explosive bullet for deer

I have been using the 125 gr Nosler ballistic tips in a 308 at 3050 fps and in a 30X47 HBR at 2850 fps and they kill deer like you jerked the ground from under them. I have killed around 15 deer with the bullet and never had a single one take a step. I too would bet that your 180 RN did not get into any vitals. It must have glanced off the shoulder bone or your angle was just off and it just hit the shoulder and missed going through to the vitals. It happens to the best of us.

one of the dirty little secrets about terminal bullet performance is the fact that a flat nose non-expanding bullet can leave a larger wound channel than an expanding bullet.

IMO, the only knock against a flat nosed bullet is the BC!

If you could make a solid bullet with a high BC nose that would disintegrate on contact you would have the best bullet available. IMO, IMO, IMO :)

Terminal Ballistics

GS CUSTOM BULLETS - Download the slide show.

edge.

PS did I say that this is IMO :)

Dave Wilson and Edge you're spot on about flat point bullets. When I was in high school and didn't know that militarey FMJ bullet would not "kill well. I lost count of the number of hogs that we killed with them (WW11 30-06 surplus ammo) it wasn't untill I got to reading gun rags, that I found out that they would only "wound". My brothers, first cousin, and myself, bought what we could afford and we had manny DRT kills with those bullets. Never shot anything over 150 yards or so I'd say, but they killed every thing that we shot with them.

Maybe we were just lucky I don't know but any bullet through the vitals is deadly IME.

Sometimes deer can take a hell of a hit and continue on for miles. Not every deer that is shot is going to act the same every time. That 180 round nose probably did the job but sometimes they just do not bleed to follow. Do not blame yourself or the bullet it just happens.

I killed a blacktail buck a few years back using 125 gr. BTs in my 30-06. It was about 200 yds with just about a perfect broadside shot. He stumbled forward and that was it. The bullet went in,did its magic, and exited with about a quarter size hole. I stopped using them because my imagination got the best of me. I was concerned about excessive damage when it came to close range-imperfect shots. I went to Nosler Accubonds. Mike

thanks guys:D im lookin forward to puttin one of these little grenades in the boiler room over the next 2 weeks....with a lot of luck, it just might be the same deer. im not concerned much about exiting, because the ones ive shot that the bullet exploded and didnt exit, were the ones that fell on their nose at the shotgun) last i checked, noone i know eats the lungs haha

Captn C

The thing to remember is Nosler BT's are designed for impact velocity of 3000-1600 fps. The AB's are designed for impact velocities of 3100-1800 fps.
The 125 gr BT might be a little light. I would recommend the 150 gr BT/AB on the light weight side and the 165 gr BT/AB as ideal for your 30-06. If you put a 165 gr BT in the chest, he won't go far.

JD338

You put a 125 Nolser ballistic tip in the vitals and he won't go anywhere but straight down on the ground. You do not need to push that bullet as fast it will go in a 30-06 though. 3050 fps is plenty enough velocity I have found out using my 308. With a 3 inch high zero at 100 yards it only drops down 3 3/4 inch at 300 yards. That means a center hold from 0 to 300 yards and not worry about over or under shooting. Week before last I dropped two bucks in their tracks using the 125 ballistic tip at 2850 fps from my 30X47 HBR. One was a big 200 pound 9 pointer at 112 yards shot through the center of the front shoulders and the bullet exited the other shoulder. The other was a cull cow horn at 140 yards slightly quarting away and was hit on the back edge of one front shoulder and exited in the center of the off shoulder. I would try 52 to 53 grs Varget in your 06 for 3000 to 3100 fps. I also shot a big doe that was facing me at 155 yards with my 308 and the 125 ballistic tip. I held for a high chest shot and she dropped like a brick. When I dressed her out she was jelly from where her neck entered her body all the way into her chest cavity. The only thing holding her neck to her body was the hide. Like I said in post a page or so back. I have shot around 15 deer with the 125 Balistic tip and have not had a single one take a step.

rt2506, thats exactly what i need to hear:) i have some load work to do before i decide on the final load, but i probably wont load it down. i only have a 22" tube, so i doubt ill be able to top 3250 anyway. and the little bit extra punch, as long as the groups are tight, will make me feel that much better.

im headin back out now... cant wait to see how the 125's do for megun)

I shot the 180 bt's for years out of my '06's. I used the 180's because it was the only one recommended by Nosler for big game, up to deer size. They were very explosive, damaging. I lost shoulders on deer that were hit well behind the shoulder.

I agree w/ Dave, the GS custom is the best bullet on the market for close to long range all in one bullet. I have been using them for the last two years, and have never seen performance like them before. They do not damage the meat much at all.

This year in my big 30 cal I used the E-tip. It performs much like the GS as far as meat damage, and also works very well at close range and long range. Shot a large mule deer at 80 yrds w/ 3600 fps muzzle velocity, drt. Shot a small antelope doe at 800 yrds, full body length penetration with devastating expansion.

My preference is still with the GS, although the E-tip is much easier to get and works very well.

I lean towards large full penetrating wound channel vs explosive bullets, less chance for something to wrong, imho. The beauty of it is there is enough choices that you can try new stuff for a very long time.:D

Good luck to you, Steve

RockyMtnMT, I agree I'm went through the "explosive" bullet BS years ago. I am penetration guy now. I've had great results with the TSX bullets very accurate and deadly. My longest shot on game with the TSX is 777 yards with a DRT kill. Internaly damage is great with the TSX in my experience

well, monday i got a dose of "penetration", but tonight i got a dose of "explosion". the 125 hit her in the elbow, and exploded thru the chest. it jellied the lungs, and top of heart, and shrapnel pierced all the way to the hide above the spine, and down to the breast plate. no exit. no need. the hide was stretched off the rib cage on the far side, and there was no bullet left:D love it. the doe made one long stride and fell on her nose. 164 lb doe. i cannot imagine a scenerio where this bullet could not do the job. at least for deer, this is what ill be using from now on.

im sure there are times when a little more penetration would be helpful, but im not bear hunting.... a deer is only about 12" wide, so any more than 12" of penetration seems a waste...

BIff, good for you. I told you that 125 Nosler Ballistic Tip was a real killer on deer. I will have to agree with you about deer. When you have killed on the heavy side of 200 like I have you learn a thing or two. A deer has a chest only about a foot thick or less and once a bullet has exited it can't do any more damage to the deer. If the bullet or many fragments makes it to just under the hide on the off side and it has turned everything in the chest cavity to jelly the bullet has done it's work. If you strained the remains of that deers vitals you would most likely find part of the fully expanded jacket of the bullet. The thick base of the jacket holds it together. I have found a few. If you ever decide to use a 25-06 on deer use either of the Sierra 117 gr bullets. They kill deer just like that 30 cal 125 BT.

And the really cool thing is that the front half of the deer only needs to be wrapped up. Ready to grill burgers.:D

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.