First test of the 195 gr ULD RBBT in a 270 Allen mag....

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Well, I happen to have Bill and Lerches 270 AMs in the shop to check the throats out. We slightly lengthened the throats to clean up some very minumul heat cracking which I was amazed it was as little as it was for the amount the rifles have been shot. Very impressed with the Lilja 3 groove barrels.

Anyway, I throated them to still work with the great 169.5 gr ULD RBBTs but also to use the new HUGE 195 gr ULD RBBT which had its debut testing over the 4th of July weekend in Richard Graves 277 AM. That test was a screaming success.

I also had to pillar Bed Bills rifle to his A-5 stock and yesterday after the proper cure time I milled up the bedding and put the rig back together and loaded up some test loads with the 195 gr ULD RBBT. I was using US869 for powder and a Fed-215 as always to start the party!!! The test scope was my USS Xotic 4-16x 56mm in Badger Ord Max-50 rings.

Here are the velocity results.

88 gr........2771 fps oily barrel
89 gr........2933 fps
90 gr........2957 fps
91 gr........2993 fps
92 gr........3024 fps
93 gr........3041 fps
94 gr........3070 fps
95 gr........3131 fps
96 gr........3146 fps Slightly sticky extraction
97 gr........3192 fps slightly heavier extraction

The last two had just a bit of sticky extraction but these were only once fired cases so I do not like to see that with this fresh of brass. Older brass you will see more stickiness but should not with fresh hulls.

The first to shots cut each other in half!! The third shot was pilot error as the trigger let loose before I was ready. The shot landed right where it should have from where the reticle was pointing when the rifle barked!!!

On the second three I really paid attention and tried to drive them in there tight. Came up with this three shot group. Not bad for three different loads.

423356.jpg

I let the barrel cool and then moved to the next target square to test the last four shots. The first three would have landed on top of the 0.267" group had I been shooting at the same target box. The group would have been roughly 3/8" ctc for six shots.

The last shot of the test dropped about 3/4" low and to the right. Not bad and it may have been from a bit of barrel heat or pilot error again, I shank some once in a while, well, lets just say I shank some!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All in all I was very impressed. It looked like any velocity from 2900 to 3140 fps was producing VERY fine consistancy on target.

I personally feel that with this bullet in the 270 AM I would load it to the 3070 fps range and leave it there. This would be a VERY comfortable load and very high in performance with the BC of this bullet. Those that want to run things harder could easily work up to the 3125 fps range with this round in a 30" barrel.

Please note though that if you get some of these huge 270 bullets from Richard to start down at 88.0 gr and work up from there to find out what is max in your area. I was shooting in 65 degree temps so keep that in mind. This is a huge bullet with a long baring surface sitting on a pile of powder. Work up for your specific rifle and envirnmental conditions!!

From what I am seeing, in a 1-8 twist barrel, this bullet will be amazing for use in anything from a 270 STW or 270 Allen Xpress up to the 270 RUM, 270 Allen Mag and 277 Allen Magnums.

For it will probably evey work great in something like a 270 WSM or 270 Wby but the 1-8 will have to be proven to handle it at these lower velocities. Expansion will probably not be great in these smaller rounds but it should be adiquate and long range ballistic potential will be unrivaled.

Seems to be another great test with Wildcat Bullets!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

what is the expected BC on those things?

With a BC in the .8 range with those velocities that thing should just about smoke any round shooting less than 120gs of powder , balisticaly anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
.....that thing should just about smoke any round shooting less than 120gs of powder , balisticaly anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's w/a lowly .8 bc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!! Can't wait to get those thing down here and try them out!!

JDJones,

I hesitate to say what we had to use to get the Exbal program to match up to actual bullet flight in the 277 Allen Mag when we tested it over the 4th of July.

Lets just say it was higher then the BC that is produced by the 200 gr ULD RBBT 7mm bullet!!!

I will leave it at that because I have been chewed one to many times over this topic but I will say this. Its higher then any other conventional bullet up and including a 338 cal 300 gr SMK.

Other then that I would just get attacked for making such claims so I will not do it.

Kirby Allen(50)

High enough that nobody would believe you anyway so they can just order some and shoot them and then see what they get. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Looks to me like there's gonna be some mighty happy 270 shooters out there if they have the right barrel and enough horsepower to handle these new Wildcats. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kirby,
This 195 Wildcat really makes me glad I chose the 270 AM! What kind of velocity do you think you could get with fireforming loads using this bullet?
Thanks
Jett

ncshooter,

The 88.0 gr load would be a fine fireforming load and it would produce around 2900 fps in a oil free barrel. That would give you a 200 gr class bullet as fast as the 300 Win Mag will get and with nearly twice the BC.

Oops, that comment will get me in trouble!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Esorensen,

I do not have a 17 that will handle the 45 gr pills YET.

That said, I have shipped some off to a third party to test in a fast twist 17 PPC so when I hear from him I will report the findings. Still waiting on my test rifle componants.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.