First custom LR rifle

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Jackmonkey, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Jackmonkey

Jackmonkey Well-Known Member

So I have finally taken the plunge and ordered a custom rifle. After many weeks of scouring this forum, looking at websites, talking to people and handling rifles at gun/outdoor shows, I decided to have Dallas at Lane Precision Rifles build one of his Long Range Hunters for me in 6.5-284 Norma. This rifle will be used for medium game out to 800 yards and shooting steel/paper to 1000 yards. Here are the specs:

Stiller Tac 300 receiver
    Bartlien barrel - Rem varmit contour w/heavy spiral fluting, finished at 26"
    Muzzle brake and thread protector
    Jewel trigger @2 lbs
    Manners T6A stock
    Nightforce 5.5-20x56 with MOAR reticle
    Nightforce UL rings and anti-cant bubble

I'm very excited to get this rifle in my hands. I will post pics once I have them.

I will be using Lapua brass and A-Max bullets. Probably will use H4831SC and 215 primers but need to play around with it.
    Does anyone have any experience with terminal performance with this combo?

2. peashooter

peashooter Well-Known Member

My experiences have shown the AMax to be an excellent long range bullet as they expand at the lower velocities of a long range shot. Conversely watch your shot placement at closer ranges as the AMax has a tendency to explode on bone.

3. Jackmonkey

Re: First custom LR rifle *Pics added*

I picked up my rifle Saturday. I have to say that Dallas at Lane Precision Rifles did an outstanding job. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I sure did fondle it a lot. :D

Stiller Predator TAC 300 action
    Bartlein 26" Rem varmint contour chambered in 6.5-284 custom spiral fluted
    Shorty custom brake
    Jewel trigger set at 1.5#
    BDL machined custom bottom metal
    Manners T6A fully bedded stock
    Kryptek Typhon hydro-dip
    Cerakoted tungsten with black accents
    NightForce Ti rings, anti cant and NXS 5.5-22x50 MOAR ret HS ZS
    Weighs in at 12lbs 9ozs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This group was shot off of the ammo box pictured. Dallas forgot his bench rest that morning.
    [​IMG]

4. rdsewell

rdsewell Well-Known Member

Looks like you done all your research and chose wisely. Very nice looking build. Good luck with it.

5. chrishatley

chrishatley Well-Known Member

Man, that's one mean lookin' rifle. Congrats

6. peashooter

peashooter Well-Known Member

Nice rifle! Looks like it shoots as well as it appears looks wise. Have fun and shoot straight.

7. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

I have one in the works now with Dallas.

300 WM mag with Defiance action and Proof Research barrel. All bedded into a Rifleman stock.

8. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

Very, very, very nice. Congratulations

9. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

im not big on black on black rifles but this one is the exception. I love that! very nice rig!

10. Jackmonkey

Thanks guys. It took me a while to decide on the color but I thought the Kryptek Typhoon really set it off. It's subtle but bad ass at the same time.
    I already have the camo/color combo for next next build figured out.

Sitting in the hospital now waiting for my son to be born so don't know when I will get to shoot it but it's all good. :) I will post pics of groups at 200+.

11. Jackmonkey

So I finally got out to shoot my rifle. Here is a picture of my first 3 shots out of it with the load that Dallas gave me. Not bad at all! Should of put some cardboard behind the target to clean up the holes.

Attached Files:

12. Canadian Bushman

Canadian Bushman Well-Known Member

Nice rifle sir!!!
    Looks like a few more than three shots there.

13. Litehiker

Litehiker Well-Known Member

OOO! OOO! Spiral fluted bolt AND barrel! Very nice touch.

Great grouping. You've got all the right components and it proves the saying that the whole is more than just the sum of the

Makes my fluted barrel 300 Win. mag. look very plain. I showed it your photos and it's jealous and started whining about wanting a spiral fluted bolt.

BTW, 6.5-284 is screaming cartridge. I just ordered a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. It seems that 6.5s are all good shooting cartridges.

14. Jackmonkey

Re: First custom LR rifle *Updated*

It's hard to find range time with work, school and a 3 month old at home but I finally got out to test different seating depths today. The target shows 5 groups of 3 shots each at 0.000", 0.005", 0.010", 0.015" and 0.020". I couldn't use my lead sled, I could see my heartbeat moving the crosshairs in the scope and had booming rifles on both sides of me but with all of that, I think my rifle likes the Bergers seated at 0.010" off the lands. Now to load up some rounds and start shooting at distance to verify drop. Should be ready for this season. :)

6.5-284 Lapua brass
    Berger 140 grain VLD
    53.5 grains H4831sc
    Federal 215M

I did adjust the scope before shooting the 0.015" group.

Attached Files: