how many rounds before shooting for groups

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by sambar1, Sep 21, 2010.

1. sambar1

sambar1 Member

i recently purchased a new howa 1500 in 7mm RM i did the whole cleaning job between each shot for first few and then every 3 for a while, after about 15 rounds i tryed to shoot a few groups which in the end didnt impress me much with the best 3 shot at about 1.5" its all bedded floated and all that so i dont need that recommended my Q is how many rounds should i rattle through it before i shoot for groups and expect to see accuracy? was i trying too early?

2. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

You may need to change ammo and try something different if you are not using hand loads. Factory ammo will change your consistency with each manufacturer. Usually 2 shots down the bore will foul it well enough to start shooting groups. Some guns just like to run dirty and others clean. You didn't mention trigger work, has that been done?

Tank

3. Shutster

Shutster New Member

It should shoot right out of the box. I have never owned an accurate gun that didn't shoot well from the gitgo........... It might get slightly better though.

4. justgoto

justgoto Well-Known Member

I broke-in my Howa 1500 as I Audette Ladder Tested.

Breaking-in the barrel doesn't make it more accurate; it causes the barrel to foul less, so you need not clean it as often to keep what accuracy you have.

Like liltank said, you're going to have to either develop a load or find the ammo that shoots well in that particular rifle.

5. sambar1

sambar1 Member

OK so some more load develpoment is needed. the only thing I did notice that may have caused this that i sized all my new win brass and when i seated the projectiles it shaved a little bit off the side of proj there must have been a burr on the inside of the case neck would this make a huge difference to group size?

6. justgoto

justgoto Well-Known Member

Maybe not a huge difference but would make some difference.

You don't have a chamfer tool?