First Custom Rifle Concerns

Here's a question for brain trust. How much difference will a bullet seated deep in a short actioned 7 saum actually have in a short barrel? Will a couple grains of capacity make much difference when you only have 20" to get up to speed? Are you going to be better off running less of a faster powder anyways because something like Retumbo is going to be too slow?

@reelamin

The thing is that your examples aren't the same bullet going the same speed. A 7 saum will have 30% less recoil than a 28 Nosler. The 28 Nosler will far exceed my requirements. The cartridges you suggested are much larger and more capable.

In regards to distance, you are on a Long Range Forum. I have killed more animals under 20 yards with my bow, than I have over 100 with a rifle. That doesn't change what I want. LOL

I appreciate your opinion however!

Again start with ammo off the shelf that you can find for the first custom rifle. 7 SAUM or 7 WSM short auctions or 7 RM for LA. Get reloading for these rounds, go through the process of creating a good round. Sorry 6.5 at 600yards with much wind????? in canyons etc.. on the range is very different. (Not starting a opinion issue here.) Just giv'in one. When I began I chose the 7MM WSM found ammo and began improving my shooting skills first. Trigger control, rifle setup etc.... Shooting the rifle does more to improve accuracy. Big Mag rounds oh so cool, however they do cost $$%% to shoot. Now to be honest shooting a 7mm LRM built using GunWerks reamer. I do better with it in the wind. Fun to shoot with a break. Just like hearing the 15" x 15" gong at 1000yards. Still shoot the 7mm WSM as a backup rifle. Good Luck have FUN.

I am looking to build my first custom rifle. I didn't know this would be so hard deciding on what I want and what would best suit my needs.

I want a long range cartridge that provides the least amount of recoil and that will have good performance in a short barrel (suppressed).

I was originally thinking a 7 saum to shoot 180 gr Berger Hybrids. Then I hear that a short action is too short to seat them properly and get performance. I then thought, hey the 7 SS would work. I am not crazy about the Hornady dies (no real reason though). Then I thought, the 7 SST has nice Forster dies, but will I get the performance? Then I thought, I'll do a long action 7 saum, but that seems like a waste and XM actions/stocks are super hard to get.

What should I do?

Looking at the following parts list:
Kelby Atlas Tactical
Rock Creek Carbon Barrel
AG Composite Alpine Hunter (maybe adjustable)
Trigger Tech Primary

Please help guide me!
Steve
I'm not sure who told you you couldn't get performance out a 7 saum with a short action, but I built one off a tikka short action and it shoots 180gr eldm's .25 moa at 100 yards, at 3020fps. Hit 1833 yards last week 3rd shot, cold bore, wind adjustment, whacked it. If I remember right coal is 3.042" with plenty of room.

Attachments

• B7156965-5753-4E24-BD10-21E62F288BF9.png
    B7156965-5753-4E24-BD10-21E62F288BF9.png
    535 KB · Views: 65
There is a lot to recommend a 7SAUM or a 280AI but, those don't have the cachet of a "boutique cartridge" with a lot of supporters (or girls) to hype them.

The vast majority of people buying these super-speed hyped up cartridges can't shoot them to a fraction of their potential unless they are at the bar with a few drinks down the pipe!

In my earlier days, I was a fan of the 338-06 and 7SAUM. Today, I tend to favor the 280AI because I can start with factory 280Rem ammunition out of the box if needed and, get near 7 Remington Magnum handload performance out of it. If the bullet doesn't work on the game animal, it is me, not the cartridge at fault.

More punishing recoil and muzzle blast doesn't make a cartridge better IMHO. Hit in the right spot with an appropriate amount of energy and a good bullet and savor the moment as you dream about the dinners to come from your trophy!

Another vote for Defiance actions, and AG Composite stocks, love how my build came out. Below is what I went with, all up weight before scope and rings is 6lbs 2oz.

DEFIANCE ANTI LONG ACTION MAG BOLT FACE
PROOF Research Pre-Fit 300PRC 1:9 24"
M5 Oberndorf Bottom Metal Aluminum
300 PRC Wyatt box + follower
MBM Beast Ti Brake
AG Composites Privateer
TiggerTech Special

300 PRC.jpg

I don't let the short action-long action debate guide my decision. We're talking 3/4 inch and a couple of ounces.

The AG stock I wanted isn't offered in XM so that helped guide my thoughts as well.

I built a 7 saum with. 195 freebore to run the 180s.

Def anti long action
AG stock
CF barrel at 21 inches 1:8.5
Scoped with suppressor and bipod it's right at 9 pounds and a dream to shoot.

Below is shots 8, 9 and 10.

View attachment 310201View attachment 310202
I'm working on a 6x47 lapua custom build with defiance action, McMillan stock, jewell trigger, NF scope. Pics like this make me itch to get this thing wrapped up. Can't wait for some load development and range time!!

OP... trust your original gut feeling. People are WAYYY overcomplicating this for you.

A 20-22" 7SAUM with a can on it will be perfect for what you described. Everything else is just good for bench racing.

Go with a Defiance Ruckus (or any action that takes shouldered Prefits) and get one of those Manners stocks with a mini-chassis (for this application I would recommend an EH1A), and a Proof carbon pre-fit; save yourself a ton of time and cut the gunsmith out of the equation entirely this way (if you can tighten the lugnuts on your car you can assemble a rifle). Accurate mag makes a SAUM/WSM compatible AICS mag that can take up to 2.95" COAL so no need to go with a long action. Again... stop overcomplicating this, you had the best idea right from the start, stick with it.

ETA... this is me last week hunting second rifle in Colorado with the exact setup I detailed above (borrowed from a friend, and now in the process of building my own) except its a 6.5mm instead of a 7mm.
CO.jpg

Look at the velocity that you need with a bullet that you are planning to use. i would use a long action to start with, even if you don't need it presently. I note your are planning to change out barrels to use different cartridges. That's ok, or I feel that's Ok. The reason for the long action is it leaves your options open to use different cartridges with difference barrels. So once you have the basic set up your won't be up against the wall like you are presently. A muzzle brake will do just fine. Suppressor if you really need one. Barrel length helps in velocity and other things. It does create additional weight. At the same time so does a suppressor.

1 rifle. Deer to 1000 yards and elk to 700 yards. In regards to suppressed, I will be shooting the rifle with a TBAC Ultra 7 Gen 2 is all.
Do you have them reversed I would do an elk out to 1000 in deer out to seven smaller Killzone

You could do a Defiance anti or anti-x in their XM length action. That action allows out to 3.2 COAL that should get you there and plenty I would think. I personally would use a gunsmith or send in a dummy round to a prefit company to get the proper freebore for your bullet. This would also make sure you took advantage of the 3.2 coal that the XM action would give.
I would do manners new long range hunter stock, a trigger tech trigger of your choice, whichever carbon company you want in a 22 inch and roll with it.
I had a long action rolling around and built a 24 inch 280 AI shooting the 162s at 3040. It's a hammer and your SAUM or Sherman short would be similar I am sure.