270 Allen Mag users, got a question

Derek M.

With the 169.5 wildcat bullet and WC872, what is the powder charge you settled on in your rifle and what was seating depth? Thanks, just trying to see how mine compares.

Well, hell.......

I'd respond but...........

I don't have any WC872 and ran out of 169.5s years ago..............

Plus my chamber/throat was one of the first and is very likely different than yours.........

I used something like 96+ of US860 and got 3400 but backed off to 3350. I now run the 140 NAB at 3640. Its a bit of a brick way out there and not enough for elk but she sure is accurate except for windage.:rolleyes:

Sorry I'm not much help.

Well, hell.......

I'd respond but...........

I don't have any WC872 and ran out of 169.5s years ago..............

Plus my chamber/throat was one of the first and is very likely different than yours.........

I used something like 96+ of US860 and got 3400 but backed off to 3350. I now run the 140 NAB at 3640. Its a bit of a brick way out there and not enough for elk but she sure is accurate except for windage.:rolleyes:

Sorry I'm not much help.
Thank you. I bought 16 pounds of 872 so I shouldn't run out any time soon. I think I bought 500 of the 169.5s and haven't even shot the first box yet.

I shot up to 96 and 97 gr of US869 today at 26 degrees and both of those charges were going into the same hole where the bullet was seated 15 thousandths off lands. The 872 is safe up to 99 grains with todays temps.

As far as the throat on my rifle, I did send it back to Kirby when he got a new reamer or something and he reworked it. I do not remember the details.

Just curious, but why do you say the 140 NAB isn't enough for elk? The 140 VLD from a 6.5x284 is. The 105 VLD from a 243AI has killed elk out to 1000 yards according to an outfitter I spoke with recently.

Last edited:
98 GR and .012 of the lands is my recipe at 3260 fps with 30 in barrel

Did you happen to safely get more powder in the case? I have had 99.0 gr without any pressure signs but have not gone higher. Thanks for the response.

So the outfitter(or anyone) thinks shooting elk at 1000 with a 243AI is OK? Sorry to divert the thread but you started it...haha

Did you happen to safely get more powder in the case? I have had 99.0 gr without any pressure signs but have not gone higher. Thanks for the response.

I did get to 101 gr but slight pressure signs. It was 75 deg out too. I'm sure 101 gr would be ok in winter, just not the best accuracy. 98 was my sweet spot in most temps.

Just curious, but why do you say the 140 NAB isn't enough for elk? The 140 VLD from a 6.5x284 is. The 105 VLD from a 243AI has killed elk out to 1000 yards according to an outfitter I spoke with recently.

After shooting a moose w/a 270 Win 130 Sierra @ 70 yds and comparing 169.5 gr performance against other 270 cal bullets with the 169.5 @ Am velocities (the 195 is even better) I just feel under gunned with the 140 gr bullet for anything larger than a large deer.

BTW, I'm one of those that didn't send mine back for the rethroating. I think there is a bit better velocity with the new throat but not enough to warrant the time involved.

I'm thinking of sending her in and try that new throat that Kirby designed but I haven't talked w/him about it yet.....

I'm looking forward to trying some of those new Alliant powders, one of them seems quite interesting.

After shooting a moose w/a 270 Win 130 Sierra @ 70 yds and comparing 169.5 gr performance against other 270 cal bullets with the 169.5 @ Am velocities (the 195 is even better) I just feel under gunned with the 140 gr bullet for anything larger than a large deer.

BTW, I'm one of those that didn't send mine back for the rethroating. I think there is a bit better velocity with the new throat but not enough to warrant the time involved.

I'm thinking of sending her in and try that new throat that Kirby designed but I haven't talked w/him about it yet.....

I'm looking forward to trying some of those new Alliant powders, one of them seems quite interesting.

I keep reading about a 195 gr bullet for this rifle but have never heard who made it or where it is available.

Which alliant pwdrs are you referring to?

Wildcat made the 195s. The original intent was to develop a 185 or so but Richardvseems to have not trimmed the jacket and filled it w/lead and it cam out 195. It looked so good that he gave it a go.

However, the 3 groove Lilja fast twist was just too much for the thinner jacked, different from the Corbin jacket (I think) on the 169.5.

At about 400 rounds down the barrel about 50% of the Lilja barrels started dusting the 195s. That was the exact point where I got them to shooting really well at about 3050 fps. What a bummer...

I'm in the initial stages of developing a 180gr bullet for the 270 AM that will have a bc of about 0.65 or maybe a bit better. The outcome depends on die development time, whether the bullet is a good one both consistency, accuracy and terminal performance. If it works out it will be a good thing. If not, it'll be more $ down the ol' black hole.:rolleyes:

Regareding Alliant powders, looke at the daily bulletin at 6br site. They are making some new ones, all ball and one designed for the 50 BMG. Should be interesting in these overbore rifles..

Great news on the 180 gr bullets, keep us in the loop. Any estimated timelines?
Thanks!

Timeline? Dave Corbin has the money as of last week.

BJ of 3rd Generation Supply sent a box of bullets which Dave would have received about the time he got the money.

I have the Corbin press ordered also to be shipped with the die.

Whatever turn around Dave has is the turn around time.

Oh, and I'll have to find a more permanent residence. The Los Alamos Best Western has limited space.:D 30 days here seems like "solitary!"

I'm going to have to learn how to sort out the culls. from the process. I am considering a Juenke bullet spinner or some other self developed way to measure consistency.

Once I get a run completed and I'll ask for volunteers to test them. I'm stuck in Los Alamos NM for a bunch of months and don't have my backyard range.....

Any 270 shooters (WSM or AM) will be provided a sufficient number of bullets to work up a load and shoot for accuracy, SD/ES and BC. At no cost to them.

With independent testers there will be nothing hidden or not public with any comments positive or negative inclulded in open posts on LRH.

BTW, bc are anticipated to be better than Bergers or JLKs. Especially since each bullet will be processed through a repointer/meplate refiner.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.