Gunslick Bore Cleaner??

I often use the Gunslick foaming bore cleaner when I can let a rifle sit such as overnight or, today, while I'm at work. It really seems to work well on copper, and after swabbing out the Gunslick I then get to it with BoreTech solutions to finish the job.

There are a lot of good solvents if used as directed. also lots of opinions as to which is best,

I have tried many different ones and settled on three solvents. (No one solvent fits every situation)

I use three because of different needs. the first one (Sweets 762)is very aggressive and can not be left in a barrel over 15 or 20 minutes. it is used for extremely copper fouled barrels and also will destroy bronze brushes.

Next I use (Butches Bore shine)for general use at the range and during brake in because it is
fairly fast and Is recommended by my barrel maker. It will still turn patches green from the bronze brushes so after a while I will use nylon brushes or cloth swabs to make sure the brushes are not
indicating copper when there is none.

And when I come home from a hard day at the range or from a hunting trip and don't feel like cleaning my rifles immediately. I will use (Bore tech eliminator) because I can leave it in the barrel over night, (Hoppe's 9) can also be left in for extended periods of time. and the next day I can begin cleaning.

There are lots of other solvents that will do the same as these three but you have to find out each ones effect on barrels and the recommended time they can spend in a barrel without damage.

If you are not sure about this time limit, I recommend never leaving it in the barrel over 10 or 15 minutes, and oiling the barrel after it's use before storage.

Gunslick appears to be fairly aggressive so it should not be left in the barrel to long.

Hope this helps. Finished my coffee so its time to get to work.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.