G7 range finder

jimbires

I'm curious how this range finder is working out for the guys that have one . I thought there would be some talk about them after the group buy , but it's been quiet . please let us know , pros , cons , whatever . thanks Jim

Jim, I just got one in here to test out. However work is slowing down the testing. As soon as I get the 45 page manual read and a bullet profile loaded in it, I will be off to test it using my PLRF10 along side. I did range my favorite rock off hand from my yard and it hit it correctly at 905 yards. Just before dark in evening light I ranged a rock bluff at 2559 yds. but I didnt confirm this with the PLRF10 yet. One of my first impressios was the display was hard to see. But reading the manual I found 4 intensity setting for display brightness. This made the display more visable and is a nice option. Also there is 3 or 4..(cant remember) differen reticles to choose from. However I don't see that much of an advantage to one from another. First opinion is they are all to big and thick, but I need to test this more.

I will start a thread as soon as I get more actual field time and I will be testing it with my 300 win to see how it does for cold bore first round hits.

More later

Jeff

Jeff , thanks for the reply . your tests will be exactly the information I'm looking for . also seeing how it stacks up against the PLRF10 will be very interesting .

you other guys , please chime in . it's always nice to hear from more than one user . thanks Jim

Shawn already did a pretty in depth review and used his PLRF10 to validate. You may want to search that one up if you haven't read it. I doubt I will find anything he didn't cover but I will post what I see.

Jeff

Jeff , I did read Shawns' review . it sounds like the G7 would be a good LRF for me . I also like the idea of an all in one unit , easier to carry .
after reading about other makers range finders having good ones and not so good ones , in their distance ability . I was wondering about the G7's , are they all fairly equal , or is there good ones and not so good ones ? Jim

Jeff I was wondering about the G7's , are they all fairly equal , or is there good ones and not so good ones ? Jim

Good point Jim. I have sure seen it every other RF except the Vectronix units so far. Would be good to hear from others about the G7. I did test 5 PLRF10's all at once, side by side on same targets and same conditions. They were all equal.

Jeff

that's good to know the vectronix LRF's are equal . I expected this, but you never know . you having 5 of them side by side kind of proves it .
I hope the guys have tested their G7's over the past couple months , and have some good info to share with us . Jim

i know a rather well known gun builder that received one from them. he said it wouldn't range much very far. he didn't have any good words for it.

thanks for the reply Dave . I wonder if the factory can or will make an adjustment for this problem , or if it falls in the acceptable range .

hopefully a few other guys will let us know their results . Jim

Nothing even comes close ..There is no other range finder on the market
that does everything the G7 does for the money. You have everything
you need for any shot ,at any angle with one push of the button.

My longest range was 2,763 yards ...and I ranged it over and over.
The unit work,s period and they would be happy to prove to you I,am
sure.

In Montana last month mine ranged out past 2,000 yards in a light rain.

I used mine all last season to hunt. Love it.

Aaron approached me a few weeks ago to become a dealer and I jumped at the chance.

For sale in the LRH Store now, ready to ship.

I was bummed that I missed the group buy by a week. I ordered one from Shawn and tested it against my Swarovski LRF. I couldn't get the G7 to range much past 1500 yards but it matched everything I could range with it to my Swaro. I have gotten my Swaro to range out to 1900 yards in the past.

I brought my PDA into the field and calculated the MOA as if I had to calculate it manually for a shot. I use Exbal and calculated all my dope at one of Shawn's LR class a few years ago and have had successful hunts. So I know my Exbal calculation is accurate out to 1000 yards.

I then compared it to the G7, which had the identical dope data in it. I had to increase my velocity from 2690 to 2698 in the G7. This increase in velocity in the G7 was the best I could do to make the shorter and longer distances be within .25MOA or so of the Exbal calculation. Probably a little less. I figure that's probably the best I'm going to get with it.

I haven't been able to actually use it and shoot at the same time. I'm confident in the range being accurate. I just need to take some shots between 400 and 1000 yards to make sure everything is on. If not then it will be an expensive mistake. However I don't think it will be. I talked to Shawn before purchasing and for the way I shoot LR this should work out just fine.

I have used mine since last October hunting and practice shooting with no problems.When the correct ballistic data has been entered, it will give spot on corrections. On the other hand, I have shown it to experienced hunters and shooters that could not get a range or ballistic corrections even at 300 to 500 yds, so I attribute some shortcomings that we hear about to operator error.I watch the classified ads on this site daily, and have yet to see a used G7 rangefinder for sale. That has not been the case with others. Gary Campbell

I am very happy with mine. My former set up was a rangefinder and the Shooter app in my phone. I used them side by side and they agreed perfectly with each other. After using the trajectory validation at gseven.com I put the corrected values into the br2. my next step is to do cold bore testing at varying ranges and conditions, but so far the numbers have been right on at my favorite shooting spot all the way out to 1270 yards.

I think it does exactly what it is advertised to do. For long range hunting out to 1400 yards with one button press ballistics is why I bought mine. So far it has worked awesome for me. farthest range was 2601.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.