What bore cleaner do you use ?!

H82MISS

I have been using KG12 copper solvent, and wondered if there is something else anyone else uses they find better in any way? I was using Butchs Bore Shine, but thought the KG line might do a better job without the smell.
I know theres tons of videos out there on various bore cleaners, and methods of cleaning but I was looking for advice from you shooters here.
Thanks !!!

I have not restricted my self to one solvent and typicality use one of three or fore depending on the needs and time requirements of proper cleaning.

I use Butches Bore Shine during Brake in because it is recommended by my favorite barrel maker and relatively fast and for normal cleaning where I don't leave It for any length of time.

For a realy badly fouled barrel (Some people never realy clean there rifles and they need to be cleaned back to bright metal) I will use Sweets 762. It is very aggressive and should not be left in a bore more than 5 or 10 minutes.

For over night soaking I like the Bore Tech eliminator solvent (Sometimes I may not have time to clean it completely, and it is harmless to the bore But takes longer to do its job.

There are other good solvents that can be used if you read the instructions and use applicably. Pick the one that best suites your cleaning method and timeliness.

Some solvents say you can leave them in the bore for storing, I don't recommend this practice with ANY solvent, I like to totally clean and dry patch and then store with a good coating of gun oil in the bore. But A good dry patching is required/Recommended before shooting after storage.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Yep bore tech I usually clean mine very good after each season of hunting so I never get a serious build up. So doesn't take me very long. I run a soaked patch down it if it's gonna be a couple of days between hunts during season so that it doesn't have a chance to rust. Then I run a dry patch down before shooting. At the end of season takes a few wet patches followed by several dry ones to remove any extra. Then I run two patches soaked with oil through the bore for storage. Then wipe out before shooting.

Whose bore brushes are you guys using ? I've been using bore cleaner on nylon brushes, then final clean with multiple patches on jag until clean/dry, and lastly coat with some oil to protect until back out shooting, where I run dry patch through bore prior to shooting sessions.