what do you use ?

Harris S-Series Bipod and Holland rear bag.

Also, have a set of Stoney Point tri-pod with Tag-along.

Use a Caldwell fire-control front rest with my target gun.

I like the FireControl a lot.

It's a bit heavy to lug around. But, it's the best of that type of rest I've found for the money.

By type, I mean that it fits a 3" target stock nicely (with the wide bag) and allows you to adjust elevation and windage with one hand and allows the rifle to track straight.

I bought it used on ebay and it had broken knobs from shipping. But, Caldwell replaced them at no charge. Apparently they have a lifetime warranty.

Harris 9~13" swivel bi-pod in front and a Bag I got from Defensive Edge for the rear suport. I shoot like this prone whether I am sighting in, practicing or hunting. Just can't get too much practice with your shooting position and set up.

Jeff gun)gun)

I use my bipod, Harris S-type for hunting purposes, and a home made rest for load tests with rear bag.

HomemadeRest008.jpg

HomemadeRest003.jpg

Didn't take me long to make it. I also added some softer padding that is not in the picture for better control.

Tank

I shoot from a benchrest with pedestal fore rest and rear bag when testing guns/loads.

But, I shoot from bipod when figuring drops and such. Reason being; I've seen some rifles shoot different point of impact from a bipod than they do off a benchrest, and I don't plan on hunting from the benchrest.....even though it is portable, just too much stuff to drag along.

For normal distances and when the bipod wont work, I use crossed shooting sticks from a sitting position when I can.

The buck in "How wide is this Mule Deer" thread didn't give me any time to use any kind of rest, and was shot prone with no bipod for the 1st shot, standing and freehand with the 3rd and final shot (2nd shot was a miss from prone position.)

Last edited:
We are usuallly shooting off of some sort of table (sometimes a rock table) using a harris swivel bipod and a rear bag. We travel to far to carry a bench with us.

Harris swivel 9"-13" bipod w/podlock and a rear bag from Triad Tactical. However, with the wet years we have had lately, this set-up does not get me above the higher grass. So I am now looking for a higher set-up to use when these conditions are present. Possibly the Stoney Point tripod w/tag along. These were used in early episodes of Best of the West.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.