270 Allen Mag, Extreme Sporter Range test...

Thanks FiftyDriver! The Mr. was out of respect, more so now that I know your reasons for not having a website. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bryan D asks:
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> Based on a Rem 700 long action what would you be willing to say the cost of one of these 270 Allen Mags would run (if I sent you just the action, 270 win barrel shot out.) </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Did that ever get answered?
I want one. I'll be looking for a used gun that you can convert. What are my options? I know I can get a used Savage much cheaper than a Rem - what do you suggest.

What tools do I need to morph the 7mm RUM brass into 270 AM?
What is the expected barrel life ( 1000, 2000 ?)

B1g_b0re,

The very best option to build on is obviously a Rem 700 RUM receiver. Second best would be a Rem 700 standard magnum receiver which would need only a new mag box and a bit of opening on the feed rails.

The Standar .470 bolt case Rem 700s will also work but there is more mods needed to get them up and running and generally a magnum receiver does not cost any more on the used rack.

The Savage receivers work very well if built properly. They are also very economical. The down side to the Savage is the mag box length and they really so not play well with the fatter shoulder of the Allen Mag case configuration. For a single shot they work extremely well as this is what my 270 Allen Mag is built on.

When the 270 Allen Mag Full Length sizing dies get here from Redding all you will need to do is run a 7mm RUM case through the die and your ready to load and fireform, could not be easier.

In the mean time I have been using a set of 270 WSM dies to neck down the 7mm brass and load the round. These dies even work for neck sizing fired cases and loading fired brass but with the very minimum taper of the Allen Mag you can not use full tilt loads without partial full length sizing. This is the reason my load is only running around 3300 fps at this time.

When the dies get here from Redding, I will be able to run this girl at full pressure and get 3400 fps with the 169.5 gr pills.

Barrel life is a funny thing. The barrels that I am having Lilja build for these are 3 groove 1-8 barrels so this will help extend barrel life. I woudl imagine 1500 rounds would be practical with proper care. If you abuse the barrels you could destroy one in 500 rounds or less.

It will be very similar if not identical to the 7mm RUM in barrel life.

Good SHooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Kirby - awesome info as always. I have 270 WSM dies now. I think I would want your redding dies but I may opt to send in some of my fire formed brass and have custom dies made. At slightly over $200 it seems like a reasonable investment for such a top notch gun.

BTW - I love my .270 WSM Browning A-Bolt - the 270 AM will just be a more accurate/flatter shooting version.

Fifty,

Thanks for the quick response, I'm working on the ol'lady now seeing as how I just bought my 300rum. To send you my action and get it back would I have to go through a FFL or not? And are your Allen mags set up to mainly shoot the wild-cat bullets or would matchkings or berger ulds work (mainly b/c I already have some)?

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> To send you my action and get it back would I have to go through a FFL or not? </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
You are sending it for a repair, so you only need to send it to a FFL. Kirby is a FFL. I sent him two guns a couple weeks back. Don't send it just yet, he needs to finish mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
He's adding Lilja barrels, trigger job, bedding, Holland QD brake to two 300 RUMS (one Savage, one Rem), a 338 RUM and a 375 RUM.

USPS is the best way to send. I heard horror stories about trying to send long guns thru the post office so I talked to the postman first - he said no problem (and it was no problem).

Good Gorsh Kirby-- sounds like u 2 (Richard) are blowing everything right out of the water. Can't wait to get my XP back. Really looking forward to seeing what's possible with it. It oughtta be something to see it sitting next to my Big Eyes atop this big bluff down here with a vast basin in the background-- I'll get it on some magazine, that's for sure. Now i just need to kill some long-range coyote with it, and 1 of Richard's bullets... Been hearing rumors of a new magazine coming out soon dedicated to just this kinda stuff. I'll keep u informed. Sorry to hear about the hunt. If u decide to come to Colo. let me know, i'll help anyway i can.

Bryan D,

No problem you can ship directly to me and I can return ship it directly to you as B1g_b0re has correctly stated.

The Allen Mags were designed around, or should I say along with the Wildcat Bullets but they would work very well with any quality bullet that would be up to handling the strain created by these rounds.

I generally ask my customer what bullet weights and types they want to use and then we select the proper twist rate for their needs.

The Allen Mags can be set up to shoot anything from the lighter weight bullets to the huge Wildcat ULDs so we just have to hash things out and order the correct barrel for your needs.

Simple process!!

Kirby Allen(50)

B1g_b0re,

Yes I hope to get out to test your 300 today and if it passes with flying colors it will be shipped very soon. Your 375 will be next on the chopping block if you will!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Gentlemen,
I have emailed Mr. Allen a number of times and he has given me more information than I've asked for and he's been extremely courteous and timely about it. he's sent volumes of information and a bunch of pictures too. Frankly, I'm glad he doesnt have a website! I can't wait to get mine ordered from him.

SSCoyote,

Did you have Mr. Allen build a rifle for you? If so what did you get? I live in castle rock. Maybe I could get a peak at your rifle? Do you ever get up this way to do some shooting?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts