First shots with 270 Allen Mag

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
I only fired two rounds but I figured I might as well get this thread started since after tuesday I am sure me and BJ will have a hell of a lot of info post.

Well I loaded up 2 rounds with 98 grains of WC872 b behind a 150gr Nosler Ballistic tip. I didn't wanna burn up all of my super high BC wildcat bullets while I was fireforming. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I haven't put a scope on the gun because the Mark 4 rings I got from my families store wouldn't let the scope clear that big ol barrel.

Me and the wife went out to my parents land and me and dad went out to the pond to let a few rounds fly. Both shots were off hand and I really just tried to hold on a particluar root sticking out of the bank I was shooting into about 75yrds away.

I was thinkg for some reason the gun was going to kick decently and I kinda jerked the first shot. I probably looked pretty stupid flinching so **** bad considering the gun kicks like my old heavy barrel 22-250.

The second shot was a little more professional and I was really able to get a feel for the 10oz trigger and the virtual lack of recoil.

I am sure the will be a little more kick when I am shooting it prone our off a bench but either way the thing is real easy on the shoulder. Sorry I don't have any groups to show you but I just wanted to see what the gun would feel like.

The fireformed brass was pretty slick to see. I have never had a gun I had to fireform for before so it was new experince. I did forget to really swab out the chamber before I shot it after brushing out the barrel real good though. After the first shot you could clearly see a little indention on the caseing from a peice of brass brush that had been left in the chamber.

The shoulder of the formed cases really makes them look pretty serious. Now I only have to form 148 more of them. Those two shots were number 5 and 6 for the gun so I guess I still have a ways to go before I get the 50 round break in process done.

After this I shot dad 300rum a few times getting it ready for our moose hunt. I will tell you, that gun will shoot. Its a factory Rem 700 ADL shooting Rem Scirocco 150gr factory loads and it will consistantly hold 3/4" at 100 yards. Not bad for a pencil barrel factory gun.

I will have some more info and some groups to post in a day or two.

Thanks again Kirby.

Take it easy
steve

Lerch:

Just remember, those fire-forming loads can quite often be very accurate so why waste them? Load em up, sight it in, and go liquefy some PD's or something similar. They would give you some practice with the new gun as well as getting your formed cases.

What scope are you putting on the new 270 AM???

The fire-formed 270AM really is a serious looking case isn't it? Good to hear you finally got to put some down the tube. Now get serious with it and report back with the range/field reports.

Have Fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lerch,

I would agree its much more enjoyable to fireform while you are shooting at vernim then on paper. I shot my personal best 500 yard three shot group with the 270 AM with a fireforming load. A very mild one at that using the 169.5 gr ULD loaded to only a hair over 3000 fps.

311879.jpg

This was not the average of the fireforming load but the rifle would seldom shoot much over 1/2 moa at 500 yards. I did not test your rifles at this but I suspect they will be totally usable for some pretty decent range on P. Dogs.

Makes break in go by fsater as well. Especially once you get to the shoot three and clean stage.

The rifle will not kick any more with full tilt loads. In fact it may kick a bit less. With the pressure gets up with the big 169.5 gr ULD the muzzle pressure also increases and the brake will really start to work for you.

Plus the weight of the scope will add some as well.

Have fun!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I will be shooting it at pdogs real soon. I just flung these into the dirt today just so I could get a feel for the gun. Hopefully after tuesday or so I can get past the 20 round stage and then the pdogs will be screwed.

I am gonna put a leup 6.5-20x50mm 30mm tube target scope on it. Right now it just has the regular duplex in it but after the bank account gets back out of the red I am gonna put the TMR reticle in it.

Kriby and who ever else: Any ideas on how to speed up the clean up process, I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks
Steve

For the barrel break in process I assume your refering to I would go with coppermelt if you have any if not I don't know what to tell.
Glad to see you are enjoying it already. Now stop posting about it before I drive to Montana and wait outside Kirby's shop until mine is finished!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just kidding keep us posted on how she does when you get the scope on it!!

Lerch,

Use a good tight bronze brush, soak it in BBS and give the bore 10 strokes, resoak, give it 10 more strokes, resoak and give it ten more. Then run a couple tight patches through the bore and check for copper residue on the muzzle with a good bore light. More then likely there will be none there. IF there is repeat the process and recheck.

When you run the second dry patch through the bore it should feel smooth as glass going down the bore. Pay attentoin to how the patch feels just ahead of the throat as this is where copper will generally collect if it is going to. Should not be an issue with the Lilja barrel.

One last tip, make sure you oil your bore before shooting the next two rounds. Any bore that is completely dry will copper foul on the first shot. I highly recommend getting a high quality cutting oil and coat the bore good adn then run a semi tight dry patch through to remove the excess oil. There will be a light film on the bore when you fire again but this seems to greatly aid in smoothing up the bore quicker which again is not an issue with the Lilja barrel.

You will notice that around shots 6 to 8 the barrel will simply stop fouling in most cases. When you see this do another couple two shot pairs and then you can skip to the three shot strings to speed things up.

BJs barrel really never did foul so he could probably go straight to the 3shot strings if he wanted.

The oil though is the best thing to use to aid break in.

Also keep those bore brushes tight, you will go through several of them in the break in process but if they get loose in the bore they will not clean as quickly so keep them snug and replace when needed.

Remember to clean that chamber, bolt locking lug area and muzzle brake after each scrubbing. A brush bristle blown out of a muzzle brake can be a serious problem if it lands in the wrong spot. Clean them out totally before shooting.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.