Getting my Dad a scope for his 60th birthday. Opinions?

engineer40

My Dad is turning 60 in September. When we were shooting last weekend he mentioned wanting a better scope to put on his Henry 44 Mag lever action.

He has never owned a Leupold and said it would be nice if he could afford one right now. But I know he would be open to other American made manufacturers also.

Requirements would be:
-Reasonably lightweight. He carries this gun often.
-Very generous eye relief for quick target acquisition (he does hunt with this).

Preferences would be:
-30mm tube.
-Possibly an illuminated reticle, but this wouldn't be a deal breaker.

I know very little about Leupolds myself. But my Dad works hard (even though he is now retired) and deserves a nice scope.

What would you guys be leaning towards? Thanks!

It doesn't appear that Leupold has many 30mm tubes. All 1 inch. At least in the price range I'm looking at (under $600).

Anyone have experience with the UltimateSlam 3-9x40mm Illuminated?

Thanks!

Coming on to being 60, and get that "iron sights" might be ornamental.

Not wishing to change the handling characteristics on my .44 Lever Gun (Ruger), I went with the reflex sight. Burris Fastfire 2, which there are better choices out there these days.

I don't know what mounting options there are on a Henry, but the Leupold Ultralight 2X, or the basic Leupold 2-7x work well also.

Why does he want a 30mm tube?

I would just chalk that up as a preference not a requirement. Just like the illumination which unless that's the dad's request and he has experience w/ them I don't think it is a necessity. Just about any scope has plenty of clarity during all legal hunting hours and beyond.

Whats the price range? Of course there may be better options out there but leupold has a name for itself and it is ingrained in some people they are the best especially the old timers. If he has always wanted a leupold by all means get him one, I personally wouldn't try to sell him on anything new or fancy (per say).

How much zoom will he need? I assume that he won't need much since it's for a 44 mag, but I do recognize age/degrading website.

If you wanted to spend somewhere around the $500 range - Vortex PST 1-4X
If you wanted to spend somewhere around the $350 range - Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6X
If you wanted to spend somewhere around the $250 range - Vortex Crossfire II 1-4X V-Brite

If you couldn't tell, after owning some of them, I got really biased for Vortex hunting scopes. I've owned/shot through everything from VX-1 to Mark 4 Leupolds, and I think they are great, but Vortex is hard to beat for the value/features in my opinion. If you did want to stick with Leupold, I would recommend a VX-Hog/VX-1 Shotgun/VX-1 2-7X. I run a VX-1 shotgun scope on my 223 and I really like it, but it does lack the tube diameter and illumination that you have with a Vortex in a similar price point.

Coming on to being 60, and get that "iron sights" might be ornamental.

Not wishing to change the handling characteristics on my .44 Lever Gun (Ruger), I went with the reflex sight. Burris Fastfire 2, which there are better choices out there these days.

I don't know what mounting options there are on a Henry, but the Leupold Ultralight 2X, or the basic Leupold 2-7x work well also.

I agree, if it was my gun I would probably look at a reflex sight myself too. Thanks for the Leupold recommendations. I'll check them out!

Why does he want a 30mm tube?

Ohiohunter is correct. It is a preference, not a requirement. Simply because he shot one of my rifles with a scope that has a 30mm tube. And we had a very brief discussion about theoretical benefits of better light transmission. I do realize this is often argued against as well.

I would just chalk that up as a preference not a requirement. Just like the illumination which unless that's the dad's request and he has experience w/ them I don't think it is a necessity. Just about any scope has plenty of clarity during all legal hunting hours and beyond.

Whats the price range? Of course there may be better options out there but leupold has a name for itself and it is ingrained in some people they are the best especially the old timers. If he has always wanted a leupold by all means get him one, I personally wouldn't try to sell him on anything new or fancy (per say).

You are right on the money! I personally have nothing against Leupold. I've never bought one because I've never felt like the value you get is worth the money you spend. (Don't get me wrong, I'd get one in a second if I found a good deal). My dad has just always wanted a Leupold so that's probably what I'll end up getting him.

Thanks!

Well I ended up ordering him a Leupold UltimateSlam 3-9x40mm Illuminated for $399. It's not the exact scope I would have ordered for myself. But I looked at what features he has liked about scopes in the past and decided on this one.

I'm 95% sure this is the scope he would have bought for himself if he had the money. I think he'll love it.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

The 44 Henry is a beautiful rifle. If this scope is just for that rifle, I'd get a 1" since you probably won't need the range of adjustment and there is a weight savings which will help maintain the excellent handling characteristics of a lever action. The mount for a Henry isn't exactly built like a tank so a lighter scope might do well in that regard also. If he likes Leopold's, that's what I'd get him. A basic 3x9 with a regular plex reticle will fill all his needs from target to hunting. Something like this.
Leupold VX-3 Rifle Scope 2.5-8x 36mm

Edit: Just saw you ordered one. Great choice.

I personally love the VX3 2.5-8. Great lightweight scope with plenty of eye relief. I have 4 of these on different rifles and the service in all cases has been excellent.----SS

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.