't have enough just to build another rifle but may want something that can rach out there a little further than my .308, but is easy to reload and not a pain to shoot!

If I do this the platform would be a cz usa 550 which i believe is a modified mauser action and I want to a varmit style barrel at 28" or so

Jordan

I just built my first personal 300wsm and 6.5-300 wsm. I could not be happier with both. Both 24" barrels and 7 pounds total scoped. Both one hole rifles. This week I ran the 300 up to 3425 fps with 150 grain bullets and no pressure signs. Best one hole accuracy was at 3350 fps which is right where the 300 win mag shoots best. But the 300wsm does it with a 24" barrel and 7 scoped out pounds. H-414 and Winchester MRP were the best powders in that bullet weight out of about 8 I tried. Obviously I have no extended experience with this round but have shot about everything out there extensively over the past forty years and with that experience I think the 300 wsm barrel would last a guy a lifetime if properly cared for.

Got 3 WSMs now and just sold one and waiting to pick up one more from Bruce Baer.

My first barrel went 2400 plus rounds.

Danny Brooks won the IBS nationals this year with a WSM that had 4500 rds down the tube and put three 4inch groups (5 shots) at 1k.

Nuf said.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.