Re: First range test with the new 1-8 3 groove Lilja 270 Allen Mag bar

<font color="red">BJ + Lerch + 2 new 270 Allen Magnums = </font>

Bullet1Medium.jpg

Bullet2Medium.jpg

Bullet3Medium.jpg

Bullet4Medium.jpg

Bullet5Medium.jpg

I don't plan on the trajectory being quite that flat though. At the ranges we're going to try, even Kirby's souped (sp?) up 270 will have a little arc to it!!!

Sweet pics ss7mm!!!

Well, the dynamic duo is finished, Got out this morning before the major heat and tested Lerch's 270 AM. Performed very well.

309638.jpg

309643.jpg

309648.jpg

His rifle uses the Super Varmint model by Choate which I feel may be a bit easier to use on the bags but the Super Sniper BJ used also proved to work well also. Both will work well off a bipod as well.

309644.jpg

You can see the special custom contour used in this barrel. THis contour was designed for use in my Extreme Sporter V-Block rifles to offer the stability of a full blown V-Block barrel bedded rifle but in a sporter weight barrel. In this system it would be fitted to a 7" V-Block in the forend of an appropriate sporter stock and the receiver would be totally floated.

With this rifle which is conventionally bedded, the reason for using this contour was because there was a barrel order mishap and this barrel blank was offered to be used for Lerches rifle. All the important partied involved know who offered the barrel and lerch and myself are extremely thankful for this fine example of the quality this guy is. No names need to be mentioned, he knows who he is and we greatly appreciate his gesture.

This contour design was also designed for use on conventionally bedded rifles to serve one purpose, to counter the extreme barrel strain that is produced when you drive a heavy, long baring surface bullet to very high speeds. In a traditional barrel you will get a "wringing" effect in the barrel as it is torques severely by the bullet resisting the initial rotational forces of the rifling.

These stresses are mainly generated in the first several inches of barrel. Once the bullet has accelerated and is rotating down the barrel this wringing stabilizes out.

For this reason it was my opinion that the first 6" of barrel are the most critical to have alot of barrel mass in to control these unique stresses.

Basically this contour offers the stiffness of a full 1.255" diameter straight cylinder barrel but with dramatically less barrel weight stressing a conventionally bedded receiver.

This is the first of its kind I have tested but so far it looks to be performing very well. Again, this contour is now offered by Lilja.

I woke up this morning to some strong winds and quite warm temps. By the time I got to my 100 yard range it was about 83 degrees with a 15 mph crosswind. Still I was not concerned with this wind testing the 270 AM at 100 yards. Wild is not a consideration at this range in any wind really.

I used formed cased from BJs rifle and loaded them up with 104.0 gr of WC872 which produced 3377 fps in BJs rifle at around 70 degrees in temp.

I got set up after bore siting the rifle and fired the first shot. Shot number 2 landed roughly 1/2" above the first shot from the oily barrel and the third shot landed within .3" of the second shot.

I let the barrel cool and fired three more for record and was happy to see a sub 1/2" group form. Having not performed any barrel break in I decided that was plenty of accuracy to prove the rifle is a 1/2" or under rifle easily.

I went up and pulled the target and found the last group measured .454" ctc with the first two shots breaking the 1/4" barrier from a freshly machined barrel, I was satisfied.

309649.jpg

The average velocity in this load at around 85 degrees was 3402 fps compared to 3377 fps for BJS rifle in 70 degree temps so I suspect they will be nearly identical in same shooting conditions with this level load.

All in all, the new Lilja proved to be very impressive in performance.

My 500 yard shooting position is currently under about 5" of water from irrigating so that was out. Still, I know Lerch will have no problem holding sub 2" groups at 500 yards after the barrel break in process is complete.

Rifles should ship tomorrow down to OK. Then we should see what these rifles will really do!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Great looking barrel.

Are you going to be building a barrel blocked Allen Mag any time soon for us to look at? I would really like to see what a 257- 270 or 7mm AM barrel blocked would look like in a sporter style stock.

I am gonna go ahead and hop in here and say that yes I am FREAKISHLY excited about getting this bad little mother. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pdogs are sooooooo screwed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lerch:

Great looking rifle! I'm sure you guys are going to be very happy with these two outstanding guns. I think you both made a good investment.

Very interesting barrel contour. I like it. Your guys be sure to track the progress and accuracy as these things get broken in and you get loads you are happy with.

Now the really hard part will be waiting on the little brown truck.

The prairie dogs are in big trouble now!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Buffalobob,

There will be an Extreme Sporter V-Block built before this big game season it the **** stock gets here in time. I will do a full report on this new design with plenty of pics I promise. I am very excited about this design as I think it will take sporter weight rifles to the next level of extreme performance. TIme will tell!

Kirby Allen(50)

Dave Wilson,

Brownells lists both of these stock for $176 + shipping.

In my opinion a very good value for the money.

Kirby Allen(50)

Call Choate machine and tool direct. I think you may be able to beat that price. We got ours through our place of employment, so they were quite a bit cheaper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

thanks guys, i really like that stock.is the stock green or black?what's the difference between the 2 stocks you speak of and it seems these have a bedding block in them.is it worth a try to see if they'll shoot without bedding or should it be bedded? i'm building a 7rum on a short action with a 30" 1.25 dia for 4" and str taper to .785 barrel.i was planning on bedding to the end of the 1.25 dia.- approx 3" since it's a short action.any thoughts? sorry for getting of the subject a little.

Dave,

There are pics of each stock earlier on the post so you can see the visual differences of each.

These stocks use an aluminum skeleton that is covers with a high impact resistant plastic shell. I have never found this type of material to allow the bedding compound to permanently bond to the bedding compound that I am using so I did not bed these rifles and it seems they are shooting extremely well as is. I am sure to some degree a bedding job would increase consistancy but if it will break free down the road it is not worth the money in my opinion.

You are building a 7mm RUM on a short action?? Do you just have the action already so that is why you are using it or do you have other motives for using the SA on the 7mm RUM rifle?

The barrels on both of these Allen Magnums are significantly heavier then the barrel you described so you should not have a problem. Both are 30" and of a heavier contour then the barrel you mention so I would say you would be fine.

I personally do not like using a barrel support bedding pad when I use a top grade barrel. As long as the receiver will handle the weight of the barrel without problems I personally feel anything touching a fine quality barrel will detract from its top accuracy potential.

With the barrel contour you discribe, I do not think you will have any problem at all without bedding the barrel shank.

I would try it without first and then see how she does, you can always add a barrel shank pad later.

Will this be a Rem SA??

Kirby Allen(50)

i've got this sa rem varmint gun that i've never/won't ever use and since i'm not bothered by the fact that it's a single shot and, oh yeah,i don't have much money,i decided on the short action!

i can't see ANY difference in the 2 stocks pictured,that's why i asked.

can i ask what the basic barrel dimensions are on those AM's? from the picture i would have guessed my barrel to be bigger from maybe the 10 to 30" segment of the barrel.i'm assuming you just bolted the barreled action into the stock and the barrel is fully floated in front of the lug with this stock?

Dave,

The barrel on the first rifle has a NBRSA HV Taper that has a 1.250" barrel shank for roughly 5" and then a straight taper to a muzzle diameter of .880"

The second barrel is a custom contour that as a 1.255" barrel shank that is 8" in length and then the barrel has a #7 contour from there to the muzzle with a muzzle diameter of .830"

I had to open up the barrel channels a bit for these barrels which is not a big deal at all with the mill.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts