First Custom Rifle Concerns

I know it's been said already but if you go with a saum why not a Sherman max? I built one (my first custom) on a LA 24"proof sendero light carbon with a Archimedes. Dressed and loaded it's about 10# w/ shv. I went max because if I had to I could use saum ammo if needed. I've found accuracy at around 2900 and 2800 FPS using r26 1-8.4t w/ 195 eol and I live in Hawaii so we hunt above 85°. Two loads two different primers. It was on an LA because the OAL was about 3.1" but I have the action wrench and vise so I could change barrels and chambering as I wanted. I use aics mags and it feeds well with the eols, 139 interbonds and if you feed it fast 154 interlocks. It's been out to 1064yds with the eols but not on paper and I'm happy with it. But I was looking for a lighter carry for longer hunts.

Currently got a 6.5 sst 1-8t switch barrel in the works as a light deer gun for me and my daughter. It's on a ti SA 22" sendero carbon and should come in at about 7.5# loaded with a zeiss v4. I am looking at 153.5 hybrids for me and hammers for her or 129 interbonds or LRABs. I can keep up or out run a 6.5 prc with better brass.

I was also thinking to complement with a 7ss as I recall it's only 50 FPS less than the max? And I heard it's the most balanced of the line. With 180's it should be more than enough and can fit a SA nicely. We can't have cans here but even if you go with a 22" barrel and a can I don't see velocity of the SS being much different from the max I have. But as you know the 7mm has better bullet selection and I've been leaning more towards monos so my twist could be considered low for heavier selections.

The biggest problem now is availability. Monos don't seem to be a problem at this point. Our LGS shelves are empty here and odd ball cartridges are hard to come by but don't move as fast. Powder comes and goes. Primers and heads hard to come by. I reload and lived through Clinton and Obama so I am better off than some but it's been a bugger to find components. So that's why I settled on the 6.5 sst. I have brass dies and components. Everything else for factory is ? It's going to be a while yet before things get better but who knows when it's "normal." If you want more speed you do the Sherman mega but brass won't be out until Jan last I heard.

Don't be limited by the SA. It's only a few ounces. Probably only 3 at the most. You could shave that with the scope easily. A LA will open more doors for you and if you go ti or anti then it's even closer is weight to a SA. BEEN there.

Spent all most two years figuring what I wanted to order/build. Take your time and do research. Check stuff out at the range and be happy with your selections.

S

Flop,

I went down the Gunwerks Podcast rabbit hole yesterday after someone suggested that (thanks alot Wasskeet). This episode really does a great job of putting things into perspective. Caliber and cartridge selection, horsepower vs recoil, barrel length...

Aaron is pretty knowledgable and can build/shoot/hunt whatever he wants so I give his advice a lot of weight. He shoots suppressed, short barreled, 7mms. His elk set up is a LRH bc he is pushing out to 1200 yds, but reading between the lines you can see he would tell you to go SAUM for your requirements (1000yds, still at 1800 fps).

I am looking to build my first custom rifle. I didn't know this would be so hard deciding on what I want and what would best suit my needs.

I want a long range cartridge that provides the least amount of recoil and that will have good performance in a short barrel (suppressed).

I was originally thinking a 7 saum to shoot 180 gr Berger Hybrids. Then I hear that a short action is too short to seat them properly and get performance. I then thought, hey the 7 SS would work. I am not crazy about the Hornady dies (no real reason though). Then I thought, the 7 SST has nice Forster dies, but will I get the performance? Then I thought, I'll do a long action 7 saum, but that seems like a waste and XM actions/stocks are super hard to get.

What should I do?

Looking at the following parts list:
Kelby Atlas Tactical
Rock Creek Carbon Barrel
AG Composite Alpine Hunter (maybe adjustable)
Trigger Tech Primary

Please help guide me!
Steve
I built a 7rem mag, shooting the 180hybrid at 3050fps, a short mag getting that bullet around 2900fps will be suitable for 700yard elk, but there's not a lot extra. Reality is a 7mm is good compromise on recoil and long range performance. I really like my rifle, the other caliber of choice was a 300wsm in a long action and run heavy 30cal bullets

@TX Badger

Sounds like they only shoot 168 gr in short actions.
I punched in 3000 fps for 168s and 2900 fps for 180s as rough estimates in a short barrel and the numbers are almost identical. I think it will be a lot easier to get the 168s up to speed in the short barrel bc you can use a faster powder.

You're going to run into a trade off somewhere...

As a retired gunsmith and gunmaker I will tell you what I built the most of for elk and deer was the 25-06! I don't understand why your shooting at such long ranges but I've shot alot of both in my 70 years of hunting, doubt if I ever shot big game at over 200 yds!
For me, it was the main reason I have used a 30-06 for hunting more than 59 years. I could always dial down bullet weight for deer or dial up for elk. Eventually through the years I settled on one weight for both a 165 grainer. Did great on both deer and elk.

As a retired gunsmith and gunmaker I will tell you what I built the most of for elk and deer was the 25-06! I don't understand why your shooting at such long ranges but I've shot alot of both in my 70 years of hunting, doubt if I ever shot big game at over 200 yds!
And yet here we are, on a LONG RANGE hunting forum…