270 Allen Mag shooting

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Me and Bill Bailey went out this morning and shot our 270AM's since we finally got a break from the 109deg heat wave I have nicknamed satans crotch 2006!!!

Morning shooting went good with early temps around 70-80deg's and a light northwind that was very welcome. The 101gr load of US 869 I was shooting showed promise at 400yds so I decide to do some more shooting in the evening.

BJ printed me off a sheet from exbal that gave me rough drops out to 1k so I headed out at 6:00pm. After setting up a 2ft by 2ft box covered in butchers paper at 650yds I headed back to my shooting spot. I decided to shoot prone in the back of my truck. I prefer shooting prone to sitting at a bench. This is the way I started shooting and I simply like this better.

There is nothing wrong with our Varmint Masters bench, it is by far the best portable bench I have ever shot at and the swivel ability is astounding. I just like belly shooting better and I feel more stable.

Exbal called for 5moa up from my 400yd zero. I settled in and found the 2.5" shoot n see target in my crosshairs. The rifle basix trigger broke at around 10oz and the 169.5 ULD was on her way. I couldnt spot a impact but on the second shot I saw the splash just above the box.

Using the NPR-2 reticle I judged the miss to be 1moa high with perfect windage. I took out the moa and fired the 3rd round, i thought i saw a bullet land near the center but I wasnt sure. Shot 4 was clearly just to the side of the bullseye and I decided to let her cool down.

I went to the 20-60 80mmHD Swaro and easily saw the 2 bullets holes just inside 1" apart. I was very pleased so far but I wanted to let the big 270 cool down. I switched to a Kimber varmint 22-250 we are selling at our shop. I had shot this rifle once before in a local tournament and she proved very accurate.

I had shot her a week before and she printed a 3 shot group at 100yds that mesured .233" with the 55gr bt load i had worked up for her.

I had put our 12-42x56mm NF NXS with the CH-3 reticle on her and my first two shots were easily visable at 35x just on the bottom of the box. I used what i call the reverse adjustment method to figure the compensation. This is where I hold the reticle on the original POA and adjust the turrets until the reticle centers on the actual POI. I call it reverse adjustment since the reticle appears to move in the opposite direction you would think you need to adjust.

The next for shot settled into a nice 5" group and I was again surprised by this little gun in the 95deg heat and sweltering humidity, as well as the 10-15mph wind.

I switched back to the 270AM and my first shot i thought I felt the wind switch a little. My next shot I actually let the trigger get away from me and I could see the pulled shot was out of the group.

I really settled in for the last shot and tried to concentrate. That one landed back with the first three and I was done.

the first pic is the entire box so you can see the 270AM as well as the 22-250. The 22-250 is on the left side.
shooting001-1.jpg

This is the 270AM group. Now this is not amazing shooting and it is definantly not what Kirby's work is capable of but I was happy so I figured I would post it anyway. The 3shot group that I felt good about was 2.6" and the overall group was 4.5" but I know the high right shot I pulled and the level right shot I simply rushed and didnt pay attention to the wind.
shooting002-1.jpg

Again i know the rifle will do better but at 650yds the 3 shot group is still 1/2moa. IT was hot, humid, and a little windy and if you ever meet me during our summers you will realize I am not a "summer person", i get a little ****y when the temps rise!!

My 270AM has close to 700rnds down the pipe and I am very pleased with her. Had the conditions been better I am sure I would have held her a little more solid and tightened things up but either way I am not going to bitch.

The NPR-2 reticle was a real joy to shoot also. Its unique moa design really helps with compensation and I am very pleased.

So outside of Kirby himself me and BJ own the 2 oldest 270AM's out there and here was a little showing of what one can do with a half *** shooter behind her /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just thought you all might enjoy some more pics.

Thanks Kirby, maybe next time I can tighten the groups up and really have something to show off, either way I am still **** happy with your worksmanship.

Take it easy
steve

Steve:

Not bad shooting for a "flatlander" from Ok. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll bet you guys are glad the weather finally broke after what you've been through. If it gets much cooler down there you're gonna have to put on a sweatshirt to keep warm. Glad to see the ol 270 is still putting them where they should be. That's still pretty good shooting no matter what you say. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sounds like you guys are starting to like the NF scopes. They sure are nice and I particularly like the NP-R2 reticle. It sure can make life easier at times.

It'll be interesting to see what the round count is gonna be when your tubes finally start giving up the ghost, so to speak. Even though you guys turned your big game rifles into varmint guns, they still are holding up great. It's kinda hard not shooting something like your 270 AMs with the ballistics they give you.

I've got an idea that you may start using a slightly different varmint gun if Bat and a couple other suppliers get their act together and finally ship some parts to Montana. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Looks good to me......

Any activity w/the 195s?

Did you have yours rethroated for the longer bullets?

Are both of ya'lls rigs throated the same?

Hell, what color's your dog........?

Geez, I feel like a woman, asking silly questions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Dont get me started on BAT and others delays!! As mad as I am I cant imagine Kirby with me and BJ emailing him all the time with have you heard anythings"!!!

I realized this summer that even though Kirby told us how to be careful with the 270's we didnt really listen. It is a true big game gun and I treated it like a varmint rifle and for that I am sure it will cost me some life. So far it has held up to my abuse good and I am surprised. This winter it is getting re done into a light wieght rig in the same round so we probably wont know the true life from me.

1/2 moa is great IMOP after 650rnds of abuse I have put her through. I am still happy.

God help us with this heat wave, my skinny but cant handle 109deg's much longer. It is gonna get hot again next week but we are getting some rain breaks so I cant bitch to much.

The varmint rifle stress will be lifted off the 270 when my 6br Cooper comes in so I am sure both of us will be happy.

thanks
steve

[ QUOTE ]
I've got an idea that you may start using a slightly different varmint gun if Bat and a couple other suppliers get their act together and finally ship some parts to Montana.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't remind us!!! It's a long enough wait as is!!!

I haven't been real happy w/the US869 in my 270 so I'm off in the morning to test some of the old standby WC872. We'll see how she does.

Lerch,
Just imagine what that rifle could do if I were shooting it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Still playing with the 195's.

My rig is the one in the middle with the laminate stock. She is wearing a NF 5.5-22x56mm NPR-2 now.
Picture001.jpg

We had Kirby check the throats and he bedded BJ's stock for him. They are both throated the same, it lets the 169.5 ULD base sit just at the shoulder junction.

She wont look that way for long, big change coming this winter, i am putting her on slim fast!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

take it easy
steve

SMART ***!!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just exchanged emails w/Kirby.

Going to throat for the 195s. I figure that either they or the 169s will shoot the best and that's the one that gets selected for looonnnggg range yote sniper load for this winter.

She will be hell on yote's. I hope you are not wanting to get pelts!!! The last yote I shot with my 270AM was quartering to me at 330yds, the 169.5 landed on the onside shoulder and the offside shoulder was found 7feet from the body!!!!

Every dog I have shot did the classic spin and wound bite. When this guy got hit he looked like you simply hit the off switch, he just melted.

what are your components gonna be???

steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.