what do you guys use?

supercrossbmx69

What packs do you guys use for carrying your LONG and heavy rifle rifle through the woods? My rifle will weight 15-16 pounds and will have a 32" barrel. I bought a blacks creek barbarian 2.5 but am questioning my decision. I like how alot of eberlystock packs will fit most of the rifle in the pack so when walking it wont slide back and forth. Any input will be greatly appreciated!

My truck! If it's much of a walk I take the 270 and close the distance. I use to pack the 7mag all over the countryside, but dropping 6-7lbs in rifle weight allows me to carry drink, food and still with less weight making me more mobile. Being able to go check every little hidie hole I see far more game than setting up with a great vantage point, or walking ridges with a great over view.:)

I use the Eberlestock X1 and it will carry either of my LR rigs. One is a 338LM with a 28" tube plus brake in an A-5 weighing over 16 lbs and the other is a 300 win wth a 28" plus brake weighing 12 lbs. It carries them nice and is comfortable even in steep rough terrain. The capacity of the X1 is not the best for packing out meat but it is fine for a bones deer or antelope. It will hold all I want to take in one trip and the price is not too bad. I have also heard good things about the Eberlestock dragonfly which is a larger pack.

Jeff

I use the Eberlestock Just One but my rig is just an accurized Ruger M77 MKII 300 Win Mag.

If you want a pack that will carry a rifle that large, look at the Gunslinger II. My friend bought one as it was the only pack he could find from Eberlestock that would fit his Savage 110 BA 300 Win Mag w/ a nightforce nxs 5.5-22x50.

2013 Eberlestock Gunslinger II Pack

Even though he was only lugging that cannon around the hills in Eastern MT, it got heavy quick!

My back country pack is the High Country Extreme II. My gun is always plenty secure when it is strapped to my back, and the pack is as comfortable as you can get when you are carrying heavy loads. I DO NOT like that when my gun is on the pack it extends below the bottom of the pack. Something as little as just wanting to sit down for a second becomes a pain in the *** because you either gotta take off the pack or sit awkwardly. Not a big deal if you don't typically walk far, but for someone like me who is putting a miles on the boots, it can get annoying after awhile.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.