What kind of shooting log do you use?

KQguy

I want to start using a log book to keep track of all my range time,so hopefully I can use it to learn from.What kind of information should I use each time?I was thinking,temp.,wind,pressure,humidity,group size,distance.Anyone who keeps track that could chime in and add some advise would be appreciated.If you know where I could get a good log book,that would be helpful also.

I want to start using a log book to keep track of all my range time,so hopefully I can use it to learn from.What kind of information should I use each time?I was thinking,temp.,wind,pressure,humidity,group size,distance.Anyone who keeps track that could chime in and add some advise would be appreciated.If you know where I could get a good log book,that would be helpful also.
I bought a log book for $20 at sportmen warhouse it comes with 4 diffrent style targets (rember to save one of each page for copies) and 2 diffrent style logs one benchrest and one standerd load devlopment, it also has spots for shotgun loads and a spot to recored you guns ser# and desciption. hope this helps Zach!

If you are trying to learn from different shooting conditions and such, Sinclair Internatinal has some (mostly for highpower competion shooting) that should work. If you are thorough in you recording you can see patterns form such thing as cold bore shots and weather conditons.

Thanks for the help,I mainly want to be able to look through my notes and learn more how my gun shoots in different conditions.

Here is a page out of mine on a day testing at 300 yards. A properly maintained log book is a very valuable tool.
rangereport7-12.JPG

I like the way you laid it out,what information do you include in your log(temp,alt.,humidity,wind etc.)?

I am in the process of scanning the Word Document so that I can host it but I use the one Speedy developed and it is outstanding.. Will post a little later or you can send me a PM and I will email it to you..

Here it is:

SpeedyLoadSheet.jpg

Last edited:
I get the 5 subject note books, they're nice because they have folders build into them so you have a place to put your targets when you have finished shooting. If I'm trying to develop a load then I will have two note books at the range one to write how the load does (velocity, group size, how far off POI was from POA), and another to keep track of the rifle. In this note book things like weather conditions, winds direction and speed, temp, humidity, time of day, and how many rounds have been through the barrel. Also when I'm done shooting I will gather up my targets and make markings on them so I can keep track of the groups on the target with the notes in my notebook.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.