Favorite anti-cant level

What is ;your mounting devise or who makes it. That seem to me a better way to mounting a level. I don't like things sticking out anymore than has to be on a rifle. Your attachment seen to able to lay it down on the scope.
Yeah it folds. I also like that its plastic. Snaps right back from brush hangups, etc.
I especially like the eye alignment during use. They've been very reliable for me.

https://scopelevel.com/ I had been buying them from Sinclair, but they are now compromised since Brownells bought them, and knocked many competing American products off Sinclair's table..

Yeah it folds. I also like that its plastic. Snaps right back from brush hangups, etc.
I especially like the eye alignment during use. They've been very reliable for me.

https://scopelevel.com/ I had been buying them from Sinclair, but they are now compromised since Brownells bought them, and knocked many competing American products off Sinclair's table..
Thanks!

Flatline….
48EF64A6-3152-42E9-90DB-58725344898A.jpeg

Horizonal error;

Level the reticle;

I have found that placing a bubble level on top of the elevation dial does not assure a level or plumb reticle.

Using the info in the first attachment:

The midrange trajectory of the pointy 140 grain Hornady ELDM bullet, having a sight height of 1.7 inches, MV of 2950 fps, at 1000 yards is close to 90 inches (my 6.5-06). The estimator for a line of sight thru bore is 4 times the mid-range trajectory or 90 * 4 = 360 inches (dimension PT). The calculation for a 3 degree cant would be the line of sight displacement * sine of the cant or 360 * .052 = 19 inches horizontal. The vertical displacement is negligible. This is another factor to consider when shooting deers & such at long range like 1000.

For a shot at a pop can size rodent at 650 yards with a easily overlooked 1 degree cant using a 87 Vmax at 3475 fps at 650 yards - the mid range trajectory is 26 inches > 26 * 4 = 104, sine 1 degree = .017, 104 * .017 = 1.8 inches. Another factor in addition to wind. The rodent target would be somewhat less than 4 inches wide - wait until they are belly to dirt before taking the shot - most misses are left/right.

Upon leveling the reticle install the bubble level thingy on the scope. Placing a level on top of the elevation dial/knob won't work so good if the reticle is tilted in relation to the adjustment knob/dial. Some of my Leupold scopes are affected with tilted reticles.
Plum bob & level

I use the Flatline OPS on all my rifles and I love them. Putting a cheap level on your rifle is like putting a cheap scope on one. doesn't make sense. I went to Africa with a buddy a few years back. He asekd about what level to put on his 28 Nosler and I recommended the Flatline OPS, he desided on another brand and the first animal he went after the bubble drop[ed out of the housing. Spent the remaining 8 days without one. You get what you pay for. JMO

I'll be totally honest. I don't see any reason to spend a lot of money on a level. I bought a fist full of them off eBay a while back for $3 a piece. Now you can find them for $5. Yeah they are rough milled. But once you level the rifle and then install the bubble level it serves purpose just fine. Here's a pic I took for a friend describing how I install them. I can look through the scope with my right eye and see the bubble with my left eye with out moving my head. So I can get set up on the target, use my left eye to check the bubble, use my right eye to aim and fire and never have to move my head. This rifle also has a bubble on the scope mount. I also prefer to mount mine out by the bell of the scope that way my eyes don't have to change focus as much to see it. The closer it is to my face it takes longer to focus on the bubble and then focus back on the reticle and target. With the bubble mounted right up against the scope bell it's almost instant to swap focus.
^^^^^^ THIS JUST FIND A COLOR COMBO YOU CAN SEE LOTS OF CONTRAST. ^^^^^^

Bubble levels - carpenters have been using bubble type levels for 100's of years - simple devices.

I paid about $10 for this one at a local pawn shop - works great, most likely die cast aluminum, I lapped the inside to improve contact with scope tube. I mounted it and use it just like as described by ShootnMathews ("I can look through the scope with my right eye and see the bubble with my left eye without moving my head").

Mounting the bubble level on the scope correctly is essential and the level needs to coincide (correspond in position; meet or intersect) with the reticle, like don't depend on using the top of the elevation dial as a reference.

Knowing the consequences of scope cant and how to calculate cant error is helpful. A 1-degree cant will cause a lateral error of almost 2 inches with an 87 VMax at 3450 fps at 650 yards.

Knowing how to precisely mount the bubble level to coincide with the reticle is essential:

IMG_1924.JPG

Last edited:
I use the Flatline OPS on all my rifles and I love them. Putting a cheap level on your rifle is like putting a cheap scope on one. doesn't make sense. I went to Africa with a buddy a few years back. He asekd about what level to put on his 28 Nosler and I recommended the Flatline OPS, he desided on another brand and the first animal he went after the bubble drop[ed out of the housing. Spent the remaining 8 days without one. You get what you pay for. JMO
What ranges were you shooting at?

I shoot to 1000 yards, sometimes a little farther. I have stretched it out to 1400 a few times. Not on game animals just on steel and rocks. Farthest kill to date is 850.
No what range was he shooting at in Africa? At that time.

The last shot that I made that was of any distances was a great many years ago. (Approx 500yds) All I had was a head shot at that time. I used my Kentucky windage system that I had develop even longer back. Before the days of any real range finders. The bullet hit between the eyes as where I placed the shot.
It was a nice buck that I had wounded the day or so before. I had track him all afternoon, and finally losted his track, and dark was closing in on me. I had to make a trail before dark to the camp site or I was in trouble. It wasn't the easiest trail to locate. I got back to camp well after dark.
I do miss once in awhile or not get the bullet in the correct spot.
I held my shots to about 500yds over the years. Not going passed that.
At 75 I see the errors of my ways. "NEVER TO OLD TO LEARN".
I have found this to be very interesting and informative at the same time.
With the rifle I had built and one on the way. Looking to extend my yards out to 700yds or so. I feel I would have ran into this problem, and not knowing about it, would have put me in a troubled spot.
The rabbit hole!
Thanks to all that had put this information before us or me.